2016 Grand Prix of Azerbaijan thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
andrew

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Azerbaijan thread

Post by andrew »

mario wrote:
Waris wrote:Let me tell you: If Pérez hadn't had that five-place grid penalty, he could've won this race today. At the very least it could've been an extremely interesting fight for the lead between him and Rosberg.

I have to disagree there, because I think that Rosberg had a lot more up his sleeves than he was showing and was simply driving to maintain a decent gap to Vettel and not taking too much out of his tyres in case of a late safety car.

I think that he probably would have had a shot at 2nd place, given that Vettel didn't finish that far up the road from him, but I don't think that Perez had the raw pace to challenge Rosberg for the win.

andrew wrote:Re the swearing thing, the Ferrari drivers have been doing far more than anyone else this season and this is the first time that Lewis has done it so they probally will not react in the same way.

A few people seem to have commented about that, and I do feel that Vettel and Raikkonen seem to have complained a lot more about being held up and about the behaviour of other drivers on track than last year.

Perhaps it is because they've not made as much progress as they'd hoped for over the winter and can't rely on being able to pull out a gap on their rivals? That might then make the drivers more desperate to get past backmarkers to minimise time losses, which in turn makes them more liable to complain when they're held up.

Personally I think it may be partly that, but also something to do with the total lack of any other radio transmission.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

It was a fairly clean race, I didn't expect that
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Dull race. And it appeared to me that Haryantos race was ruined at the first corner after contact with, I think, his team-mate. If that was the case it leads me to conclude that Rio had Pascal running scared and under pressure.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Apparently Bottas hit 378 km/h (234.9 mph for those of us, including myself, living in the Stone Age ;)) on the main straight in qualifying, which would be the highest top speed ever seen in an official F1 session. Not bad for an engine that's "too quiet" and not "proper" F1 :D
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Apparently Bottas hit 378 km/h (234.9 mph for those of us, including myself, living in the Stone Age ;)) on the main straight in qualifying, which would be the highest top speed ever seen in an official F1 session. Not bad for an engine that's "too quiet" and not "proper" F1 :D

Not bad for a street track! Looking forward to seeing similar speeds at Monza in the future without the Rettifilo chicane (if the Italian GP doesn't end up at Imola first?).

Paul Hayes wrote:One thing I am happy about is the 2pm UK start time - as I finish work at 1 on Sundays, it means this is a lunchtime race I can actually watch live for a change, rather than on half an hour's delay!

I'm at church most Sundays, so I'm in a similar position. Once I've left church and found myself some lunch, it's normally about a half-hour delay for me too. Of course, it makes following live timings and stuff impossible because spoilers.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Before we close this one out, Palmer got in on the whining game after qualifying dead last (again) at Baku.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... q1--palmer

What does he want? The top teams to just roll over? We've seen in previously years how the likes of Red Bull, Ferrari and Williams have got it badly wrong in Q1 so they have to go for it. And there's a reason why Q1 is longer and that is because there are more cars out on track so it gives greater leeway to ensure everyone gets a shot at a clean lap.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
IceG

Post by IceG »

I think that story entirely justifies the opinion that Palmer should not be in an F1 car
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If Di Resta was known on this forum as the "Glass of Milk", then I propose that we name Palmer the "Glass of Whine".

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

IceG wrote:I think that story entirely justifies the opinion that Palmer should not be in an F1 car

yeah he is only there because of his name certainly not because of his talent.....
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

WeirdKerr wrote:
IceG wrote:I think that story entirely justifies the opinion that Palmer should not be in an F1 car

yeah he is only there because of his name certainly not because of his talent.....

Jonathan Palmer surely wasn't THAT good, right? I thought Jolyon was "there because of his money," as his father put it. The old man saying that then doing it 10... er, 20 years later is pretty amusing. :deletraz:

... I actually miss Maldonado now.

..and I fail at basic maths
Last edited by lance_rambert on 23 Jun 2016, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

lance_rambert wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

Jonathan Palmer surely wasn't THAT good, right? I thought Jolyon was "there because of his money," as his father put it. The old man saying that then doing it 10 years later is pretty amusing. :deletraz:

... I actually miss Maldonado now.

From what i've seen, Jonathan Palmer wasn't bad at all, but not good enough that someone could coast by on his name.

Pretty handy around street circuits though, whilst Jolyon has yet to show any signs of being the same.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

lance_rambert wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

Jonathan Palmer surely wasn't THAT good, right?

He was an FIA F1 title winner in 1987!

lance_rambert wrote:I thought Jolyon was "there because of his money," as his father put it. The old man saying that then doing it 10 years later is pretty amusing. :deletraz:

20 years!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
johnston21

Lewis Trashes Hotel Room, re: Azerbaijan thread

Post by johnston21 »

Well, at least it wasn't a Japanese refrigerator off the balcony.

...as reported on F1-Live

Edit:
Seems these comments have since been retracted. :?