What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:Oh.

Mind you turn 15 at China is pretty lame too so it's not on it's own.

Surprised there was such a big conversation about small corners, but then I remembered you guys were into kinky stuff...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Rocks with Salt wrote:Actually, that sounds like a good idea in case another Korean GP fiasco occurs.

I don't think that was a fiasco. I think it was very deliberately done that way to give the teams an extra engine (or at least to leave the possibility of an extra engine open).
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Rocks with Salt wrote:Usually you guys are much more vigilant about this than I am, but I'm surprised nobody posted this yet:

The Walloon government has invested enough capital to keep the Belgian Grand Prix on the calendar until 2018.

This essentially means that every track on my track board that I posted on the last page is slotted in the "A-OK" column. With so many locations wanting to host an F1 race, this is going to become a bidding war that can only benefit Bernie's pockets unless they want to expand the calendar again.

Soon they'll have tracks that will bid for a spot on the "Backup List" just in case one track can't fulfill its obligations and they need a replacement on the fly. Actually, that sounds like a good idea in case another Korean GP fiasco occurs.

Phew.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Oh.

Mind you turn 15 at China is pretty lame too so it's not on it's own.

Surprised there was such a big conversation about small corners, but then I remembered you guys were into kinky stuff...

Especially kinky chickens!!! ;) :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Simtek wrote:The 'ring's gone. :(

And this is the part when the 'ring gets proofly Tilked

Like this (dramatization)

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

... you do realise they already "Tilked" the Nurburgring, right?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Salamander wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

Yes, but i mean more intensely Tilked
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Salamander wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:And this is the part when the 'ring gets proofly Tilked

Yes, but i mean more intensely Tilked

Except that such a modification would only waste money, since it's (presumably) track attendance that is causing the GP to move.
Everything's great.
Bobby Doorknobs

Salamander wrote:Except that such a modification would only waste money, since it's (presumably) track attendance that is causing the GP to move.

It doesn't seem like a very good reason to move it. Hockenheim's attendance wasn't exactly impressive last year either...
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Simtek wrote:
Salamander wrote:Except that such a modification would only waste money, since it's (presumably) track attendance that is causing the GP to move.

It doesn't seem like a very good reason to move it. Hockenheim's attendance wasn't exactly impressive last year either...

Finance is the issue...Hockenheim is slightly better off than the Nurburgring in that respect.

And (pardon this mid-post rant) please, can we stop using "Tilke" as if it's some kind of synonym for butchered? Fine, the man divides opinion, but you cannot deny the bulk of his tracks have actually been pretty good. Sepang has been awesome. Shanghai had a bit of a reputation, but in the past few years it's produced some good races and is more or less a calendar staple. People moan about Abu Dhabi, but I think the circuit and the bright, shiny surroundings are a real celebration of F1. Bahrain's produced some good races as well, and we have the novelty of Singapore too. Fine, Korea and India were lacking somewhat, although if Korea was actually not in the middle of nowhere and had a bit of scenery we might feel a little better about it. We didn't really get to see what Sochi was capable of either, since a number of factors ensured that its potential to kick up good races was masked. It was a little similar to Valencia, which had a couple of good races too.

As for his modifications, the Red Bull Ring is a fan favourite and this year showed it was still churning out good races. Hockenheim used to be a power circuit, but now actually requires skill to navigate. The races at Fuji were also pretty good. People just like to moan because he dared to change a layout people were familiar with.

Tilke has been commissioned to produce circuits that create overtaking opportunities in modern Formula 1. I think he's generally acheived that, and I don't like the way he's become an easy target for casual fans to vent their fury.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Gotta say I am not surprised about Nurgburgring going and I reckon it is part of a long-term strategy to make F1 in Germany uneconomical to get them back for attempting to mess with Bernie
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The modern day 'ring I will always remember as Badoers track.
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think part of the problem with Tilke, aside from the fact that he usually has an awful canvas to work with in terms of being forced to design street circuits, is that his circuits try to be all things to all people. Look at the older circuits and most of them have a distinct character, like Monza and Hockenheim are/were known as power circuits, Silverstone being known as a big aero circuit, Suzuka as a technical circuit and Hungaroring as a tight circuit. Very few of the Tilke tracks are talked about in the same manner, its as if there is a requirement for each track to have a certain number of hairpins, or sweepers, or long straights. Tilke tracks are often a great challenge for the drivers, but by having all these elements on the same track in order to produce a rounded challenge, it actually makes the racing more predictable. A car suited to one Tilke circuit is likely to be suited to all Tilke circuits - look at Red Bull in recent years and the races that they didn't win were primarily on non-Tilke circuits. At least with say Monza and Hungaroring, you're more likely to see different teams coming to the fore than the "normal pecking order".
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

watka wrote:I think part of the problem with Tilke, aside from the fact that he usually has an awful canvas to work with in terms of being forced to design street circuits, is that his circuits try to be all things to all people. Look at the older circuits and most of them have a distinct character, like Monza and Hockenheim are/were known as power circuits, Silverstone being known as a big aero circuit, Suzuka as a technical circuit and Hungaroring as a tight circuit. Very few of the Tilke tracks are talked about in the same manner, its as if there is a requirement for each track to have a certain number of hairpins, or sweepers, or long straights. Tilke tracks are often a great challenge for the drivers, but by having all these elements on the same track in order to produce a rounded challenge, it actually makes the racing more predictable. A car suited to one Tilke circuit is likely to be suited to all Tilke circuits - look at Red Bull in recent years and the races that they didn't win were primarily on non-Tilke circuits. At least with say Monza and Hungaroring, you're more likely to see different teams coming to the fore than the "normal pecking order".

This. This, so much.

Apart from a couple of exceptions, Tilke's circuits don't give generally bad racing, and those saying they do are saying it because they don't want to mention their actual reason. That, or they're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Anyways, the main problem with Tilkedromes is the fact that they can be regrouped in one word. "Tilkedrome". When you hear/read that word, what do you think of? Overly long straights into tight corners, occasionally preceded by tight hairpins as well, obligatory section with fast and flowing corners, expansive run-off areas, flashy architecture in the pits and grandstands... If you try to describe a Tilkedrome, the description you come up with can also describe most others, and that's why a lot of people dislike them. They lack character, something that sets them apart from others. The lack of corner names doesn't help. It's easier to remember an overtake if it's "slipstreaming past into Stowe" rather than "outbraking into Turn 5".

Tilke's tracks correspond to a formula for successful tracks. And they're completely artificial. The reason older circuits are so revered is that their layout was determined by nature, by streams, hills, valleys, forests. They feel natural. You're going around the hill instead of negotiating a low-speed hairpin complex. In trying to make good circuits, Tilke hasn't been given the most crucial thing in making a circuit that stands out: geology. Without natural elevation changes, every corner seems forced, unnecessary. They don't feel right.

And that's the problem with Tilkedromes.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:
watka wrote:I think part of the problem with Tilke, aside from the fact that he usually has an awful canvas to work with in terms of being forced to design street circuits, is that his circuits try to be all things to all people. Look at the older circuits and most of them have a distinct character, like Monza and Hockenheim are/were known as power circuits, Silverstone being known as a big aero circuit, Suzuka as a technical circuit and Hungaroring as a tight circuit. Very few of the Tilke tracks are talked about in the same manner, its as if there is a requirement for each track to have a certain number of hairpins, or sweepers, or long straights. Tilke tracks are often a great challenge for the drivers, but by having all these elements on the same track in order to produce a rounded challenge, it actually makes the racing more predictable. A car suited to one Tilke circuit is likely to be suited to all Tilke circuits - look at Red Bull in recent years and the races that they didn't win were primarily on non-Tilke circuits. At least with say Monza and Hungaroring, you're more likely to see different teams coming to the fore than the "normal pecking order".

This. This, so much.

Apart from a couple of exceptions, Tilke's circuits don't give generally bad racing, and those saying they do are saying it because they don't want to mention their actual reason. That, or they're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Anyways, the main problem with Tilkedromes is the fact that they can be regrouped in one word. "Tilkedrome". When you hear/read that word, what do you think of? Overly long straights into tight corners, occasionally preceded by tight hairpins as well, obligatory section with fast and flowing corners, expansive run-off areas, flashy architecture in the pits and grandstands... If you try to describe a Tilkedrome, the description you come up with can also describe most others, and that's why a lot of people dislike them. They lack character, something that sets them apart from others. The lack of corner names doesn't help. It's easier to remember an overtake if it's "slipstreaming past into Stowe" rather than "outbraking into Turn 5".

Tilke's tracks correspond to a formula for successful tracks. And they're completely artificial. The reason older circuits are so revered is that their layout was determined by nature, by streams, hills, valleys, forests. They feel natural. You're going around the hill instead of negotiating a low-speed hairpin complex. In trying to make good circuits, Tilke hasn't been given the most crucial thing in making a circuit that stands out: geology. Without natural elevation changes, every corner seems forced, unnecessary. They don't feel right.

And that's the problem with Tilkedromes.

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've mixed feelings about Tilkodromes. I do think they get some unfair criticism though. Something they do have is a long straight or two - excellent in the DRS age but sadly no good for lunching ultra reliable engines. And I'd take one of them any day over the Hungaroring or Monaco.
I lament the alterations made to the old classic circuits; Hockenheim and Silverstone have been neutered - thank god Monza's been left alone.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Spectoremg wrote:I've mixed feelings about Tilkodromes. I do think they get some unfair criticism though. Something they do have is a long straight or two - excellent in the DRS age but sadly no good for lunching ultra reliable engines. And I'd take one of them any day over the Hungaroring or Monaco.
I lament the alterations made to the old classic circuits; Hockenheim and Silverstone have been neutered - thank god Monza's been left alone.

At what point was Monza "left alone"? It's had more layout changes than anyone can remember.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:I've mixed feelings about Tilkodromes. I do think they get some unfair criticism though. Something they do have is a long straight or two - excellent in the DRS age but sadly no good for lunching ultra reliable engines. And I'd take one of them any day over the Hungaroring or Monaco.

At what point was Monza "left alone"? It's had more layout changes than anyone can remember.

I'm ever so sorry, I didn't realise it was National Be Specific Day; Monza's been roughly the same layout with tweaks since colour telly was available :roll:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

To be honest - and I expect to get a lot of flak for this but whatever - Monza could do with an adjustment. There are only 3 corners worth mentioning on the track, the Lesmos and the Parabolica. Everything else is either flat out or chicanes.
Everything's great.
Bobby Doorknobs

Salamander wrote:To be honest - and I expect to get a lot of flak for this but whatever - Monza could do with an adjustment. There are only 3 corners worth mentioning on the track, the Lesmos and the Parabolica. Everything else is either flat out or chicanes.

Bring back the oval I say! :P

But no, I'm happy with Monza the way it is.
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Salamander wrote:To be honest - and I expect to get a lot of flak for this but whatever - Monza could do with an adjustment. There are only 3 corners worth mentioning on the track, the Lesmos and the Parabolica. Everything else is either flat out or chicanes.

That's the point. It's different from other tracks by its primitive nature.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

In comparison to the rest of the calendar, Monza is the most unique because there's a lack of features in it. For me, I like power circuits with a decent corner or two, which is why Monza is my favorite track out there. If the old Hockenheim was still around (not angry at the mods, they are justified), perhaps Monza wouldn't be as iconic as a flat out power circuit.

My only problem with the calendar is besides Monza, Spa, and Silverstone (which is debatable), are the only engine breakers out there. Correct me if I'm wrong about that statement, but besides those 3, there isn't much of anything that really tests the durability of engines.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

watka wrote:

Yeah, but would it kill them to maybe spice it up a bit? It's dull as dishwater for me as-is.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
watka wrote:

Yeah, but would it kill them to maybe spice it up a bit? It's dull as dishwater for me as-is.

I'd like to knpw how you'd think Monza could be spiced up. I think it's fine as is, and I'm intrigued to know why.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:I'd like to knpw how you'd think Monza could be spiced up. I think it's fine as is, and I'm intrigued to know why.

I dunno, I'm not a track designer and I don't pretend to be. I just think having only 3 corners worth mentioning is kind of dull. There's got to be something else you can do with the track.
Everything's great.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The thing I'm surprised about the Ring is that Bernie says "there's nobody there". *points to Hockheinheim stands this year". Bad excuse, so I guess there's another reason, probably financially related.

I like Monza, since it's a bit different. Obviously, it would be better if unrealibility was a factor, which in today's F1, isn't.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Removing the chicanes would spice up Monza, it would just make it too unsafe.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

It would be interesting if F1 went back to Imola. The Variante Bassa chicane is gone now, so Rivazza 2 to Tamburello is flat-out again, but they stick the chicane back in for the motorbikes.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Leave Monza alone, it would be change for the sake of it. It's old-fashioned and it's got charm. And as for Hockenheim, I could weep!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Spectoremg wrote:Leave Monza alone, it would be change for the sake of it. It's old-fashioned and it's got charm. And as for Hockenheim, I could weep!

Hockenheim was even worse, that didn't even have a single interesting corner before it was modified.
Everything's great.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Salamander wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Leave Monza alone, it would be change for the sake of it. It's old-fashioned and it's got charm. And as for Hockenheim, I could weep!

Hockenheim was even worse, that didn't even have a single interesting corner before it was modified.

I think we're arguing about personal taste here so let's leave it at that. Or maybe I just prefer trees to deserts?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Spectoremg wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I think we're arguing about personal taste here so let's leave it at that. Or maybe I just prefer trees to deserts?

Or perhaps I prefer corners to straights. ;)
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

Salamander wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:
Salamander wrote:Hockenheim was even worse, that didn't even have a single interesting corner before it was modified.

Or perhaps I prefer corners to straights. ;)

Any track seems like a magical adventure when it's through a forest. If you built the old Hockenheimring today in the middle of a desert, it would be universally hated.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Salamander wrote:Or perhaps I prefer corners to straights. ;)

A good racing track is like a beautiful woman: curvy ;)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Any track seems like a magical adventure when it's through a forest. If you built the old Hockenheimring today in the middle of a desert, it would be universally hated.

Did I ever say I liked tracks in deserts?

This wrote:
Salamander wrote:Or perhaps I prefer corners to straights. ;)

A good racing track is like a beautiful woman: curvy ;)

This guy gets it. :P
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

Salamander wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Any track seems like a magical adventure when it's through a forest. If you built the old Hockenheimring today in the middle of a desert, it would be universally hated.

Did I ever say I liked tracks in deserts?

Just putting my opinion out there... like you do on Internet forums....
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:

I must admit that I fall into that category too - maybe it is just me, but I have no real affection for the old Hockenheim circuit and in fact found it fairly dull.

The problem I have with the circuit it is that, in terms of the balance between the performance of the car and the ability of the driver, the circuit layout puts too much of an emphasis on the former (even though I tend to look at things with a technical slant, I appreciate that there has to be a balance between the two aspects) - to me, Hunt's pithy complaint about the processional nature of the old Hockenheim circuit sums it up.

Part of the appeal of the old layout was that it was a car breaker, which therefore meant it sometimes threw up unusual results and generated a sense of frisson from the uncertainty over whether an engine would fail dramatically - however, with the longer life engines we now have in the sport, the interest arising from the possibility of reliability changing the field would be much smaller. I'd wager that, if you were to run a race with the current generation of cars, you'd probably end up with a fairly boring race with rapid field spread and few events to really talk about.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Miguel98 wrote:The thing I'm surprised about the Ring is that Bernie says "there's nobody there". *points to Hockheinheim stands this year".

Some of the comments about the Hockenheim crowd were a joke - especially from Toto Wolff when he was whinging about low attendance on the Friday. For one, Friday is a working day, so attendance at any Grand Prix is always low. And two, it was a week after Germany won the World Cup in Brazil. Given the time difference, that match would have been broadcast at an awkward hour in Europe, no doubt leading to many people calling in "sick" on Monday morning, and it's unlikely that they would have wanted to call in "sick" on Friday as well.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:The thing I'm surprised about the Ring is that Bernie says "there's nobody there". *points to Hockheinheim stands this year".

Some of the comments about the Hockenheim crowd were a joke - especially from Toto Wolff when he was whinging about low attendance on the Friday. For one, Friday is a working day, so attendance at any Grand Prix is always low. And two, it was a week after Germany won the World Cup in Brazil. Given the time difference, that match would have been broadcast at an awkward hour in Europe, no doubt leading to many people calling in "sick" on Monday morning, and it's unlikely that they would have wanted to call in "sick" on Friday as well.

It wasn't only the attendance figures for Friday that were poor, even allowing for context - the race weekend figures as a whole were fairly dismal, with the actual race day attendance being the worst on record for over a decade.

Mind you, Miguel98, I'm not sure if Bernie's comments about there being "nobody there" was directed at the crowd, as I was under the impression it was directed at the owners of the Nurburgring. From what I have seen, the circuit has been sold at least twice over the past year and it is not entirely clear who exactly owns it right now - that, I think, was what Bernie was referring to when he made those comments.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"