Unusual F1 Stats

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Aislabie

Re: Unusual F1 Stats

Post by Aislabie »

As of the British Grand Prix, Safety Car driver Bernd Maylander has now led more Grand Prix laps (637) than Jacques Villeneuve (633), putting him at number 31 on the all-time list; next up Carlos Reutemann.

Statistic courtesy of Reddit.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Talking about it, I think this season is close to break the record of most lap under safety car. I believe 2007 holds the record.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Dj_bereta wrote:Talking about it, I think this season is close to break the record of most lap under safety car. I believe 2007 holds the record.

26 laps so far, plus a load of VSC. Record by some way is 73 in 2010
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The only thing that makes the current safety car fest worse is that it's actually better than 2010.

They might as well have red flagged Japan and Korea that year, for all the safety car laps they did for no reason.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

However, by other calculation it can be said that Mayländer has led 80 laps in ten races which were started behind SC. (there are total of 11, but one of them before he took the job)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Does anyone have the full list of F1 safety car drivers? I think before Bernd Maylander is was Oliver Gavin but beyond that I have no idea. Likewise the medical car? I can see Alan van der Merwe is the current one and Alex Ribiero has done the job too.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

watka wrote:Does anyone have the full list of F1 safety car drivers? I think before Bernd Maylander is was Oliver Gavin but beyond that I have no idea. Likewise the medical car? I can see Alan van der Merwe is the current one and Alex Ribiero has done the job too.

Marcel Fassler also drove the safety car briefly in 2001 when Maylander was ill. And then there is of course the great Eppie Wietzes in the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix...
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

watka wrote:Does anyone have the full list of F1 safety car drivers? I think before Bernd Maylander is was Oliver Gavin but beyond that I have no idea. Likewise the medical car? I can see Alan van der Merwe is the current one and Alex Ribiero has done the job too.

Oliver Gavin was the first official safety car driver, prior to the 1996 Belgian GP, the safety car and i guess the medical car was provided by the track i believe, and that the car and driver would change by the race. Jean Ragnott was the one who hit Taki Inoue at Monaco !995 while Max Angelelli was driving that tragic day in San Marino.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

McLaren lining up 7th and 8th on the grid at the Hungaroring marks the first time they've both been in Q3 since McLaren-Honda's return at the beginning of year.

The last McLaren double-Q3 qualifying finish was the last race of 2014 at Abu Dhabi, which was 30 races ago.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

I've got the bad feeling Nico Rosberg may be the first person to win the first four races of the season and FAIL to win the Driver's Championship.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

lance_rambert wrote:I've got the bad feeling Nico Rosberg may be the first person to win the first four races of the season and FAIL to win the Driver's Championship.

I think he has the record of "most races leading the championship without a title" as well.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Hungary very much reminded me of Spain, except that the Mercedes drivers didn't take each other out. It seems that the Ferraris and Red Bulls are very much a match for each other, so I thought I'd compare the actual championship against what it would look like without the Mercedes.

Actual:
3rd Daniel Ricciardo - 115pts - no wins
4th Kimi Raikkonen - 114pts - no wins
5th Sebastian Vettel - 110pts - no wins
6th Max Verstappen - 100pts - 1 win (SPA)
7th Valtteri Bottas - 56pts - no wins

2nd Ferrari - 224pts - no wins
3rd Red Bull - 223pts - 1 win
4th Williams - 94pts - no wins

Excluding Mercedes:
1st Daniel Ricciardo - 168pts - 2 wins (MON, HUN)
2nd Sebastian Vettel - 154pts - 4 wins (AUS, CHN, CAN, EUR)
3rd Kimi Raikkonen - 152pts - 2 wins (BHR, RUS)
4th Max Verstappen - 137pts - 3 wins (SPA, AUT, GBR)
5th Valtteri Bottas - 89pts - no wins

1st Ferrari - 306pts - 6 wins
2nd Red Bull - 305pts - 5 wins
3rd Williams - 151pts - no wins

For the record, Rio Haryanto would be the only driver not yet to score (Gutierrez and Palmer would both have 4 points, Ericsson and Nasr would both have 1).
And Romain Grosjean would have been on the podium in Bahrain.

Basically, if you take out Mercedes, a lot of people would be heralding this as a great season.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

You know watka, I think I did similar math back in 2014 and Halfway through the season the titlefight was between Bottas and Ricciardo...

Anyhow, I started wondering just how "boring" this decade has been when it comes to championship winners, and started checking how this decade thus far stands out when it comes to different champions. At this pace, It'll challenge the most one-sided decades. infact all decades thus far bar 50's and 2000's (which had 5 different champions) have had 7 different champions.

So if Lewis takes his 3rd consecutive title, the best the 2010's can muster is 5 different champions, and that is assuming all remaining titles are taken by anybody not named Vettel or Hamilton.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Waris

Post by Waris »

At the Hungarian Grand Prix, the podium finished in order of the championship standings.
How many times has this happened? Obviously at the first grand prix of every season, but apart from that?

And what is the largest number of drivers that have finished, or qualified, in order of the championship standings?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Waris wrote:At the Hungarian Grand Prix, the podium finished in order of the championship standings.
How many times has this happened? Obviously at the first grand prix of every season, but apart from that?

And what is the largest number of drivers that have finished, or qualified, in order of the championship standings?

I don't know about championship standings at the time a race was held, but the top six of the 1973 Monaco Grand Prix finished in the exact order they ended up in the final standings that year, which I think is the most ever.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:
Waris wrote:At the Hungarian Grand Prix, the podium finished in order of the championship standings.

I don't know about championship standings at the time a race was held, but the top six of the 1973 Monaco Grand Prix finished in the exact order they ended up in the final standings that year, which I think is the most ever.

It is the most ever. First runner-up is 2011 Singapore with 5.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

Every time Sainz has finished 8th this year Hamilton was the winner.
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the reunification of Germany, F1 has had at least one first-time winner in every (summer) Olympics/European Championships year.

1992 - Michael Schumacher
1996 - Olivier Panis/Jacques Villeneuve
2000 - Rubens Barrichello
2004 - Jarno Trulli
2008 - Heikki Kovalainen/Robert Kubica/Sebastian Vettel
2012 - Nico Rosberg/Pastor Maldonado
2016 - Max Verstappen
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Everyone engine make currently competing in F1 has been represented by a constructor of the same name (Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault). When else has this happened?
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Everyone engine make currently competing in F1 has been represented by a constructor of the same name (Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault). When else has this happened?

Honda has also previously had their own works team in the 1960s, but without a current full works team, working instead in conjunction with McLaren.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Romain Grosjean, Daniil Kvyat and Jenson Button have completed at least one lap in every single position this season, except for the race lead.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:Romain Grosjean, Daniil Kvyat and Jenson Button have completed at least one lap in every single position this season, except for the race lead.

When did Jenson run as high as a podium position? Was it during a pit-stop sequence that I missed/slept through?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
tommykl wrote:Romain Grosjean, Daniil Kvyat and Jenson Button have completed at least one lap in every single position this season, except for the race lead.

When did Jenson run as high as a podium position? Was it during a pit-stop sequence that I missed/slept through?

In Austria! He qualified third and ran in second place after Hülkenberg's awful start.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

In Austria! He qualified third and ran in second place after Hülkenberg's awful start.

Oh yeah... Where he actually qualified fifth but started third... :facepalm:
MCard LOLA
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Is 2016 the first season we've had two drivers named Esteban?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
tanel

Post by tanel »

AustralianStig wrote:Is 2016 the first season we've had two drivers named Esteban?

Probably - considering there have been only three Estebans (Tuero, Gutierrez, Ocon).
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

tanel wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Is 2016 the first season we've had two drivers named Esteban?

Probably - considering there have been only three Estebans (Tuero, Gutierrez, Ocon).

"And out of the Rascasse comes Ernesto Tuero" ... so Ocon and Gutierrez might be the first Estebans we have in F1.
Bobby Doorknobs

1972 US Grand Prix: Graham Hill finishes 11th in his last race for Brabham
1992 Hungarian Grand Prix: Damon Hill finishes 11th in his last race for Brabham

Yes, I stole that from the F1 Facebook page...
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Holy... that third bullet point :shock:

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Forester

Post by Forester »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Everyone engine make currently competing in F1 has been represented by a constructor of the same name (Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault). When else has this happened?

The first ever World Championship Grand Prix, for a start. Except for Felice Bonetto's Ferrari-Jaguar monster, the V2 engined Cooper, and the two races Scuderia Milano put their own engine into a Maserati, every single entry in the 1950 season even had the same engine and constructor.

There was also 2008, with BMW, Ferrari, Renault, and Toyota each having their own constructors. Again, McLaren provides the only break in the pattern by using Mercedes engines (who owned a 40% stake in the McLaren team at the time).
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

good_Ralf wrote:Holy... that third bullet point :shock:

Senna won Schumacher's first race and Schumacher won Senna's last race.....
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WeirdKerr wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Holy... that third bullet point :shock:

Senna won Schumacher's first race and Schumacher won Senna's last race.....

Raikkonen won Hamilton's last race. Given the dominance of Mercedes, I wouldn't rule out Hamilton winning Raikkonen's last race either. Same could go for Rosberg and Alonso.

Schumacher won Massa's first race, Massa would have won Schumacher's last race had he remained retired after 2006.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

The top-10 finishers in today's Italian GP are also the current top 10 in the World Drivers' Championship standings.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The same 10 drivers scored points in Azerbaijan as well...

But more importantly!
Rob Dylan at the end of last year wrote:Nico Rosberg's winning history:
2006-2011 - no wins
2012 - 1 win
2013 - 2 wins
2014 - 5 wins
2015 - 6 wins

Rosberg wins more races every year, so by that rule he should get at least 7 race wins next year?

No need to be impressed guys, I'm just fantastic :deletraz:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Here's something for people with more free time than me to work out:

Has there ever been a title-winning driver who's won more races in a season where they didn't win the title, compared to when they did?

Only one I can think of is Keke Rosberg (2 wins in 1985), but are there any others?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:Here's something for people with more free time than me to work out:

Has there ever been a title-winning driver who's won more races in a season where they didn't win the title, compared to when they did?

Only one I can think of is Keke Rosberg (2 wins in 1985), but are there any others?

A quick search has revealed:

Niki Lauda - 5 wins in 1976 vs. 3 in 1977
Nelson Piquet - 4 wins in 1986 vs. 3 in all three of his title-winning years
Alain Prost - 7 wins in 1984 & 1988 vs. 5 in 1985 and 4 in 1986 & 1989. Also took 5 wins in 1990, surpassing the latter two again
Michael Schumacher - 7 wins in 2006 vs. 6 in 2003
Kimi Raikkonen - 7 wins in 2005 vs. 6 in 2007

And that, I believe, is it.
#FreeGonzo
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

There are few who share the honors with their championship year. Anyway, I included here drivers whose best season in wins was not championship-winning year (shared honors included)

Hawthorn (shared, 1 win each in -53, -54, -58)
Surtees (shared, 2 wins each in -64, -66)
Hulme (shared, 2 wins each in -67, -68)
Scheckter (shared, 3 wins each in -77, -79)
Lauda (shared, 5 wins each in -75, -76, -84)
Rosberg (2 wins in -85 vs 1 win -82)
Piquet (4 wins in -86 vs 3 wins in -81, -83, -87)
Prost (shared, 7 wins each in -84, -88, -93)
Räikkönen (7 wins in -05 vs 6 wins in -07)
Bobby Doorknobs

List of races where none of the finishers had previously won a world championship race

1950 British Grand Prix (obviously)
1950 Monaco Grand Prix (thank the Mediterranean Sea for that)
1950 Indianapolis 500 (again, obvious)
1951 Indianapolis 500 (tough race to finish)
1952 Swiss Grand Prix (Ascari off in America, Fangio and González apparently not into the whole F2 thing after losing their chances with BRM, Farina losing an apparently easy win to mechanical trouble)
1953 Indianapolis 500
1955 Indianapolis 500 (poor Bill)
1959 Indianapolis 500
1960 Italian Grand Prix (only race since 1950 not to have a single previous winner on the grid thanks to the boycott)
1966 Italian Grand Prix (Baghetti was a non-classified finisher)

List of races (apart from the above) where none of the top three had previously won a world championship race

1952 Indianapolis 500
1955 Monaco Grand Prix (what a crazy race that was)
1956 Indianapolis 500
1957 Indianapolis 500
1958 Indianapolis 500
1961 French Grand Prix
1962 French Grand Prix
1964 Austrian Grand Prix
1971 Italian Grand Prix (everyone in that epic slipstreaming battle could have been a first-time Grand Prix winner)
1974 Swedish Grand Prix
1976 Austrian Grand Prix
1995 Canadian Grand Prix
2006 Hungarian Grand Prix
2007 Canadian Grand Prix
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

A pointless stat, which I suppose could be used to argue which drivers made the most of their title opportunities.

Mike Hawthorn
-- 1 Championship, 3 GP wins -- 3.00
Phil Hill
-- 1 Championship, 3 GP wins -- 3.00
Jack Brabham
-- 3 Championships, 14 GP wins -- 4.67
Juan Manuel Fangio
-- 5 Championships, 24 GP wins -- 4.80
Giuseppe Farina
-- 1 Championship, 5 GP wins -- 5.00
Keke Rosberg
-- 1 Championship, 5 GP wins -- 5.00
Jochen Rindt
-- 1 Championship, 6 GP wins -- 6.00
John Surtees
-- 1 Championship, 6 GP wins -- 6.00
Alberto Ascari
-- 2 Championships, 13 GP wins -- 6.50
Emerson Fittipaldi
-- 2 Championships, 14 wins -- 7.00
Graham Hill
-- 2 Championships, 14 wins -- 7.00
Nelson Piquet
-- 3 Championships, 23 GP wins -- 7.67
Denny Hulme
-- 1 Championship, 8 GP wins -- 8.00
Niki Lauda
-- 3 Championships, 25 GP wins -- 8.33
Jackie Stewart
-- 3 Championships, 27 GP wins -- 9.00
Mika Hakkinen
-- 2 Championships, 20 GP wins -- 10.00
James Hunt
-- 1 Championship, 10 GP wins -- 10.00
Jody Scheckter
-- 1 Championship, 10 GP wins -- 10.00
Sebastian Vettel
-- 4 Championships, 42 wins -- 10.50
Jacques Villeneuve
-- 1 Championship, 11 GP wins -- 11.00
Mario Andretti
-- 1 Championship, 12 GP wins -- 12.00
Alan Jones
-- 1 Championship, 12 GP wins -- 12.00
Jim Clark
-- 2 Championships, 25 GP wins -- 12.50
Alain Prost
-- 4 Championships, 51 GP wins -- 12.75
Michael Schumacher
-- 7 Championships, 91 GP wins -- 13.00
Ayrton Senna
-- 3 Championships, 41 GP wins -- 13.67
Jenson Button
-- 1 Championship, 15 GP wins -- 15.00
Fernando Alonso
-- 2 Championships, 32 GP wins -- 16.00
Lewis Hamilton
-- 3 Championships, 49 GP wins -- 16.33
Kimi Raikkonen
-- 1 Championship, 20 GP wins -- 20.00
Damon Hill
-- 1 Championship, 22 GP wins -- 22.00
Nigel Mansell
-- 1 Championship, 31 GP wins -- 31.00
Stirling Moss
-- 0 Championships, 16 GP wins -- n/a
Nico Rosberg
-- 0 Championships, 21 GP wins -- n/a

For me, it's most interesting to look for the drivers who are anomalous for their era; those that stand out to me are Stirling Moss, Keke Rosberg, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Nico Rosberg.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Aislabie wrote:[b]A pointless stat, which I suppose could be used to argue which drivers made the most of their title opportunities.
[Much statistics]

I'd be interested to see how that would pan out if you did it as a percentage of races won - it'd be much harder to win a championship in a 21 race season with only a handful of victories than in a 9 race season.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.