2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by Faustus »

Force India is hiring. Electronics, aerodynamics, simulator and software. 11 different jobs, no idea how many vacancies. I just had a call about it.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dinizintheoven wrote:And while we're here, let's throw Neotech, HKS and Isuzu into the ring. Who knows, they might have had a top-secret project in the works these last 20 years that'll blast the Mercs into next week...

Or, better still...

ERNESTO VITA RETURNS AND WILL CONQUER THE WORLD.

My money is on the other W12 design of the era: Moteurs Guy Nègre.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Faustus wrote:Force India is hiring. Electronics, aerodynamics, simulator and software. 11 different jobs, no idea how many vacancies. I just had a call about it.

I wish they were looking for someone in business. :(

Also apparently Mercedes board said no to supplying RBR with Merc engines. That leaves Ferrari as a last chance unless someone out of the blue comes into play
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aguaman wrote:
Faustus wrote:Force India is hiring. Electronics, aerodynamics, simulator and software. 11 different jobs, no idea how many vacancies. I just had a call about it.

I wish they were looking for someone in business. :(

Also apparently Mercedes board said no to supplying RBR with Merc engines. That leaves Ferrari as a last chance unless someone out of the blue comes into play

I wonder if Red Bull were to somehow end up without an engine deal next season, would they be stuck with their current Renault power unit, only rebranded à la Williams-Mecachrome or Benetton-Playlife?
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Here's a possibility that we were discussing in the chatroom this morning. What if Red Bull announce a tie-up with...Cosworth.

Think about it, Cosworth were considering developing an engine to the new regulations until mid-2013, when Marussia announced their Ferrari deal. The expertise is in place, and it wouldn't be past the bounds of possibility that Red Bull could send large sums of money into Cosworth's coffers to develop an engine for 2016. Indeed, it might also be possible that Red Bull could take Cosworth over entirely, therefore freeing themselves from the restrictions and demands of the other manufacturers.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Very interesting stuff about possible new engine suppliers but let's remember that the mighty Honda have fallen on their ar$e$ this year. What chances would a newcomer have?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ah, cheers for the tip-off ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:Here's a possibility that we were discussing in the chatroom this morning. What if Red Bull announce a tie-up with...Cosworth.

Either something like that or Ferrari if they choose to stay in the sport, really. This is because Mercedes obviously rejected a deal to supply Red Bull.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport are reporting that Mercedes have rejected supplying Red Bull (formerly that Wild Cat team, Jaguar...) and Red Bull are already terminating their Renault engine supply, while they have yet to approach Ferrari about a supply. Are Red Bull going to end up in difficulties next year if neither Ferrari nor Honda agree to supplying the team with engines?

Maybe Reynolds Metals Co of Richmond, Virginia could attempt a deal, 19 years after first trying to enter the sport as an engine supply?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport are reporting that Mercedes have rejected supplying Red Bull (formerly that Wild Cat team, Jaguar...) and Red Bull are already terminating their Renault engine supply, while they have yet to approach Ferrari about a supply. Are Red Bull going to end up in difficulties next year if neither Ferrari nor Honda agree to supplying the team with engines?

Maybe Reynolds Metals Co of Richmond, Virginia could attempt a deal, 19 years after first trying to enter the sport as an engine supply?

You forgot Stewart.

I say Red Bull should pull a(n) TWR Arrows and build their own engines in-house. :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bobby Doorknobs

Aguaman wrote:Also apparently Mercedes board said no to supplying RBR with Merc engines.

dr-baker wrote:Autosport are reporting that Mercedes have rejected supplying Red Bull

It's as if the McLaren rear wing debate spread to other threads...
#FreeGonzo
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Backmarker wrote:December is a little late for the season to end, but speaking purely as a fan the off-season is awful.

Well, since that only means they move the season by two weeks (given as it wouldn't start until April), it wouldn't mean much outside of the trivia of the first race in December, given as the off-season would be just as long, only slighty moved.
Bobby Doorknobs

Klon wrote:...the first race in December.

East London and Sebring say hi :P
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

FMecha wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Autosport are reporting that Mercedes have rejected supplying Red Bull (formerly that Wild Cat team, Jaguar...) and Red Bull are already terminating their Renault engine supply, while they have yet to approach Ferrari about a supply. Are Red Bull going to end up in difficulties next year if neither Ferrari nor Honda agree to supplying the team with engines?

You forgot Stewart.

I say Red Bull should pull a(n) TWR Arrows and build their own engines in-house. :P

They didn't - they were Hart engines, just badged as Arrows.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:
FMecha wrote:

You forgot Stewart.

They didn't - they were Hart engines, just badged as Arrows.

Actually, TWR had taken over Hart and merged it with Arrows, and the engines they used were modified versions of the Hart-designed Yamaha engine from 1997.
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Simtek wrote:[
Actually, TWR had taken over Hart and merged it with Arrows, and the engines they used were modified versions of the Hart-designed Yamaha engine from 1997.

Soo...Hart engines then ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:

Red Bull Judds. You read it here first ;)
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Red Bull Judds. You read it here first ;)

I think they are keen to take previous sponsorship from elsewhere. Red Bull Yamaha it is.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

What I am saying is that Red Bull should have consider building their own engines. They said no to that idea, though. :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:What I am saying is that Red Bull should have consider building their own engines. They said no to that idea, though. :roll:

Because, you know, building a new engine has worked out so well for McLaren-Honda... wait what do you mean they're 9th in the WCC
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Salamander wrote:
FMecha wrote:What I am saying is that Red Bull should have consider building their own engines. They said no to that idea, though. :roll:

Because, you know, building a new engine has worked out so well for McLaren-Honda... wait what do you mean they're 9th in the WCC

9th?

MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Simtek wrote:Actually, TWR had taken over Hart and merged it with Arrows, and the engines they used were modified versions of the Hart-designed Yamaha engine from 1997.

I may be wrong but weren't the Yamahas were built by Judd rather than Hart? I always thought the "Arrows" V10 was an all new Hart design unrelated to the Yamaha, Hart having previously supplied V8s to Minardi in 1997 (and Arrows themselves the two seasons prior to that)
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:

Well, if you want to get really technical about it, it really was an Arrows engine, as it was a Brian Hart design whilst Brian Hart was an employee of TWR International, and Brian Hart Ltd. had already been bought out by TWR. And, to no-one's surprise, Arrows didn't plough enough money into their newly acquired engine department over the following seasons, and the powerplant suffered as a result.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Nah. Red Bull Lamborghini is a more realistic option. :D
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

In more engine-related rumours, a new contender emerges for Mercedes customer units.

Suddenly, Manor could have a very decent package next year. We already know they're ploughing on with an all-new chassis for next season, hence the retention of the 2014 chassis this season. By securing a supply of the best engines on the market, they could have a car to challenge Sauber, Toro Rosso and presumably Haas next year. The cost of the engines to Manor will be offset by running a Mercedes driver in one of the cars. Pascal Wehrlein would fit that bill perfectly, if he can secure a superlicence.

For this to happen though, Manor have to be confident that the Renault takeover of Lotus goes through, which frees up one of the customer Merc slots.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

golic_2004 wrote:

Nah. Red Bull Lamborghini is a more realistic option. :D

#AudiF1Confirmed? ;)
#FreeGonzo
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

East Londoner wrote:Here's a possibility that we were discussing in the chatroom this morning. What if Red Bull announce a tie-up with...Cosworth.

Think about it, Cosworth were considering developing an engine to the new regulations until mid-2013, when Marussia announced their Ferrari deal. The expertise is in place, and it wouldn't be past the bounds of possibility that Red Bull could send large sums of money into Cosworth's coffers to develop an engine for 2016. Indeed, it might also be possible that Red Bull could take Cosworth over entirely, therefore freeing themselves from the restrictions and demands of the other manufacturers.

Cosworth are broke as bathplug. They are pulling out of their supply contracts in the aerospace industry and have pissed off most of the aerospace primes and a lot of people in purchasing and engineering in the process, so they'll never get back in it. Cosworth is trying to get involved with more OEM customers and making that the focus of their business, rather than motorsport.
Maybe if someone came along with a lot of money and bankrolled them completely, then they might get involved with a big motorsport project.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Waris

Post by Waris »

This stuff about AVL someone posted earlier got me thinking, when I read that AVL apparently design electric engines in addition to combustion-powered ones.

Red Bull to jump ship and reemerge as Red Bull-AVL in Formula E 2016/17. You heard it here first. :vergne:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:

Cosworth are broke as bathplug. They are pulling out of their supply contracts in the aerospace industry and have pissed off most of the aerospace primes and a lot of people in purchasing and engineering in the process, so they'll never get back in it. Cosworth is trying to get involved with more OEM customers and making that the focus of their business, rather than motorsport.
Maybe if someone came along with a lot of money and bankrolled them completely, then they might get involved with a big motorsport project.

I see what you mean about Cosworth being in deep financial trouble - they've been racking up sizeable losses (nearly £15 million in the past two years alone) and their revenue is plummeting.

Although it is likely to have been a low value project, I imagine the fact that Nissan's LMP1 program has tanked for 2015 won't help either - I imagine they would have hoped to leverage that project as an opportunity to try and secure a tie up with Nissan for their wider activities. They did tout their F1 compliant onceptual design back in 2013, but they made it clear that they needed backing from an OEM in order to compete - and it currently looks like few would be willing to take the risk on such a project given Honda's woes.

East Londoner wrote:In more engine-related rumours, a new contender emerges for Mercedes customer units.

Suddenly, Manor could have a very decent package next year. We already know they're ploughing on with an all-new chassis for next season, hence the retention of the 2014 chassis this season. By securing a supply of the best engines on the market, they could have a car to challenge Sauber, Toro Rosso and presumably Haas next year. The cost of the engines to Manor will be offset by running a Mercedes driver in one of the cars. Pascal Wehrlein would fit that bill perfectly, if he can secure a superlicence.

For this to happen though, Manor have to be confident that the Renault takeover of Lotus goes through, which frees up one of the customer Merc slots.

There is also the unfortunate possibility that Lotus could go bankrupt and free up an engine contract for Manor in that way too, although I really hope it does not come to that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LovelyFondmetal

Post by LovelyFondmetal »

MorbidelliObese wrote:
Simtek wrote:Actually, TWR had taken over Hart and merged it with Arrows, and the engines they used were modified versions of the Hart-designed Yamaha engine from 1997.

I may be wrong but weren't the Yamahas were built by Judd rather than Hart? I always thought the "Arrows" V10 was an all new Hart design unrelated to the Yamaha, Hart having previously supplied V8s to Minardi in 1997 (and Arrows themselves the two seasons prior to that)

Yeah, this is correct. The Yamaha engine used by Arrows in 1997 (and older models used by Tyrrell in 1993-1996) were Judd-built units. This came about after the disastrous 1992 season suffered by Jordan-Yamaha with the thirsty and unreliable V12 unit, which resulted into Judd and Yamaha pooling their F1 engine-building resources. This was a godsend to Judd, as they had lost their 2 remaining customers (Brabham and Andrea Moda) midway through 1992. Arrows were so disappointed with the 1997 unit (methinks Hungary may have had something to do with it), they asked Yamaha to split with Judd and fund Brian Hart's new "1030" V10 for 1998 but Yamaha refused and pulled the plug on the whole project.

Brian Hart did not have the backing to build the new engine in 1997 so was treading water supplying Minardi with the old "830" V8 units, then TWR Arrows came a-knockin'. They bought out Brian Hart Ltd. and funded the construction of the new "1030" V10 badged as an Arrows motor. They did not spend much money on development so Brian Hart quit the team in disgust before the year was out. Arrows continued using the Hart-designed engine in 1999 by which point it was severely down on power compared to it's competitors so Mr. Walkinshaw treated the team to Supertec engines for 2000, which themselves were 1997-spec Renault units :P

The final irony of this is that Jordan, who had put Yamaha in contact with Judd at the end of 1992, replaced the Yamaha units in 1993 with the Hart "1035" V10. History repeats itself...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Whilst all of this conjecture is fascinating and new to me (thanks everyone!) what it still boils down to is that in 1998 Arrows used a Hart engine, built and badged as an Arrows engine. ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:Whilst all of this conjecture is fascinating and new to me (thanks everyone!) what it still boils down to is that in 1998 Arrows used a Hart engine, built and badged as an Arrows engine. ;)

...which is like saying Mercedes are using Ilmor engines :P
#FreeGonzo
LovelyFondmetal

Post by LovelyFondmetal »

AndreaModa wrote:Whilst all of this conjecture is fascinating and new to me (thanks everyone!) what it still boils down to is that in 1998 Arrows used a Hart engine, built and badged as an Arrows engine. ;)

This is correct :P

Simtek wrote:

...which is like saying Mercedes are using Ilmor engines :P

Don't get me started on that :P Sauber were supposed to use a Merc engine in 1993, but Merc were cautions and so they instead planned to use Ilmor units badged as Mercedes. Mercedes were still unhappy about this in case things turned into a Footwork-Porsche 1991 scenario so they instead badged the Ilmor engines as "Sauber" units and wrote "Concept by Mercedes Benz" on the bodywork. Merc also funded the construction of the units and bought a stake in Ilmor, although the engines were updated versions of what Leyton House used in 1991 and what March and Tyrrell had used in 1992, the "2175A".

1993 went well, so Mercedes put their name on the engines in 1994 and had the design updated, although fundamentally it was still the 1991 Ilmor unit. It had the designation "2175B" while our old favourites Pacific used the older "2175A". In 1995, Ilmor & Mercedes intorduced a new design for McLaren after splitting with Sauber, the "FO110". I consider this the first "true" Mercedes engine because it was a new design, even though Ilmor built it. Mercedes gradually increased their stake in Ilmor and these days they are "Mercedes High Performance Powertrains :P

Adam :)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The Haas F1 team website is a bit bleak at the moment...

https://www.haasf1team.com/

C'mon guys let's see some stuff. At the same point in their lifespan USF1 had an all singing all dancing site with Youtube clips and all sorts going on.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Though that might just mean Haas are concentrating on getting the car ready for testing, whereas USF1's bells and whistles were to put us all off the scent that they were an empty shell...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Speaking of Haas: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120728

A Ferrari reserve driver will be driving for them next season, they just won't say who, but given that Ferrari's official reserve driver is ESTEBAN GUTIÉRREZ: FERRARI DRIVER, I think that confirms him for the seat.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:The Haas F1 team website is a bit bleak at the moment...

https://www.haasf1team.com/

C'mon guys let's see some stuff. At the same point in their lifespan USF1 had an all singing all dancing site with Youtube clips and all sorts going on.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... teams.html

On the other hand I cannot remember USF1 ever getting the front page of the main F1 website, aside from when Bernie (repeatedly) said they were in trouble.

Lots to pour over in that interview, and honestly, as someone who was looking forward to Haas' debut, not much is good. No American driver, and they admit they are a Ferrari "B-Team". oh well.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wallio wrote:http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/interviews/2015/9/guenther-steiner-q-a--haas-could-become-model-for-new-teams.html

Lots to pour over in that interview, and honestly, as someone who was looking forward to Haas' debut, not much is good. No American driver, and they admit they are a Ferrari "B-Team". oh well.

And it's exactly this that gives me confidence they might actually survive. Steiner is right - they had to take this approach, or the project was guaranteed to be a failure. An American driver for the sake of having an American driver would have been a double whammy.

If Haas had elected not to take this route, and go it alone from the very start, the team would be dead by 2018. At least this way they might be able to establish themselves as respectable midfielders, and give themselves a platform to build from and attempt autonomy further down the line.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Biscione wrote:
Wallio wrote:http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/interviews/2015/9/guenther-steiner-q-a--haas-could-become-model-for-new-teams.html

And it's exactly this that gives me confidence they might actually survive. Steiner is right - they had to take this approach, or the project was guaranteed to be a failure. An American driver for the sake of having an American driver would have been a double whammy.

If Haas had elected not to take this route, and go it alone from the very start, the team would be dead by 2018. At least this way they might be able to establish themselves as respectable midfielders, and give themselves a platform to build from and attempt autonomy further down the line.

The American driver thing I can get over, although dismissively saying there is "no one" is shite, Rossi is 2nd in GP2 and has won a bunch this year (or is that a bigger condemnation of GP2?), Newgarden could be had, and hell, maybe even Kurt Busch (whethr or not they should jump series is another matter, but they would). But as I said, I can get over that.

The whole not building their own car thing is what bothers me. This is F1, and since the '70s, you build your own car. Period. This will kill any popularity for them over here. People will say, oh its just Ferrari 2, why not root for the big team? And they'd be right. Ferrari, while popular over here, is not THAT popular, especially when every other racing series over here has teams build their own cars, (or aerokits).

I do find it funny that only a few short years ago, there was massive outrage and backlash everywhere (besides on here of course) against Super Aguri and Torro Rosso and Prodrive over this very thing. It was even a sticking point in the "budget-cap" war. But now its A-OK. That's odd to me.

I'll still root for them, as I have been waiting my entire life for an American F1 team (I was 1 when the other Haas folded) but I will still hold Marussia up higher, as they are doing it right.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Just on the subject, Gene Haas has killed two birds with one stone in this article; he has confirmed that either Esteban Gutierrez or Jean-Eric Vergne will drive one of his cars next season, whilst ruling out Alexander Rossi for one of the race drives...or any other rookie for that matter.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...