Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Quiz!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Peteroli34

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Qui

Post by Peteroli34 »

My question has two parts to it

A number of drivers have only completed in one full F1 season. However some drivers competed in GPs before and after this one full season

Which drivers have competed in the most GP's Before and After their only full season?

For example Kevin Magnussen's only full F1 season was 2014. Before this he competed in 0 GPs after it he competed in 1

A full season counts as a driver entered into every race weekend that year

im looking for 2 drivers the person who competed the most GP's before his only full season and the driver who competed in the most after his only full season

The Indy 500 was on the F1 calander so its counted as a GP
Last edited by Peteroli34 on 17 Dec 2015, 23:11, edited 3 times in total.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Question: Does the Indy 500 affect the definition of a full season?
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

peteroli34 wrote:My question has two parts to it

A number of drivers have only completed in one full F1 season. However some drivers competed in GPs before and after this one full season

Which drivers have competed in the most GP's Before and After their only full season?

For example Kevin Magnussen's only full F1 season was 2014. Before this he competed in 0 GPs after it he competed in 1

Yannick Dalmas? 32 prior, 2 post. His only complete season was 1990.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Could it be Mike Hailwood? He got 50 starts, but only did a full season in 1973, leaving him with an extra 35.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rolf Stommelen surelly? He has 49 entries after his only full season in 1970.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:
peteroli34 wrote:My question has two parts to it

Yannick Dalmas? 32 prior, 2 post. His only complete season was 1990.

I was going to point out 1988, but he fell ill didn't he? And was replaced by Aguri Suzuki and Pierre-Henri Raphanel.

I completely forgot Raphanel took part in a Grand Prix with Larrousse.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Miguel98 wrote:Rolf Stommelen surelly? He has 49 entries after his only full season in 1970.

Rolf Stommelen is correct having as you said having 49 entries after his only full season in 1970.
Sterling Moss is the driver who had the most entires 58 before his only full season in 1961. I think Biscione worked that one out on the chat. So search me who is the winner.
Bobby Doorknobs

peteroli34 wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:Rolf Stommelen surelly? He has 49 entries after his only full season in 1970.

Rolf Stommelen is correct having as you said having 49 entries after his only full season in 1970.
Sterling Moss is the driver who had the most entires 58 before his only full season in 1961. I think Biscione worked that one out on the chat. So search me who is the winner.

Actually, that was me :P As I've pretty much disqualified myself from taking further part early on, I'm giving the point to Miguel.
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Okay then..

Which engine manufacturers each have only 1 GP win to their name?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Weslake

......... why can I only remember one
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AxelP800 wrote:Weslake

Because it is. Unless if you count Porsche as separate from TAG, in that case Porsche also counts.

But even if i'm right, i don't want to ask questions, i just accidentally popped in this thread.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I would class TAG and porsche as seperate entries
So the awnsers should be Porsche and weslake
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This wrote:

Because it is. Unless if you count Porsche as separate from TAG, in that case Porsche also counts.

But even if i'm right, i don't want to ask questions, i just accidentally popped in this thread.

Porsche do count as a separate entry, so the answer is indeed Weslake and Porsche, at the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix and 1962 French Grand Prix respectivelly, both by Dan Gurney.

So, since This doesn't want to formulate a question.. Petoli's turn again Simtek?

Bobby Doorknobs

Miguel98 wrote:
This wrote:

Porsche do count as a separate entry, so the answer is indeed Weslake and Porsche, at the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix and 1962 French Grand Prix respectivelly, both by Dan Gurney.

So, since This doesn't want to formulate a question.. Petoli's turn again Simtek?

Yeah, sure. If only because he's now the best chance of stopping the TOMMYKLWINSLOL train :P

But seriously, I don't like giving away half-points. Too many headaches, figuring out who gets to ask the next question etc.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Simtek wrote:Yeah, sure. If only because he's now the best chance of stopping the TOMMYKLWINSLOL train :P

But seriously, I don't like giving away half-points. Too many headaches, figuring out who gets to ask the next question etc.

I Cant Compete with TommyKls knowledge

This question has 4 separate answers

Only once has an F1 car that was built with 4WD drive scored points. What was the car? what GP?, who was driving?. What did the car never actually do in that race?
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:
Simtek wrote:Yeah, sure. If only because he's now the best chance of stopping the TOMMYKLWINSLOL train :P

I Cant Compete with TommyKls knowledge

This question has 4 separate answers

Only once has an F1 car that was built with 4WD drive scored points. What was the car? what GP?, who was driving?. What did the car never actually do in that race?

That would be the Matra MS84, driven by Johnny Servoz-Gavin in the Canadian GP where it finished in 6th place. However, although originally intended to be driven as a four wheel drive vehicle, the front differential had been disconnected for that race and so power was delivered only to the rear wheels.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

mario wrote:That would be the Matra MS84, driven by Johnny Servoz-Gavin in the Canadian GP where it finished in 6th place. However, although originally intended to be driven as a four wheel drive vehicle, the front differential had been disconnected for that race and so power was delivered only to the rear wheels.

That is correct it didnt run in 4WD mode which was the reason that Gavin called it undrivable. so over to you
mario

Post by mario »

Something a little more esoteric this time - which car did Emerson Fittipaldi once describe as the most terrifying car that he ever drove, and why did he find it so terrifying to drive?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Oh, isn't this the Lotus with the Pratt & Whitney gas turbine? I recall it had flames erupting quite close the drivers' heads...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

it must be the Gas turbine lotus. A car that was powered by essentially a jet that still powers aircraft being built today, it was initially designed to be run at the INDY 500 where it could run at full power the whole race, but it couldnt do that in F1. It meant that it had terrible lag. Plus jet engines are difficult to slow down as they always produce forward thrust. Jet aircraft have thrust reverses and on turboprop aircraft you can control the pitch of the propellers to slowdown. which helps them slowdown and reduces the strain on the brakes. But i dont believe that the lotus had reverse thrust.
mario

Post by mario »

tommykl wrote:Oh, isn't this the Lotus with the Pratt & Whitney gas turbine? I recall it had flames erupting quite close the drivers' heads...

I guess that you are the one who got there first - it was indeed the Lotus 56B, and you are right that the fact that the exit for the engines was dangerously close to the drivers head. Fittipaldi said that, asides from the handling being atrocious, he was in perpetual fear for his life whenever he drove the car because he was convinced that his head would end up being engulfed in flames (if the brakes didn't overheat and fail first).
Bobby Doorknobs

Right, off we go again.

Which driver was tragically killed when he struck a tree and was thrown from his Connaught in the 1955 Leinster Trophy race?
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:Right, off we go again.

Which driver was tragically killed when he struck a tree and was thrown from his Connaught in the 1955 Leinster Trophy race?

Don Beauman?
Bobby Doorknobs

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:Right, off we go again.

Don Beauman?

Correct. He was the only car driver to be killed on the Wicklow Circuit, in addition to two motorcyclists. All three are memorialized on a plaque at the western entrance to Wicklow town, several hundred metres from where the start line used to be.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

According to Forghiere, when Gilles Villeneuve carried out his first test for Ferrari, he managed, perhaps somewhat predictably, to break something on the car quite rapidly. How many laps did he manage to do around Fiorano when he first drove the car, and what did the team discover he had wrecked when he came back into the pits?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:According to Forghiere, when Gilles Villeneuve carried out his first test for Ferrari, he managed, perhaps somewhat predictably, to break something on the car quite rapidly. How many laps did he manage to do around Fiorano when he first drove the car, and what did the team discover he had wrecked when he came back into the pits?

I've no idea about this story, but I'm going to guess lap 2 and the engine's driveshaft?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Dont know but i will say he ruined the brakes after a really short amounr if laps around the track lets say 6 laps
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I will say he broke the brakes after 5 laps
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
mario

Post by mario »

Well, peteroli34 and AxelP800 have both got half of the answer right - it was indeed the brakes which Villeneuve wrecked, with Forghieri noting that the car came back with the discs glowing white hot and the pads disintegrating.

As for the number of laps, it took Gilles just 3 laps to comprehensively wreck the brakes - I guess that peteroli34 and AxelP800 both deserve half a point for getting half of the answer correct, with peteroli34 getting the right to set the next question.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

mario wrote:Well, peteroli34 and AxelP800 have both got half of the answer right - it was indeed the brakes which Villeneuve wrecked, with Forghieri noting that the car came back with the discs glowing white hot and the pads disintegrating.

As for the number of laps, it took Gilles just 3 laps to comprehensively wreck the brakes - I guess that peteroli34 and AxelP800 both deserve half a point for getting half of the answer correct, with peteroli34 getting the right to set the next question.

What did Mclaren do in 2006 that they didnt do again until 2008?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

peteroli34 wrote:
mario wrote:Well, peteroli34 and AxelP800 have both got half of the answer right - it was indeed the brakes which Villeneuve wrecked, with Forghieri noting that the car came back with the discs glowing white hot and the pads disintegrating.

Have a Finnish driver in their car?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

peteroli34 wrote:

I've heard this one before, I think, in a question on one of the Facebook groups. Was it not have two drivers on the podium in the same race?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

score constructor points?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Not have confidential information on another teams car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Compete in an even-numbered year?
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Not finish dead last in the Constructors Championship
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Not pay a $100 million fine to the governing body? Not have a reigning champion in one of the seats? Not have a rookie drive one of the cars?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Not have a Spanish driver?

Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:Not have a Spanish driver?

De la Rosa raced for them in 2006 :P
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:
tommykl wrote:Not have a Spanish driver?

De la Rosa raced for them in 2006 :P

But only half the year ;)