The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:
mario wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123156
Sauber having trouble with money again.

Given what happened with the team last year, you suspected that it was more of a question of when, rather than if, their financial problems would return.

Isn't this the season where Sauber receive a cut in the amount of TV money they receive, due to their 10th place in the 2014 WCC? I think the payments are backdated a season or two, if I remember correctly.

Either way, I seriously worry for Sauber's future when Nasr moves on, given Banco do Brasil money basically kept the team afloat last season.

As I understand things, a team is eligible for "Column 2" payments if they finish in the top 10 at least twice in the previous three years.

However, I think that Sauber would have taken the pain of that 10th place finish, and the subsequent cut in revenue, last year - bear in mind that one reason why Sauber tried to hinder Manor's revival was the fact that they were hoping to receive Manor's cut of the revenues from FOM that were due to be paid in 2015.
That said, they are probably still hurting from the fact that the team was more accustomed to finishing in 6th or 7th in the WCC rather than 8th in 2015, and moving up the WCC rankings is likely to become harder now that Toro Rosso have a better engine package.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If a White Russian is coffee liqueur, vodka and cream, what do you call Martini and milk?

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And just as you post that, it appears di Resta has been hired as the Williams reserve driver for this year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123241
I like how articles like this point out that his predecessor was Sutil, who got little to nothing out of the job last season. However, in di Resta's case, it's possibly more useful to the guy trying to get his foot back into the sport than the guy desperately trying not to get kicked out the sport.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Latifi has been hired by Renault to become their test driver for this year.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Miguel98 wrote:Latifi has been hired by Renault to become their test driver for this year.

I know they need some aggressiveness, but hiring an MMA fighter is going a bit too far IMHO.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.