Aguaman

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix

Post by Aguaman »

And there goes Max.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Vestappen Max goes outta!!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh dear, Sky F1's other golden boy has binned it. Again.
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

And Max in the wall again.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Oooh Hamilton very naughty there, very close to smashing Ricciardo in to the wall
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

Well, the stewards have obviously been bought off.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Right now, we either need it to rain again, Lewis to crash or for everyone other than those on Soft tyres to have to pit. Otherwise it will be another boring Mercedes win.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

lol Sauber.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Ha ha ha ha! ****ing genius guys, well done!

No need for reject of the race - it's been decided.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Well that's Sauber bankrupted

Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Looking at it now with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps the Sutil/Gutierrez line up wasnt all that bad for Sauber.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Those guys at Pirelli. They either don't know how to sell their tyres or they don't really know much about their business.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

No point watching the post-race coverage then. 'Hamilton fight-back...blah blah.....tactical brilliance...blah blah'.

In reality - Ricciardo robbed even more than a fortnight ago.

Incidentally, I had a bet on Button on 150-1 but as soon as the rain stopped early I knew that wasn't going to work!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Bwahahahaha nice one Hulkenberg!!!

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

lol Rosberg. That leads goes down to about 24.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Barbazza wrote:No point watching the post-race coverage then. 'Hamilton fight-back...blah blah.....tactical brilliance...blah blah'.

You actually watch Sky's post-race coverage on other weekends?
#FreeGonzo
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

The Biebs.

Princess, dig the little pixie style haircut.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Great race, but I guarantee Sky are going to spin this into some kind of redemption story for Hamilton, as if three podiums, two poles and another points finish is apparently a terrible start to the season for him.

Hulkenberg has got to be wondering if he has some sort of curse, because every time Force India are in contention for the podium, Checo takes advantage. Still, that was a superb last lap pass.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Simtek wrote:You actually watch Sky's post-race coverage on other weekends?

Ha, the bits that aren't Mercedes / Verstappen / Christian Horner related only! (ie about 15 minutes of it...)
Bobby Doorknobs

East Londoner wrote:Great race, but I guarantee Sky are going to spin this into some kind of redemption story for Hamilton, as if three podiums, two poles and another points finish is apparently a terrible start to the season for him.

Well, looking at his teammate who took four wins on the trot, yeah, I'd be inclined to agree that's not a good start to his title defence.
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

So for the second race running RBR somehow screws Ricciardo in tyre strategy. Well done for Lewis, he should start to come back to Rosberg now.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

East Londoner wrote:Great race, but I guarantee Sky are going to spin this into some kind of redemption story for Hamilton, as if three podiums, two poles and another points finish is apparently a terrible start to the season for him.

Hulkenberg has got to be wondering if he has some sort of curse, because every time Force India are in contention for the podium, Checo takes advantage. Still, that was a superb last lap pass.

Maybe Perez is just a better F1 driver as a whole rather than just speed.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

DanielPT wrote:So for the second race running RBR somehow screws Ricciardo in tyre strategy. Well done for Lewis, he should start to come back to Rosberg now.

Someone should ask Chase Elliott and Kevin Harvick if their pit crews are attemping a Monaco-Charlotte double this year. Or ask Jeff Gordon if he gave his 2015 pit crew (which is probably Chase's current crew, actually) to Red Bull. I can sort-of believe Red Bull are pretty stupid behind the pit wall, sadly. What I don't get is how they manage to bathplug up a pitstop THAT badly! :facepalm:

That's the kind of garbage I see all the time whenever Chase or Kevin make a pit stop. Disgraceful.

Props to Lewis for keeping Dan behind him. Yeah, I was very salty when I realized that Dan wasn't going to win after that pitstop, which is, quite frankly, bulls___. And of course I come back to the screen AFTER the Sauber boys became dipsticks at Rascasse.
mario

Post by mario »

Aguaman wrote:

Maybe Perez is just a better F1 driver as a whole rather than just speed.

It does seem to be the case that Perez just manages to extract the most from the car in those few moments when they come up, whilst in recent years Hulkenberg just cannot quite put it together.

Today was another one of those instances - he'd actually been running ahead of Perez in the earlier stages of the race, but just couldn't quite work himself into free air and ended up dropping back. His move against Rosberg at the end was at least some consolation, but Perez just always seems to be the more tactically astute when it comes to those sorts of marginal situations.

lance_rambert wrote:
DanielPT wrote:So for the second race running RBR somehow screws Ricciardo in tyre strategy. Well done for Lewis, he should start to come back to Rosberg now.

Someone should ask Chase Elliott and Kevin Harvick if their pit crews are attemping a Monaco-Charlotte double this year. Or ask Jeff Gordon if he gave his 2015 pit crew (which is probably Chase's current crew, actually) to Red Bull. I can sort-of believe Red Bull are pretty stupid behind the pit wall, sadly. What I don't get is how they manage to bathplug up a pitstop THAT badly! :facepalm:

That's the kind of garbage I see all the time whenever Chase or Kevin make a pit stop. Disgraceful.

Props to Lewis for keeping Dan behind him. Yeah, I was very salty when I realized that Dan wasn't going to win after that pitstop, which is, quite frankly, bulls___.

As you say, credit where it is due to Hamilton for resisting Ricciardo's persistent pressure and for making the gamble of staying on the wets until the track dried out work, but I can understand why Ricciardo would be bitter about the way the race played out.

Whilst Ricciardo might not have liked Hamilton's defence on track (though I would not be surprised if he would have done the same move if he'd been in front), I think that he's far more annoyed at what happened in the pits. He shouldn't have been behind Hamilton by that point in the race if Red Bull hadn't messed everything up in the pits - Marko certainly looked like a man who couldn't believe what had happened and I can imagine that he'll be asking a lot of questions behind the scenes about what went wrong.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Aguaman wrote:The Biebs.

Princess, dig the little pixie style haircut.

I'm calling it right now: Hamilton won't win the title as Justin has jinxed him for the rest of his career.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I hope so. I bet they were swapping ear-ring tips.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I'm thinking ham and beib will end up getting married lolz....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For once I agree with Helmut Marko, when he says that Red Bull 'gifted' the race win to Mercedes.

Which makes the second Lewis Hamilton win at Monaco which has been won entirely on extreme circumstance.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Fantastic race, really enjoyable, although I was gutted for Ricciardo when his pit stop was ballsed up.

One thing I wasn't able to pick up on C4's highlights - was Rosberg asked to move over by the team? It was clearly a deliberate move so I suspect so, but no team radio was played. Bizarrely he had no pace all race, I can't understand that, but as a team call it was obviously the right thing to let Hamilton by. If Red Bull hadn't made their errors, it was in the bag, but with the errors, allowing Lewis by meant he was in a position to capitalise. Cooped up behind Nico neither would have been.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Great race. I have to say i've really enjoyed this season so far, every single race. Best season since 2012 for me.

Absolutely gutted for Ricciardo though, drove his heart out today only to have his team cost him the win.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

AndreaModa wrote:
was Rosberg asked to move over by the team?

Yes he was. Merc confirmed it on Twitter. Nico complained of "brake problems" on the radio early on. That likely screwed with ERS and of course you can't brake at your preferred spots on track so... he was basically f'ed the entire race.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

lance_rambert wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Yes he was. Merc confirmed it on Twitter. Nico complained of "brake problems" on the radio early on. That likely screwed with ERS and of course you can't brake at your preferred spots on track so... he was basically f'ed the entire race.

Interesting! Cheers for that. That's the sort of thing you miss out on with the highlights. Brake trouble would explain the cautious driving, which might go some way to letting Rosberg off his poor performance. I bet it was really hard in the wet, I guess he probably did well to keep it out of the barriers really.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:
lance_rambert wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Interesting! Cheers for that. That's the sort of thing you miss out on with the highlights. Brake trouble would explain the cautious driving, which might go some way to letting Rosberg off his poor performance. I bet it was really hard in the wet, I guess he probably did well to keep it out of the barriers really.

Even when Edwards and DC were calling it live (Setanta uses the live Channel 4 feed even when C4 only have highlights) they never picked up on the fact that Rosberg actually let Hamilton pass and thought he had merely made a mistake or something along those lines.

Either that or I missed out on them finding out about it!
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:
lance_rambert wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

It seems that Rosberg's issues were down to the team closing the ducts off with slightly too much tape before the start, causing them to overheat during the first phase of the race. It left him with a bit of a dilemma - he could either push on to maintain tyre temperature, but risk overheating his brakes, or back off to preserve the brakes but lose tyre performance instead.

However, I believe that problem was then resolved after his first pit stop when the team opened up the brake ducts - you can see that he was a bit more competitive after that point. That said, he didn't seem to be truly comfortable during the race - both Mercedes drivers were complaining about warm up issues with their front tyres throughout most of the weekend.

Speaking of which, I have seen some ask why Mercedes went for the ultrasoft tyres for their drivers for that final stint. Thinking about it, they do have a point - generally, it is the case for Pirelli's tyres that the softer the compound is, the higher the working temperature of the tyre is.

Now, we saw that both Mercedes's were struggling to maintain tyre temperature after the longer virtual safety car periods, whereas Ricciardo seemed more comfortable on the restarts. Further back, we saw that Perez and Vettel were setting fairly competitive times on the soft compound as well, suggesting that the slight loss of mechanical grip was offset by the fact it was easier to keep the tyres in their working temperature range.

Now, I can see why Mercedes might have wanted to put their drivers onto a fast tyre for the outlap, given they were trying to gain track position by that strategy. However, given that the ultrasofts were not expected to last that long before the race began, added to the fact that Mercedes were having difficulty in building up the temperature in their tyres and the cooler conditions favoured tyres with a lower working temperature, and it does seem odd that Mercedes went against most of the other teams by picking the ultrasofts instead of the supersofts.

In retrospect, it actually seems like a slightly risky strategy for Mercedes to have chosen - they just about got away with it, but were a bit lucky in that respect.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:Absolutely gutted for Ricciardo though, drove his heart out today only to have his team cost him the win.

Ditto. Other than him I do think Hamilton deserved it and, as we're always told, it's good for the championship for Hamilton to be closer to Rosberg.
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The bad journalism strikes again. One of the racing blogs from Globo sports section said "Ericsson intentionally crashed into Nasr" :facepalm:

"...In the monday morning I received some information from a close source from Sauber team: Marcus admitted he intentionally crashed into his team mate. The Swedish driver confessed his bad intention in the meeting with Monisha Kaltenborn in the Sunday in Monaco..."
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
andrew

Post by andrew »

It's spa 2014 repeated!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Dj_bereta wrote:The bad journalism strikes again. One of the racing blogs from Globo sports section said "Ericsson intentionally crashed into Nasr" :facepalm:

"...In the monday morning I received some information from a close source from Sauber team: Marcus admitted he intentionally crashed into his team mate. The Swedish driver confessed his bad intention in the meeting with Monisha Kaltenborn in the Sunday in Monaco..."

Move over Senna and Prost, move over Hunt and Lauda, move over Hill and Schumacher, there's a new duo on the block!

Can't wait for the movie, I can see it now...

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE DRIVERS!

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE TEAM!

YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF THE RACE TRACK, TOP GEAR DID A FEATURE THERE ONCE!

BUT NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU FOR WHEN A SOFTLY SPOKEN SWEDE INTENTIONALLY TAKES OUT HIS EQUALLY ANONYMOUS TEAM-MATE!
Just For One Day...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

CoopsII wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:The bad journalism strikes again. One of the racing blogs from Globo sports section said "Ericsson intentionally crashed into Nasr" :facepalm:

Move over Senna and Prost, move over Hunt and Lauda, move over Hill and Schumacher, there's a new duo on the block!

Can't wait for the movie, I can see it now...

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE DRIVERS!

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE TEAM!

YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF THE RACE TRACK, TOP GEAR DID A FEATURE THERE ONCE!

BUT NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU FOR WHEN A SOFTLY SPOKEN SWEDE INTENTIONALLY TAKES OUT HIS EQUALLY ANONYMOUS TEAM-MATE!

I'd watch it.
No, seriously, why hasn't anyone thought about it before?
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.