Aerial view of Monza - question

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dresda

Aerial view of Monza - question

Post by dresda »

Here's a question for all you trivia buffs out there... I was looking at the aerial view of Monza on Google satellite view today during my lunch hour. What is the round clearing with roads radiating from it, centred in Curva Nord.

Here's the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=monza,+italy&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.812293,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=45.624378,9.286644&spn=0.009799,0.02738&t=k&z=16

There's another strange circle of trees here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=monza,+italy&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.812293,78.75&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=45.61727,9.287704&spn=0.001225,0.002403&z=19&iwloc=A

Alien landing areas perhaps? Wikipedia doesn't have the answer...
'08 BMW F650GS (Jutta), '01 Suzuku DR650, '03 VW Golf TDI (Teddy)
Jack O Malley

Re: Aerial view of Monza - question

Post by Jack O Malley »

The Monza track was built in 1922 in the middle of the Royal Park of Monza, which was built in 1808 by Napoleon's son who was at that time Viceroy of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy (note the amazing longevity of the country - 9 years).
I have found some pages (only in Italian, sorry) that show the original layout of the Park, and those circles are likely to be "roundabouts" in the park's paths.
Look here: http://www.comune.monza.mi.it/rd/la_tua_citta/3230.htm and here: http://www.parcomonza.org/
The second circle is not shown in the original layout, seems to be a more recent thing.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
dresda

Post by dresda »

Oh, thanks so much! I knew the track had been there since the 20s and that first circle with the radiating roads looked like it had pre-dated the track. I didn't think it was a Roman Ruin however. I'll have to look at that park layout in more detail, its very interesting. Imagine the furor now if someone wanted to build a race track in a park! The petitions! The Protest marches!

Thanks!

Stephanie
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Albert Park, Melbourne... ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Albert Park, Melbourne... ;)

Isn't Albert Park converted from roads around there, though? It's not building a whole new circuit, though I imagine they did have to put in the paddock, run-off areas, and such.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

dresda wrote: I didn't think it was a Roman Ruin however.

Roman? :?
Imagine the furor now if someone wanted to build a race track in a park! The petitions! The Protest marches!

Indeed. By the way, in the years between the birth of the modern Italy (1861) and the circuit construction (1922), the Park was sadly abandoned: first it became property of the Royal Family which closed it to the public, then, after King Umberto's murder in Monza (1900) was abandoned even by the Savoy family. Such a large abandoned area was considered to be a waste of terrain, so the circuit was built without opposition, along with a hippodrome (now lost) and a large golf course.
Actually, the second link I posted is the website of a enviromentalist association that fights for the preservation of (the remains of) the Royal Park.
Thanks!
Stephanie

you're welcome!
dresda

Post by dresda »

Jack O Malley wrote:
dresda wrote: I didn't think it was a Roman Ruin however.

Roman? :?

Yes, like these: http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=32.63,14.312222&ie=UTF8&ll=32.632224,14.309188&spn=0.003045,0.006866&z=18 in Libya.

Google Satellite view is a great way to waste a boring lunch hour at the office.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Albert Park, Melbourne... ;)

Isn't Albert Park converted from roads around there, though? It's not building a whole new circuit, though I imagine they did have to put in the paddock, run-off areas, and such.

Most of it is pre-existing roads, but when the circuit was first proposed, a section across the top had to be added to make it a complete loop within the park boundaries.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

One of those circles is for a tether-car track. I can't remember where it was, but I've seen and I remember it was in the middle of the park, a bit removed from the paddock.
Tether cars are model cars that run on a circular banked track, with a concrete pole in the middle. The cars are attached to the pole with a steel cable or tether. The cars run one at a time. There are several classes depending on engine size and the fastest cars reach silly speeds. I first heard about them (and heard them! very very loud!) and saw them run at the 2003 FIA Sportscar race in Monza.
Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tether_car

I've got some photos somewhere.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Faustus wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tether_car

I've got some photos somewhere.

:o 344 kph!! I never heard of them... Looks amazing!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sorry, my post earlier was commenting on Stephanie's comments about the protests about having a GP in a parkland. There have been, I have heard, enviromentalists protesting there every year. Whereas in Europe, we just get people buying homes near purpose-built racetracks then realise that they're noisy and put noise restrictions upon them.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:Sorry, my post earlier was commenting on Stephanie's comments about the protests about having a GP in a parkland. There have been, I have heard, enviromentalists protesting there every year. Whereas in Europe, we just get people buying homes near purpose-built racetracks then realise that they're noisy and put noise restrictions upon them.

Brands Hatch is a perfect case in point. The residents of West Kingsdown get a free yearly pass to Brands Hatch.
Last edited by Faustus on 08 Jul 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

dr-baker wrote:Sorry, my post earlier was commenting on Stephanie's comments about the protests about having a GP in a parkland. There have been, I have heard, enviromentalists protesting there every year. Whereas in Europe, we just get people buying homes near purpose-built racetracks then realise that they're noisy and put noise restrictions upon them.

There was a woman who did that with Croft. She was told exactly what it was and the natue of it was made pretty clear. Within a few weeks of moving to a nearby town, shehad filed a noise complaint and Croft was forced to cut back its actitivtes by over 70%. All the enthusiasts had to lose out because of one person's selfishness.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
BabyG

Post by BabyG »

The google satellite image of the Hockenheimring is the pre-2002 layout. It makes for some pretty nostaligic viewing!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Not only Croft but Zandvoort as well, and Monza has had problems with residents' complaints, almost leading to the cancellation of its Grand Prix.
MCard LOLA
sailer 99

Post by sailer 99 »

I say the circles are where bernie and compsny hold there pow-wows and come up with rules like medal systems.
The best driver is the one who can drive past a first corner crash not be in front of it