The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

tommykl wrote:Speaking of rejectful football teams getting welcome exposure in European competitions, I've had a thought about the upcoming 2018 UEFA Nations League.

The league involves all UEFA members, split into four divisions, each division split into four groups, then a final knockout round, presumably with promotion and relegation. These divisions aren't decided with pots, mind, but by outright rankings. The top 12 teams go into division 1, the next 12 teams in division 2, then 14 and 16 in divisions 3 and 4. The result?

We have a 16-team division filled with only the most rejectful and therefore interesting teams in European football!

YES!
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
tommykl wrote:Speaking of rejectful football teams getting welcome exposure in European competitions, I've had a thought about the upcoming 2018 UEFA Nations League.

The league involves all UEFA members, split into four divisions, each division split into four groups, then a final knockout round, presumably with promotion and relegation. These divisions aren't decided with pots, mind, but by outright rankings. The top 12 teams go into division 1, the next 12 teams in division 2, then 14 and 16 in divisions 3 and 4. The result?

We have a 16-team division filled with only the most rejectful and therefore interesting teams in European football!

YES!

Yes and no, the single most interesting European team: the Vatican City national team isn't present (yes, they do have an unofficial national team. Their most recent match was a defeat against the unofficial Monaco national team in 2013. Unfortunately, Mount Athos does not have a national team. It would be quite something to see The Holy See play against The Holy Mountain in a battle for Christianity!
Also, the more regular interlands of the unofficial national teams of Isle Of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney are defenitely more interesting too! And don't forget the Sealand national team, which is relatively active too.

In other news: the war-plagued country Syria has progressed to the next phase in World Cup 2018 qualifying and qualified for the Asian Cup 2019.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianBelmonte_

BREAKING: Gary Neville returns to Sky Sports as a commentator
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:BREAKING: Gary Neville returns to Sky Sports as a commentator

When they conjured to fire Nuno Espírito Santo, Valencia was ninth, but only five points off 4th and amid a recovery of sorts although they had just lost to Sevilla away and were being poor in the champions league. Phil managed to bring his brother in charge of the team making it all in the family. Valencia is now fourteenth and only 6 points above relegation. It is worth adding that Phil Neville joined the club in July and afterwards things began to get a bit wobbly. While Jorge Mendes is a greedy guy, he still understands talent and recognizes competence despite the odd flop. Peter Lim decided instead to give the club's handling to his incompetent business friends. It could only result in this.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AdrianBelmonte_

DanielPT wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:BREAKING: Gary Neville returns to Sky Sports as a commentator

When they conjured to fire Nuno Espírito Santo, Valencia was ninth, but only five points off 4th and amid a recovery of sorts although they had just lost to Sevilla away and were being poor in the champions league. Phil managed to bring his brother in charge of the team making it all in the family. Valencia is now fourteenth and only 6 points above relegation. It is worth adding that Phil Neville joined the club in July and afterwards things began to get a bit wobbly. While Jorge Mendes is a greedy guy, he still understands talent and recognizes competence despite the odd flop. Peter Lim decided instead to give the club's handling to his incompetent business friends. It could only result in this.

Villarreal 2012, is that you?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ian Holloway has officially lost any credibility

Cotterill in the Championship team of the year? He wouldn't even make my Birmingham City team of the year!

Also, as it's yet to be mentioned on here.....

Yeah, i'm milking this big time.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

FullMetalJack wrote:Ian Holloway has officially lost any credibility

Cotterill in the Championship team of the year? He wouldn't even make my Birmingham City team of the year!

Yh it has been coming for a while now, but at least we have been rejectfully bad this season in the spirit of this forum. I guess a team must have been spectactularly bad to have lost to us this season in the league or a cup competition ;)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

gnrpoison wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Ian Holloway has officially lost any credibility

Yh it has been coming for a while now, but at least we have been rejectfully bad this season in the spirit of this forum. I guess a team must have been spectactularly bad to have lost to us this season in the league or a cup competition ;)

If we play like we have since early March, it's 6 easy points for you lot next season.
janesill

Post by janesill »

Any euro 2016 onlookers here? who are you guys rooting for? I will cheer for Team England but it seems as though Team Germany will win the title this season.
Euro 2016 news editor
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

janesill wrote:Any euro 2016 onlookers here? who are you guys rooting for? I will cheer for Team England but it seems as though Team Germany will win the title this season.

My nation is the only one of the UK nations not going to the Euros...so instead I'll support our nearest (spiritual) neighbour, Iceland. Small country, big ambition. It's 12 years since Greece won, and so we're due another new and unexpected winner...fingers crossed.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

As an Englishmen, England will have my support but I'm covering my bases with Iceland, which is where my wife and I went on honeymoon and who might actually get further...

On a side note, anyone doing the Euro 2016 sticker album? If I send you any stickers this year Al, I'll promise to pay the right postage this time! :facepalm:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Obviously, my allegiance lies with Belgium, but I just can't help rooting for most, if not all the teams making their débuts. Iceland being the best candidate for an upset.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:Obviously, my allegiance lies with Belgium, but I just can't help rooting for most, if not all the teams making their débuts. Iceland being the best candidate for an upset.

Idem ditto. Iceland is badass.

Though i'm also very curious which of the British teams will perform the best. I've got an idea about the level of Wales as they were in the same qualifying group as Belgium. England: no comment. But it's hard to judge how good or bad Northern Ireland is, as the teams in their qualifying group were also a bit hard to judge.

Now judging by qualifying performances, Austria and Poland might do very good. Czech republic has a reputation of pulling of good performances for the European Cup (but strangely almost never qualifying for a World Cup)

I also predict embarrassement for the host nation France and a typical Germanywinslol. Except in their second group match, as per tradition they always lose that one. That means Poland will get lucky. (Poland getting lucky? Against Germany? Wait, what? Polandballs is going to implode!)

But most of all: the most anticipated debut ever: Albania! (yup nobody cares about them, so that makes them the ultimate underdog)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I feel like the 1-1 friendly draw between Wales and Northern Ireland is telling. Wales would have expected to win that at home, but without Bale and Ramsey they offered very little in the way of attack. Even with Bale and Ramsey in the team, they only managed 11 goals in 10 games in qualifying in a group containing Andorra. The better teams should be able to mark Bale and Ramsey and then Wales are left with little else other than a half decent defence.

On the other hand, Northern Ireland didn't exactly control the game. Northern Ireland are a team that are the more than the sum of their parts, take a look at the squad and they lack a lot of talent and big game experience. Temperament and solidity gets you so far, but I feel they will be outclassed. They were somewhat fortunate in qualifying to be drawn in a weak group with the best team on paper, Greece, spectacularly imploding.

I would like the both of them to do well. Wales have a good chance of getting out of a mediocre group, but if their stars fail to fire then they'll have problems. England look pretty strong, Russia should be solid if not spectacular and Slovakia are much like Wales in terms of having spark from a key player (Hamsik) - they'd not be strong favourites in any of those games. With Northern Ireland, you get the feeling that they are surprised to have qualified, and in a group with some big fish I think their performances will be built from the defence forward. They are capable of getting a heroic draw or two but I'd be surprised to see them win any of their games.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

As much as i'm looking forward to the Euros, i'm not getting ahead of myself yet. There's still plenty to play for domestically.

A relegation scrap that could go down to the final day looks a real possibility now after recent results for Newcastle. Will they survive, or will it be Norwich or Sunderland? I wouldn't like to call it.

The Championship is as close as always, results went Brighton's way to give them a real chance of joining England's elite next season. Sadly we can't join them after our 2-2 draw with Preston mathematically ended our playoff hopes.

Along with a relegation scrap in League One and a promotion chase in League Two, not to mention non-league, Euro 2016 is not something i'm too concerned about.

Also, we could be seeing AFC Wimbledon and Milton Keynes Dons in the same division for the first time. Interested to see who will have the upper hand there should Wimbledon achieve another promotion.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will support Portugal even if we play poorly (and with Fernando 'The Greek' Santos, that is pretty much a given). But after that I will be looking forward for an Albania upset. It is the hipster choice. Iceland who? They are too mainstream 'underdog' to support. :D

Outside the obvious names, and in a more realistic way, I will be looking forward to see Poland, Austria and Romania to fare decently at the Euros.

Still, it won't be hard for one of the mentioned teams to reach last-16 given that 2/3 of the teams will go through group phase. And then it is a match to match basis. Anything can happen. Chances are good for an upset of sorts.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

watka wrote:As an Englishmen, England will have my support but I'm covering my bases with Iceland, which is where my wife and I went on honeymoon and who might actually get further...

This wrote:Idem ditto. Iceland is badass.

Need I say more?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

At the start of this month, we used to be 9 points behind Barcelona, now, we're tied, Real Madrid's still 1 point behind us

Breathtaking final phase for La Liga and for Barcelona, they just had a massive meltdown since their defeat at el Clásico, albeit they trashed Deportivo 8-0 this wednesday

Anyway, 2013-14 season, is that you?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Meanwhile, in the S.League, my home team, Geylang United, are doing quite well, having lost only once in eight games.

The main problem?

They've also only won once in eight games. That means despite sharing the record for least losses in the season so far, they're sitting pretty fourth from last, thanks to six incredible draws.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'd really like Albania to do well, simply so we get to see as much of Lorik Cana as possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_bZAdOKhk

FullMetalJack wrote:Also, we could be seeing AFC Wimbledon and Milton Keynes Dons in the same division for the first time. Interested to see who will have the upper hand there should Wimbledon achieve another promotion.

"Dons are going up, and the Franchise going down!" :dance:

The roars at Kingsmeadow when the MK-Brentford score came in were great! Not convinced we'll win the play-offs (especially if our boggie team Oxford are in it) but would love a trip to Wembley!
janesill

Post by janesill »

Yep, Iceland have a lot of heart. Hoping to see big surprises this season.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

watka wrote:The roars at Kingsmeadow when the MK-Brentford score came in were great!

I bet it was!

Playoffs should be interesting for you either way, assuming you hang onto that spot.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Belgium, finally a new edition.

I might have mentioned already that second division is going to be reformed into a 1B professional class and top amateur league class. The champion will of course go to 1A and the relegated team from 1A + the nrs 2 to 8 will be in that spot. Of course, on the condition they have a license. 10 teams have their licence, so far no problem.
Problem is that one team in the top 8 that didn't have a license. That is... you guessed it... White Star Brussels. Now the main reason is because they have no stadium for next year. The city of Molenbeek is tired of their antics and has kicked them out (besides, the city of Molenbeek has other things to worry about than a shady football team). Anderlecht doesnt have the capacity to host a second team, as they'll probably play some European matches, and the national stadium has already a deal with Union, and of course hosts national team matches, athletics and concerts. It seems nobody else seems to want to deal with a shady team that gets next to no supporters. Now thing is, one day before the end of the season, they can still become champion. (If Antwerp or Eupen win their match against each other, the winner of that match will get promotion, but if they draw, and WS wins their match, WS is champion. A champion with no license...
So what if... WS came champion and sold their matricule to for example Beerschot? Still i hope Antwerp will make it, any team that can get 5000 fans in an away game in second division in the relatively small Belgium diserves to be in first division. Not that i have something against Eupen, after all, they're the pride of the German-Speaking part of Belgium :P

Locally: my local team Hades has won another title and gets promoted to third division! Which will actually become the 4th level instead of the 3rd level like this year.
TommyKL's local team Sprimont is also still in the game to get to 'promotion' play offs from third division to second division which is the 3rd level instead of the 2nd level. Despite having started the season quite badly. So thumbs up for them, please destroy Sporting Hasselt, because i don't want them to get promoted, we need a city derby next year!
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

So Tottenham got 1 point only with West Brom. With 3 games to go and 7 points lead, the fairy tale looks promising for Leicester/The Foxes :D
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AxelP800 wrote:So Tottenham got 1 point only with West Brom. With 3 games to go and 7 points lead, the fairy tale looks promising for Leicester/The Foxes :D

...and none of this would have happened if Nigel Pearson's son hadn't racially abused a Thai prostitute. Not that I'm condoning racism.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Meanwhile in Belgium
TommyKL's local team Sprimont is also still in the game to get to 'promotion' play offs from third division to second division which is the 3rd level instead of the 2nd level. Despite having started the season quite badly. So thumbs up for them, please destroy Sporting Hasselt, because i don't want them to get promoted, we need a city derby next year!

Are they really? I can't say I've been following them all that closely since I saw them hovering around 12th place a few months back :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:Meanwhile in Belgium

Are they really? I can't say I've been following them all that closely since I saw them hovering around 12th place a few months back :P

They are now 6th, and nr's 3-6 will play in the play-off (for those with a licence for first amateur liga, but somehow Sprimont managed to get a license for that, despite their problems with the size of their field) Out of those 8 teams from 3A and 3B, 3 teams will go to first amateur. Possibly 4 if WS doesnt manage to find a solution, as they don't have a license for the first amateur division either. With one game to go, they can only be threatened by Club Liège and Rupel Boom, but because the higher placed Ciney doesn't have a license (but very tasty beer!), they only need to beat one of those two. Then again, they can also still lose everything on the last day.

Edit: and the meanwhile in Belgium season seems to truly get started now. And guess which team is involved again? Yup, WS Brussels :facepalm: This time though, it is not of their own antics, but because Seraing fielded an unlisted player. Also a few other teams now see their loss/draw turned into a win, but WS is the only on the top. Which means WS is now the new leader, and only needs to win their next game to be champion. With the possibility that the second division champion will be relegated to second amateur league if they can't get a license in court.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

...how did we get a licence? I thought that was the main sticking point for the past few years?

Anyways, I don't see the problem of stadium size going away. The stadium is built in a very narrow valley with no real room to expand. There's a road on one side that's already right up against the stands, and on the other side, it's land owned by a campsite. Behind the goals, you have a training pitch and a tennis club respectively. No real room to expand, unfortunately.

gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

In other news, good to see some much long awaited justice for one of the biggest tragedies in English football. Regardless of who you support, no one should die at a football match watching the team they love.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337
AdrianBelmonte_

AxelP800 wrote:So Tottenham got 1 point only with West Brom. With 3 games to go and 7 points lead, the fairy tale looks promising for Leicester/The Foxes :D

I have some symphathy for the Foxes because of their nickname (obviously) and i was expecting them to do accepptably well this season despite Ranieri (don't forget the italian managed Atlético de Madrid the year we got relegated)

I wasn't expecting this miracle at all, now it's almost on their hands, so COYF

Meanwhile in "non-Foxes related stuff", we play tonight against Bayern Munich, we want revenge for the 1974 final
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Belgium starring WS Brussels part 958455767
After a complaint of Eupen, now the decision to give WS Brussels two extra points is suspended. Therefore, now Eupen is back as temporary leader and Eupen and Antwerp can be temporary champion.
But the title decision will be done in the higher court. And the pro-license of WS also needs to be fought in court.
And you wonder why nobody ever tells you about Belgian second division? Here's the answer.

The end of this beautiful soap opera isn't near. So stay tuned. WS delivers when it comes to rejects news!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

In news that is sure to make Claudio Lotito's blood boil, F.C. Crotone have mathematically secure promotion to Serie A, for the first time in the club's history. They are only the third ever team from the Calabria region to play in the top division to boot.

Someone get Lotito a map. I'm sure he doesn't know where Crotone is either :deletraz:

Image Image
AdrianBelmonte_

Biscione wrote:In news that is sure to make Claudio Lotito's blood boil, F.C. Crotone have mathematically secure promotion to Serie A, for the first time in the club's history. They are only the third ever team from the Calabria region to play in the top division to boot.

Someone get Lotito a map. I'm sure he doesn't know where Crotone is either :deletraz:

Carpi, Frosinone and now Crotone, poor Lotito...

Also, we could have our own Crotone in the shape of C.D. Leganés
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Molenbeek (because the rest of Belgium isn't as rejectful anymore)
WS is now mathematical champion of 2nd division anyway (with or without the extra points, doesnt seem to matter, as Eupen and Antwerp had a draw)
But because of their license problems, we still don't know who's going to get promoted. (Eupen is the next in line now). This is also annoying for 9th placed team Roeselare (though the ironic thing is Roeselare were the ones suggesting those restructurings in the first place)

But the good news is that Sprimont somehow got into the play-offs for promotion to the top amateur league, i guess. Sprimont, the hope of Belgium's football in the darkest days. Though not a reference for having a perfectly measured pitch or anything else involving plants.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Leicester City are Premier League champions. What a story.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is a season we'll be talking about 50 years from now. "Where were you when Leicester City won the Premier League?"
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

East Londoner wrote:This is a season we'll be talking about 50 years from now. "Where were you when Leicester City won the Premier League?"

Aye and the English will still be going on about 1966 (meanwhile in Scotland we still haven't qualified for a major tournament since france '98)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I have no words, I never thought something like this would ever happen, what a great story, and a great advertisement for football. Plus, we kind of owe them one after their victory against Doncaster Rovers kept us in the Championship two years ago.

Question now is, how will their title defence pan out?

All in all, not bad for a team who were playing football in the same division as Hereford United and Stockport County 7 years ago.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

FullMetalJack wrote:Question now is, how will their title defence pan out?

Their players get poached, the double effort due to the Champions League will hurt them, they end up somewhere near or at the Europa League spots.

Source: every underdog champion in any major European league ever