The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Londoner »

Fuel mileage races are the best thing going. :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Not a bad return to Watkins Glen! Obviously I'm gutted to see Aleshin's tyre shred itself to bits, but it was very, VERY interesting in the latter stages.

Pagenaud's in a very good position going into Wine Country.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

According with usatoday, Power isn't cleared to race yet, due concussion-like symptoms (looks like in the same way of dale jr).

Pagenaud needs a 5th place to secure the title.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/09/04/i ... ill-power/
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dj_bereta wrote:According with usatoday, Power isn't cleared to race yet, due concussion-like symptoms (looks like in the same way of dale jr).

Pagenaud needs a 5th place to secure the title.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/09/04/i ... ill-power/

Power got cleared to drive a few days after that was published.

Bring on Sonoma, I say.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Silly season is getting stronger. Montoya doesn't have a contract for the next season. Newgarden is the potential replacement and the hottest free agent for the next season. Despite the team being happy with Montoya, they don't want to lose a fresh talent. Looks like Ganassi wants Newgarden too and if Penske don't hire him, Ganassi will do it, replacing Kannan (another driver without contract for the next season) with him.

If Montoya loses his seat in Penske, KVSH is a option for him, replacing Bourdais. According with Rumors, the Frenchman will return to Dale Coyne for the next season.

Finally, Kannan could move to AJ Foyt if he loses his seat in Ganassi.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Montoya has a pathological dislike of the mid-field (part of the reason he left McLaren/was sacked me thinks, that and the fact that he just didn't care anymore) as he has told in I don't know how many interviews. When he doesn't have a shot he doesn't want to be in it. I suspect if he can't stay in a Ganassi/Penske, he'll look towards other forms of motorsport for a top drive. WEC could be interesting but his links to that championship are beginning to look old now so I'm not sure how well received he would be by top teams. :roll:
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Power is out of contention already before the half of the race. 8 laps down is virtually impossible to revert.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

So, Pags is champion. What a surprise.

*remembers pre-season expectations*

Wait, that is surprising.
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

IndyCar's worst kept secret is now out in the open. Josef Newgarden will be driving for Penske next season.

Montoya at Ed Carpenter Racing for his swansong next year maybe?

Meanwhile, Hunter-Reay's staying at Andretti until 2020 along with the DHL sponsorship, Menards are expanding their sponsorship of Pagenaud up to 10 races next season, and it looks like Kimball's staying at Ganassi for another season
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

To be frank, I'm surprised to see RHH staying in Andretti for, at least, 2020. he really has a lot of faith in the team.

I remember during the NBC transmission one of the commenters mentioning Tony Kannan said Newgarden was the "key" of the silly season and everything will be settled after his decision.

So, with Newgarden in Penske:

Montoya: could move to Carpenter or KVHS according with the rumors. A return to Ganassi is very unlikely and he could move to another motorsport series as well.

Kannan: With Newgarden moving to Penske, he has better chances of staying in Ganassi now. If he loses his seat, AJ Foyt is an option (probably replacing the Hawksworth after his very poor season).

Bourdais: Strong rumors about him moving to Dale Coyne. Looks like KVHS needs money.

Munoz: Said during the NBC coverage he wants to stay with Andretti team.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Congrats to Simon Pagenaud for winning the 2016 IndyCar drivers championship.

He is probably the only driver to win the prestigious US open-wheel crown who still has yet to win his first race on an oval (not counting Mark Plourde, of course).

That is quite a feat to have achieved, and a surprising one at that.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Ever since he moved to the IndyCar system, Jack Hawksworth has been my "if he succeeds, I'm smart" guy. I am now abandoning him for Nico Jamin. That will be all.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Here's an interesting article about Sam Schmidt getting an autonomous car driving licence.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Two breaking news in this weekend. First, like everyone foresee, Newgarden replaced Montoya at Penske. Second, a big surprise. Ganassi returning with Honda for the next season.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Foyt is going to have a major overhaul in the team, starting with the change to Chevy engines. Both Sato and Hawksworth will lose their seats. Munoz and maybe Montoya are the favorite replacements (the former will lose his seat at Andretti).
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And Montoya on an Indy-only deal with Penske.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

All silly season rumors were true in the end. Now there is a good seat at Ed's team. We could see Daly or Munoz here.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Sato with his sizeable amount of road course experience might be just what this team needs for improving its road / street course program. Here's hoping he can help them sort out those issues and get them back onto the top step of the podium.

Montoya choosing an Indy one-off with Penske over other opportunities in lesser cars makes sense because this is the way to get back into a top team. In case the championship battle is tight with a driver from another team, we might see an additional Penske car for him at the season finale even.
However, my guess is the 2017 IndyCar title will most likely be won by a team Penske driver.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

More pieces of the IndyCar puzzle slot into place. Ed Jones will be racing for Dale Coyne, whilst Conor Daly has landed a full-time drive with Foyt.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

East Londoner wrote:More pieces of the IndyCar puzzle slot into place. Ed Jones will be racing for Dale Coyne, whilst Conor Daly has landed a full-time drive with Foyt.

Here's hoping Conor Daly can improve on the #41's finishing average, the road and street course expert that he is.

A Bourdais/Jones combination is going to be exciting to watch at Coyne's team.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

JR Hildrebrant got the vacant seat in Capenter. Only a few seats renaming and nothing about Munoz getting one.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dj_bereta wrote:JR Hildebrand got the vacant seat in Capenter. Only a few seats renaming and nothing about Munoz getting one.

Well, Larry Foyt has mentioned it before to the media that they want Munoz for the #14. But after Montoya has signed an Indy-only deal with Penske, maybe Munoz is considering following his role model's example and stay with Andretti for an Indy-only ride as well. After all, his goal is to win Indy, and he's been close twice with Andretti, the first time when he was in that team's Indy-only entry on his debut.

Who else do you think is in the running for the #14 at AJ Foyt Enterprises?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Yannick wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:JR Hildebrand got the vacant seat in Capenter. Only a few seats renaming and nothing about Munoz getting one.

Well, Larry Foyt has mentioned it before to the media that they want Munoz for the #14. But after Montoya has signed an Indy-only deal with Penske, maybe Munoz is considering following his role model's example and stay with Andretti for an Indy-only ride as well. After all, his goal is to win Indy, and he's been close twice with Andretti, the first time when he was in that team's Indy-only entry on his debut.

Who else do you think is in the running for the #14 at AJ Foyt Enterprises?

Nobody now; Munoz and Daly are confirmed.

Foyt have played a blinder, getting those two.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

So, the silly season is almost over.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dj_bereta wrote:So, the silly season is almost over.

Yes, indeed. But we still haven't heard anything about what this talented fella :chilton: is going to do next season.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Probably the biggest surprise of the silly season, Servia will return in 2017 with Rahal in at least three races (a deal for the whole season is possible).
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dj_bereta wrote:Probably the biggest surprise of the silly season, Servia will return in 2017 with Rahal in at least three races (a deal for the whole season is possible).

Well, I don't think it is the biggest surprise. That one goes to Dale Coyne Racing having finalized its lineup for the upcoming season well before Christmas. :pantano:
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

It's 2017 already and no words about who is going to replace Bourdais at KV (the only full time race seat left).
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

That's a sad story about KV Racing. Still, it's as if this sad story started when KV Racing ran Sato, Viso and Moraes as their drivers some seasons ago were officially sponsored by Lotus.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Really can't wait for IndyCar to start up again, I miss Paul Tracy putting the smackdown on scrubs.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I have myself a brand new avatar in anticipation for the season opener next weekend. GET HYPED.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Ataxia wrote:I have myself a brand new avatar in anticipation for the season opener next weekend. GET HYPED.

:pantano: What's he doing inside of that basket? :chilton:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Yannick wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I have myself a brand new avatar in anticipation for the season opener next weekend. GET HYPED.

:pantano: What's he doing inside of that basket? :chilton:

It rubs Aleshin on its skin, or else it gets the hose again...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A Dale Coyne victory is the best possible way to start the new season. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Very underwhelming race at St.Pete. It can't be helped by the forced change at turn 3 due a bump which basically killed the overtaking spot at the end of straight into turn 4.

At least Bourdais won the race with a master strategy from Dale Coyne. Sadly Jones dropped in the second half of the race, he was running for a podium finish.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Not the greatest race at Saint Pete but 4 different teams in the first 4 places bodes well on the competition front. One clear talking point is the remarkable progress of Honda in the off season having been largely outclassed in the last 3 seasons. As Londoner joked during the race it seems we have an answer as to why McLaren have had rubbish testing reliability. I personally think it's similar to the Michelin tire gains in F1 2003

Still trying to get used to seeing Scott Dixon race in non Target Red colours while it only took Graham Rahal 3 corners to get involved in accident this season
nome66

Post by nome66 »

One clear talking point is the remarkable progress of Honda in the off season having been largely outclassed in the last 3 seasons. As Londoner joked during the race it seems we have an answer as to why McLaren have had rubbish testing reliability. I personally think it's similar to the Michelin tire gains in F1 2003

the engine development for Honda in IndyCar(also IMSA and PWC) is conducted by Honda Performance Development, a performance upgrades company in California, while the Honda/Mclaren engine program is based in Japan with Honda directly. i fail to see how a connection can be drawn between HPD IndyCars having quick engines between 2013 and now with Mclaren's crap reliability issues since the very beginning of the modern turbo era of Formula One.
sort of how the F1 community sort of saw the Mugen-Hondas as different from the factory supported cars.
I guess you could say "Honda never really left F1 in 1992", but again, was it really that Honda?

anyways, i think our expectations of the factory Honda-Mclarens were far too high. i think they still might be rushing the program too much.

Back to IndyCar!
I think Sebastein Bordais will be a title contender this year. there, i said it. the "wheel of CART/Champcar Stars dominating post-merger IndyCar" has finally started rotating over to him.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I couldn't watch it live but Sebastien Bourdais' win at St. Pete is quite something! Here's hoping Dale Coyne Racing can score well again in the next round at Long Beach.