Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
GwilymJJames

Re: Ponderbox

Post by GwilymJJames »

Simtek wrote:
watka wrote:
Biscione wrote:Forget Wolff, Lynn, et al. You need a supersub? There's only one driver to call; The Lotterer Legend! Mercedes don't have a chance against him :D

I thought Sakon "He Of The Dodgy Neck" Yamamoto was the supersub!

I thought Roberto "The Original Supersub" Moreno was the supersub!

Pedro de la Rosa isn't up to much these days.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

The only supersub we need is Luca Badoer. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I feel like this season will be like 2002. Not that there was anything wrong with 2002 at all but that's the vibe I get. Should be fun to see the scrap for 3rd and down.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Aguaman wrote:I feel like this season will be like 2002. Not that there was anything wrong with 2002 at all but that's the vibe I get. Should be fun to see the scrap for 3rd and down.

And much like that year I think everyone other than Mercedes is going to flounder around in the desperate bid to finish 3rd in the races. After Australia I somehow lack faith in the reliability of results for both Williams and Ferrari, and expect whoever finished 2nd in the constructors to be very distant indeed...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Looking back at 2014, Hamilton vs Rosberg was made out to be like Senna vs Prost, but 2014 wasn't considered a vintage season overall because of dominance of Mercedes. If the 1988 season had occurred in 2014 (i.e. the internet age), would we have been complaining about the season in the same way we did about 2014?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:Looking back at 2014, Hamilton vs Rosberg was made out to be like Senna vs Prost, but 2014 wasn't considered a vintage season overall because of dominance of Mercedes. If the 1988 season had occurred in 2014 (i.e. the internet age), would we have been complaining about the season in the same way we did about 2014?

I'm sure there would have been that complaint from some quarters, but to compare Hamilton v Rosberg to Prost v Senna is a bit far.

Prost and Senna, despite having different styles, were really quite evenly matched. You could have seen either one winning it. Contrast this to Hamilton v Rosberg; Rosberg's only window to win the world championship is if Hamilton throws it away. It could have been a classic season if the Mercedes lineup had been Hamilton and Alonso (and indeed, it seems fair to say 2007 was something of a classic season!), but unfortunately, with one driver clearly faster than the other, the potential for excitement despite single team dominance is low.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:
watka wrote:Looking back at 2014, Hamilton vs Rosberg was made out to be like Senna vs Prost, but 2014 wasn't considered a vintage season overall because of dominance of Mercedes. If the 1988 season had occurred in 2014 (i.e. the internet age), would we have been complaining about the season in the same way we did about 2014?

I'm sure there would have been that complaint from some quarters, but to compare Hamilton v Rosberg to Prost v Senna is a bit far.

Prost and Senna, despite having different styles, were really quite evenly matched. You could have seen either one winning it. Contrast this to Hamilton v Rosberg; Rosberg's only window to win the world championship is if Hamilton throws it away. It could have been a classic season if the Mercedes lineup had been Hamilton and Alonso (and indeed, it seems fair to say 2007 was something of a classic season!), but unfortunately, with one driver clearly faster than the other, the potential for excitement despite single team dominance is low.

I will even add that 2014 might have (it looks that way based on Australia alone) settled things back at Mercedes with Rosberg firmly behind. I expect this year to be not as close as last with Hamilton wrapping it up earlier. Just look at how it went in the first race. Rosberg dominated FPs but when it mattered, Hamilton upped his game and won the thing comfortably.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DanielPT wrote:Rosberg dominated FPs but when it mattered, Hamilton upped his game and won the thing comfortably.

Seems to sum Rosberg up quite well. In 2009, Rosberg was topping practice sessions for fun, but wasn't quite at the top when it was important, even if he was punching well above his weight that year.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I notice that the website formerly known as Retro Formula 1 is now re-branded as Retro GP......

http://retrogp.com/
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:I notice that the website formerly known as Retro Formula 1 is now re-branded as Retro GP......

I get the odd promotional email from them every so often. This name change happened sometime last year, possibly the summer?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I notice that the website formerly known as Retro Formula 1 is now re-branded as Retro GP......

I get the odd promotional email from them every so often. This name change happened sometime last year, possibly the summer?

So......shortly before weird things started on F1 Rejects. Things that were not addressed in the hope that no-one would be curious despite a lack of information always fuelling curiosity. For a couple of bright fella's they acted a bit dumb on that one.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

We wouldn't dare besmirch the good name of FORMULA ONE™ here at GP Rejects, now would we lads? ;)

At this point, it's almost a life goal to deliberately screw with FOM in a way they can't bite back. Their trademarks only protect them against "passing off" (using F1™ to pass off something unofficial as if it were endorsed by FORMULA ONE MANAGEMENT™). Anything else is fair game. I'd rename us back to F1 Rejects in a heartbeat, frankly.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:So......shortly before weird things started on F1 Rejects. Things that were not addressed in the hope that no-one would be curious despite a lack of information always fuelling curiosity. For a couple of bright fella's they acted a bit dumb on that one.

I've given up hope of ever getting the promised explanation. Something tells me things are not as rosy between the two former founders as is being let on. But hey, it is what it is.

On another note, how about a little over/under? How many races do you think Merc will win? With Germany gone, there's only 19 races now, so I'll put the number at 12.5 (so no one can "push") and take the over myself. Any other takers? (Please don't read this as a gripe about the current rules, I don't mind walkovers in F1, they are the norm not the exception. This is just a way to kill boredom until Malaysia, nothing more.)
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm pondering on the perspective of Ron Dennis to his drivers: maybe he knew this year's car was going to be crap, and so Ron was going to keep Magnussen in the car because it would be cheaper and more useful in the long-term to waste Kevin's time rather than Jenson's...

It would make sense in hindsight...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rob Dylan wrote:I'm pondering on the perspective of Ron Dennis to his drivers: maybe he knew this year's car was going to be crap, and so Ron was going to keep Magnussen in the car because it would be cheaper and more useful in the long-term to waste Kevin's time rather than Jenson's...

There was a conspiracy theory on Facebook a few days ago, that said Macca is broke without a sponsor, and Honda is pumping all their money into a junk motor, so the team can't afford Alonso, so he has a wreck no one sees, then will be "injured" all year so insurance pays his salary and he doesn't drive that shitebox of a McLaren.

Nonsense, but if he sits out Malyasia, they might have something.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Wallio wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I'm pondering on the perspective of Ron Dennis to his drivers: maybe he knew this year's car was going to be crap, and so Ron was going to keep Magnussen in the car because it would be cheaper and more useful in the long-term to waste Kevin's time rather than Jenson's...

There was a conspiracy theory on Facebook a few days ago, that said Macca is broke without a sponsor, and Honda is pumping all their money into a junk motor, so the team can't afford Alonso, so he has a wreck no one sees, then will be "injured" all year so insurance pays his salary and he doesn't drive that shitebox of a McLaren.

It is nonsense, but I love it! Seriously though, can anyone throw any light on the cash situation at McLaren, they seem to have plenty of it?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Spectoremg wrote:
Wallio wrote:

It is nonsense, but I love it! Seriously though, can anyone throw any light on the cash situation at McLaren, they seem to have plenty of it?

This is GP Rejects, the notion of such a conspiracy theory being nonsense is nonsense in itself! What, so you're saying that Alex Wurz and Bertrand Gachot aren't the same person and that Luxembourg is real? :P
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Spectoremg wrote:
Wallio wrote:

It is undoubtedly nonsense - to quote the game critic Yahtzee, it is more likely that I will remove three vertebrae, bend over backwards and eat my own arse.

Onto the more serious point of how much money McLaren has - whilst they have traditionally been one of the better funded teams, in recent years the loss of Mercedes has definitely been felt by the team and lead to a much more erratic financial performance.

The last set of accounts that I've found for the McLaren F1 team are for 2012, which indicates a fall in turnover from £172 million in 2011 to £165 million in 2012, with costs rising from £99 to £123 million over the same period. Financial reports from 2013 suggest that McLaren Group overall saw a rise in turnover, with the F1 team apparently contributing to that, but McLaren Automotive also saw an improvement in turnover (and moved from making losses to profits), so it's not clear how much the F1 team did actually contribute to the overall performance of the group.

One thing that McLaren have mentioned in the past is that they anticipated the deal with Honda would improve their finances - their comments would suggest that, at the very least, they are hoping for some sort of return to the deal they had with Mercedes (who were pumping £38 million a year into the team back in 2011). Whether that compensates for the loss of some of their sponsors, such as losing Hugo Boss to Mercedes, remains to be seen (the reports for 2014 should be out fairly soon, I think).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

DanielPT wrote:
Biscione wrote:

I will even add that 2014 might have (it looks that way based on Australia alone) settled things back at Mercedes with Rosberg firmly behind. I expect this year to be not as close as last with Hamilton wrapping it up earlier. Just look at how it went in the first race. Rosberg dominated FPs but when it mattered, Hamilton upped his game and won the thing comfortably.

Seems like what happened once Mark lost in 2010, Vettel just went another level and Mark couldn't reach it.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

With Verstappen moving from F3 straight into F1 and the subsequent superlicence changes, does this mean we could see drivers making the step from karting straight into GP2 to make up for the changes?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:It is more likely that I will remove three vertebrae, bend over backwards and eat my own arse.

Well that um, escalated rather quickly, didn't it? :D

mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
mario wrote:It is more likely that I will remove three vertebrae, bend over backwards and eat my own arse.

Well, I've got to surprise you once in a while - besides, when you've got a quote like that you want to work it into the conversation somewhere...

watka wrote:With Verstappen moving from F3 straight into F1 and the subsequent superlicence changes, does this mean we could see drivers making the step from karting straight into GP2 to make up for the changes?

Maybe - at the very least, the changes have well and truly killed off any chance of a revival of the domestic Formula 3 series given how lowly they rank.

Given that you can in theory qualify for a superlicence by winning the European F3 championship, I don't think it'll kill that series off entirely. I can see the number of drivers in that series declining in the longer term though, with more drivers willing to take a chance by jumping up into GP2 or the proposed F2 series - especially the latter, which has the most generous points system.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

mario wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Well, I've got to surprise you once in a while - besides, when you've got a quote like that you want to work it into the conversation somewhere...

...or into a signature, perhaps? ;)

EDIT: Or maybe not. The character limit can't handle the previous exchange in full, it seems. Oh, well.
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Wallio wrote:

The fetishes on this forum get weirder every day..
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This wrote:
Wallio wrote:

The fetishes on this forum get weirder every day..

Just when you thought you've seen it all!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Simtek wrote:...or into a signature, perhaps? ;)

EDIT: Or maybe not. The character limit can't handle the previous exchange in full, it seems. Oh, well.

I made it work for me anyway. :D

mario wrote:Well, I've got to surprise you once in a while - besides, when you've got a quote like that you want to work it into the conversation somewhere...

Can't argue with any of that. Well done.

Bobby Doorknobs

Wallio wrote:
Simtek wrote:...or into a signature, perhaps? ;)

I made it work for me anyway. :D

I see. The full exchange would have been funnier, but if anyone deserves a sig out of it anyway, it's you. :)
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Simtek wrote:

I see. The full exchange would have been funnier. :)[/quote]

No question, but hopefully this will raise hilarious questions I the minds of those who missed the orginal back and forth.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Here's something I just though of in the light of the Car Numbers alternative championship - what is in the current "choose your number" era, along comes a driver who was a massive fan of Damon Hill when he was a kid, and wants to take Hill's number - could he choose car number 0 (that number will forever associated with Hill though I know he wasn't the only one to ever have it) or is that forbidden?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

James1978 wrote:Here's something I just though of in the light of the Car Numbers alternative championship - what is in the current "choose your number" era, along comes a driver who was a massive fan of Damon Hill when he was a kid, and wants to take Hill's number - could he choose car number 0 (that number will forever associated with Hill though I know he wasn't the only one to ever have it) or is that forbidden?

FIA Sporting Regulations wrote:Prior to the start of the 2014 World Championship season race numbers will be permanently allocated to drivers by ballot, such numbers must then be used by that driver during every Formula One World Championship Event he takes part in throughout his career in Formula 1.
A driver’s career in Formula 1 will be deemed to have ended if he does not participate in an Event for two entire consecutive Championship seasons. Any new drivers, either at the start of or during a season, will also be allocated a permanent number in the same way.

No mention of restrictions on what the number can be. Based on the Sporting Regulations document, theoretically 0 is possible...

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:
James1978 wrote:Here's something I just though of in the light of the Car Numbers alternative championship - what is in the current "choose your number" era, along comes a driver who was a massive fan of Damon Hill when he was a kid, and wants to take Hill's number - could he choose car number 0 (that number will forever associated with Hill though I know he wasn't the only one to ever have it) or is that forbidden?

FIA Sporting Regulations wrote:Prior to the start of the 2014 World Championship season race numbers will be permanently allocated to drivers by ballot, such numbers must then be used by that driver during every Formula One World Championship Event he takes part in throughout his career in Formula 1.
A driver’s career in Formula 1 will be deemed to have ended if he does not participate in an Event for two entire consecutive Championship seasons. Any new drivers, either at the start of or during a season, will also be allocated a permanent number in the same way.

No mention of restrictions on what the number can be. Based on the Sporting Regulations document, theoretically 0 is possible...

FIA 2014 Sporting Regulations wrote:Each car will carry the race number of its driver as published by the FIA at the beginning of the season or the race number that has been allocated to his replacement under Article 19.1(b)(iii). This number must be clearly visible from the front of the car and on the driver’s crash helmet.

Prior to the start of the 2014 World Championship season race numbers will be permanently allocated to drivers by ballot, such numbers must then be used by that driver during every Formula One World Championship Event he takes part in throughout his career.

Any new drivers, either at the start of or during a season, will also be allocated a permanent number in the same way.

The only exception to this allocation process will be for the reigning World Champion who will have the option to use the number one. The number that was previously allocated to him will be reserved for him in subsequent seasons if he does not retain the title of World Champion.

Autosport, 9th December 2013 wrote:While #1 will be reserved for the current world champion - should he choose to use it - every other driver will be asked to choose their race number, between #2 and #99.

If more than one driver selects the same number, priority will be given on last year's championship order.

The changes therefore mean Sebastian Vettel will have the option of competing as #1 next year, with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso having the second pick of numbers.

This seems to insinuate the exclusion of 0, but not pi or e, or any other irrational number...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Is it just me, or Monisha Kaltenborn has completely missed the point of Giedo's actions towards Sauber?
From her words I figured out that she's shocked that someone had the nerve to point out what seems to be an obvious breach of contract.

She does have a point about the moral principles - had VDG prevailed, his actions would of put the well-being of hundred-plus people in Hinwil at risk. But then again, it is her who tried to shaft Giedo in the first place, so no one is 100% on the right here.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Pointrox wrote:She does have a point about the moral principles - had VDG prevailed, his actions would of put the well-being of hundred-plus people in Hinwil at risk.

Why? He'd have driven the car, as he paid to do, and achieved a result of some sorts. The staff a Hinwil would've watched the race whilst chomping on Toblerone as per normal.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:
Pointrox wrote:She does have a point about the moral principles - had VDG prevailed, his actions would of put the well-being of hundred-plus people in Hinwil at risk.

Why? He'd have driven the car, as he paid to do, and achieved a result of some sorts. The staff a Hinwil would've watched the race whilst chomping on Toblerone as per normal.

I kinda agree with that. Those who were in the wrong were those who dealt (poorly) with the contracts. They're the reason Sauber will be paying 3 drivers for 2 cars this year. Who drove the car in Australia was irrelevant to the cost that the team has racked up in the last two weeks.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

The McLaren's could be 0 and 00 :D
It might have been polite of Gangsta Hamilton to have sported the No.1 this year.
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

Furthermore, it could also be pointed out that, without van der Garde having made advance payments to Sauber in 2014, the team would have collapsed in 2014 thanks to their cash flow problems. Without van der Garde having shelled out that money, those members of staff would already be out of work - so to raise the issue of staff welfare is a bit disingenuous.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Spectoremg wrote:

The McLaren's could be 0 and 00 :D
It might have been polite of Gangsta Hamilton to have sported the No.1 this year.

I do agree with that. If Vettel could do it then so should he, it's doing away with tradition. He can have 44 back any time he isn't champion. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Waris

Post by Waris »

mario wrote:
watka wrote:With Verstappen moving from F3 straight into F1 and the subsequent superlicence changes, does this mean we could see drivers making the step from karting straight into GP2 to make up for the changes?

Maybe - at the very least, the changes have well and truly killed off any chance of a revival of the domestic Formula 3 series given how lowly they rank.

Given that you can in theory qualify for a superlicence by winning the European F3 championship, I don't think it'll kill that series off entirely. I can see the number of drivers in that series declining in the longer term though, with more drivers willing to take a chance by jumping up into GP2 or the proposed F2 series - especially the latter, which has the most generous points system.

Remember that Kvjat moved straight from GP3 into F1. I foresee a merger between GP3 and F3 happening soon, then it might become a strong category again.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Waris wrote:
mario wrote:

Remember that Kvjat moved straight from GP3 into F1. I foresee a merger between GP3 and F3 happening soon, then it might become a strong category again.

I'd love to see them merged, creating a clearer career ladder and larger, more competitive fields.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Thoughts on Formula1.com's new F1 Access subscription? Anyone bought it?

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport