Series you consider to be better than F1 at the moment

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
good_Ralf

Series you consider to be better than F1 at the moment

Post by good_Ralf »

I've heard loads of comments about how series such Formula E and IndyCar are, in certain ways, doing a better job of it than F1, the 'pinnacle of motorsport'.

Which racing series do you think are outdoing Formula 1? Discuss.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AxelP800

Re: Series you consider to be better than F1 at the moment

Post by AxelP800 »

I see every series is great on their own way. F1 has a trend of "boring"-great-"boring" race.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:I've heard loads of comments about how series such Formula E and IndyCar are, in certain ways, doing a better job of it than F1, the 'pinnacle of motorsport'.

Which racing series do you think are outdoing Formula 1? Discuss.

Horse racing is doing a better job of promoting the benefits of equine mammals than Formula 1.
IndyCar is doing a better job of having an "I" in its name than Formula 1.
Formula E is a better electric series than Formula 1.
WRC is better at being on mud than F1.
BTCC is better at being British than F1.
Snail racing is better at being slow than F1.
MotoGP is better at being on two wheels than F1.
Auto GP is better at being on hiatus than F1.
WEC has longer races than F1.
V8 Supercars is more popular amongst the bogan community than F1.
NASCAR is better than F1 at promoting elliptical shapes for circuits.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Bundesliga :D

Seriously I guess each have their perks but none have the same magnetism like F1.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Aguaman wrote:Bundesliga :D

Which? The divegrass one? Hell nah. The handball one? Yeah, works. (Schleswig-Holstein represent) The apehoop one? For sure.

Specifics are important. :p
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I find Indycar more entertaining at the moment. WEC as well. Doesn't mean I stopped watching F1 though.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

To be honest, the last couple NASCAR races (especially Sonoma) have been more captivating than most F1 races this year.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Wallio wrote:I find Indycar more entertaining at the moment. WEC as well. Doesn't mean I stopped watching F1 though.

Can't say anything else, because this is my answer. Plus BTCC, BTCC is cool.

Salamander wrote:To be honest, the last couple NASCAR races (especially Sonoma) have been more captivating than most F1 races this year.

Hm, with EVERY SINGLE driver I like in that increasingly gimmicky series having problems, it was excruciatingly horrible to watch. The racing, which I admit was all right and JJ losing just didn't make it up for me.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:
Salamander wrote:To be honest, the last couple NASCAR races (especially Sonoma) have been more captivating than most F1 races this year.

Hm, with EVERY SINGLE driver I like in that increasingly gimmicky series having problems, it was excruciatingly horrible to watch. The racing, which I admit was all right and JJ losing just didn't make it up for me.

Probably would be a bad idea to mention how I actually kinda like Johnson, then? :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Rabbi Gordon wrote:

Probably would be a bad idea to mention how I actually kinda like Johnson, then? :P

And here I thought I was the only one.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Salamander wrote:
Rabbi Gordon wrote:

I don't mind him as a driver or his fans. Honestly, I hate his luck and his crew chief. Him? He's all right, not a douche, but nothing much for me.
Why I hate the #48 is perfectly summed up in the Dover finale. Nowhere near as fast as others, running between 6th and 3rd. Comes in for a "magic" adjustment, catches a lucky break with the Busch-Scott wreck and all the others after it and has Mr.Mediocrity in the #5 block for him in every single restart.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I have not followed F1 this year, after having watched an interesting Bahrain GP and a snoozer of an Austrian GP last year. My interest in F1 had waned considerably after Kamui Kobayashi lost his ride with my favourite team Sauber. Other good drivers lost their seats that offseason, too.

IndyCar, on the other hand, has been getting better and better with the current DW-12 chassis. They have had a few bad races this year, too, but that was mostly due to the weather.

Overall, I can say, whether it's a good race is more dependant on the circuit than the series which is racing there.

Last year, I watched my first (and so far only) NASCAR Sprint Cup race when AJ Allmendinger won over Marcus Ambrose at Watkins Glen. That was rather interesting for a change, having last seen a race from this circuit back when IndyCar last ran there.

But there are also some circuits which I have skipped regularly even when I followed a series: Yeongam and Buddh come to mind.

I might watch the Hungaroring F1 race this year because it's the place where it's most likely somebody might actually beat F1's premier team from Brackley.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Yannick wrote:I might watch the Hungaroring F1 race this year because it's the place where it's most likely somebody might actually beat F1's premier team from Brackley.

Vettel, driving for Ferrari. won the Malaysian GP this year. ;) :dance:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

FMecha wrote:
Yannick wrote:I might watch the Hungaroring F1 race this year because it's the place where it's most likely somebody might actually beat F1's premier team from Brackley.

Vettel, driving for Ferrari. won the Malaysian GP this year. ;) :dance:

I have watched this race and was extremely happy about the outcome. But it feels like so long ago. It may be the only F1 race I have watched this year.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

WEC is the only championship I've actually gone out of my way to watch in real time this year, adjusting plans accordingly and so on. Everything else (including F1), I've tended to just record and watch whenever I get time. I still haven't watched the British GP as I type this, and haven't been particularly fussed about avoiding the results either.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Indy and Formula E.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Red bull soap box...

....What?
Valentino Lavaggi

Post by Valentino Lavaggi »

I've really been suprised by the IndyCar series. It's just a shame that it ends next month. Rooting for Rahal to take it to JPM, Team Penske and Chevrolet.

V8 Supercars, very hard to watch it live of course but when I can find the races, they are good fun to watch, I just get very nervous talking to the community as someone from the UK. Supporting Mostert and McLaughlin.

BTCC and its support series which makes it a fantastic way to spend your sunday at home.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Someone had predicted it.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.