Donald Trump US President Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

Donald Trump US President Thread

Post by CoopsII »

What the actual fcuk America?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Donald Trump US President Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Feel for my American friends, they're the ones caught in the crossfire.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Trump becoming president is comedy at its finest. He will turn it into a tragicomedy, though...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Assuming he makes it over the wall, F1 NEEDS a Sergio Perez win at Austin next year now.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Oh, to be young again and automatically ignore this result as just "news" going on in the background.
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
andrew

Post by andrew »

It could impact on Esteban Gutierrez. The Mexican Peso was down badly against the dollar, given that Gutirrez has mainly Mexican backers, this could be a major problem in him getting a seat next year.

But however Trump will have to get his more ludicrous policies such AS THE WALL and the Muslim ban past congress which may not happen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

andrew wrote:It could impact on Esteban Gutierrez. The Mexican Peso was down badly against the dollar, given that Gutirrez has mainly Mexican backers, this could be a major problem in him getting a seat next year.

That would be one of the few positives from Trump's presidency. I have nothing against Gutiérrez, but I don't think he deserves another chance in F1. He did a good job in GP3 and GP2 but doesn't seem to quite cut it at the top level. In his two seasons in somewhat competitive cars, he has been outscored 80-6 by his team mates. In 2014, he was surprisingly competitive against Sutil, but ruined Sauber's only chance at points (and 9th in the constructors) with a silly spin in Monaco. He's far from the worst driver F1 has seen, but with the likes of Giovinazzi, Gasly, Rossi, Delétraz etc. on the sidelines, I think he's had his chance.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Altough i don't think many people are intending to defend Donald, still i advice against political threads. Even if the politician in question can hardly be considered a politician (more like a troll that got away with it).

Oh well, Murica yeah!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

This wrote:Altough i don't think many people are intending to defend Donald, still i advice against political threads. Even if the politician in question can hardly be considered a politician (more like a troll that got away with it).

Oh well, Murica yeah!

Going to have to agree with this. It's pretty much the reason Jenoch were hesitant about an off-topic forum back in the day, IIRC. I won't lock the topic, as I don't expect it to go too far off the rails, just don't get too carried away, folks, or I will be forced to take that action. ;)
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Personally I feel like the election was a lose-lose situation for the US, considering that who I believe the only somewhat decent candidates were stood no chance (as in most of the third-parties)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Simtek wrote:I won't lock the topic, as I don't expect it to go too far off the rails, just don't get too carried away, folks, or I will be forced to take that action. ;)

Is that you, Donald?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Looks like we need to turn the Oval Office into a padded cell.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Donald didn't so much win its more like Hillary lost. Trump hit similar numbers to Romney in 2012, Hillary failed to get her vote out. She lost 6 million voters from Obama's tally.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So Donald Trump is announced as US president on 9/11, using the British/European dating system.

Conspiracy theorists, stand up?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Simtek wrote:
This wrote:Altough i don't think many people are intending to defend Donald, still i advice against political threads. Even if the politician in question can hardly be considered a politician (more like a troll that got away with it).

Oh well, Murica yeah!

Going to have to agree with this. It's pretty much the reason Jenoch were hesitant about an off-topic forum back in the day, IIRC. I won't lock the topic, as I don't expect it to go too far off the rails, just don't get too carried away, folks, or I will be forced to take that action. ;)

Yep. As long as you can keep it civil, I'll allow this thread to exist. But if this turns into a heated political debate and/or a complete Trump insulting thread which serves no real purpose, it will be locked.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Oh well, Murica yeah!

Yep. As long as you can keep it civil, I'll allow this thread to exist. But if this turns into a heated political debate and/or a complete Trump insulting thread which serves no real purpose, it will be locked.

Shouldn't be a problem with us, I believe we're all above letting a thread degenerate into something too heated.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:Shouldn't be a problem with us, I believe we're all above letting a thread degenerate into something too heated.

Yeah? Wotevs. <throws papaya>
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

When I saw this thread crop up, I was wondering if this was because of the news that Perez has cut all ties with one of his sponsors - Hawkers MX, the Mexican subsidiary of a US fashion store - made jokes about Mexicans wearing their sunglasses to hide the tears in their eyes as Trump built his wall along the Mexican border.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

mario wrote:When I saw this thread crop up, I was wondering if this was because of the news that Perez has cut all ties with one of his sponsors - Hawkers MX, the Mexican subsidiary of a US fashion store - made jokes about Mexicans wearing their sunglasses to hide the tears in their eyes as Trump built his wall along the Mexican border.

That was indeed a rather short-sighted response to the news by the sunglasses company.

However, I'm entirely not sure this thread belongs on a forum like this because Trump didn't even get to ride the pace car before the Indy 500 some two or three years back, much less being a race car driver.

Regarding the quote about the troll from a few postings above: real life trolling seems to be all the rage for a few years now. I've even met one at one of the bowling meetings I went to with people from another forum I was registered with some 10 years ago. The very next day, he went onto the forum and told everybody and their cat the real names of the users he talked to at the bowling alley and explained in detail how ugly we all were. Needless to say he was banned again from the forum. It's hard to understand that he always kept coming back for more.

I wouldn't call the presidential elect a troll but being a shoe spammer helps when you've still got a long way to go on the campaign trail (for anyone who remembers the original shoe spammer thread from the predecessor of this forum).
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Yannick wrote:However, I'm entirely not sure this thread belongs on a forum like this because Trump didn't even get to ride the pace car before the Indy 500 some two or three years back, much less being a race car driver.

Then again, footballers, cricketers or Olympic athletes usually aren't related to motor racing either (with a few exceptions), but all of those threads are popular and well-accepted.

I acknowledge that people might need to vent a bit after this highly... unusual election result, so as long as all commentary on the matter stays in this thread and things are kept civil, I see no reason why to not allow this. Give it a week or two and most people have calmed down, causing this thread to drop off the radar and be eternally forgotten.

At least until November 2020.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Nuppiz wrote:At least until November 2020.

Yep, when Kanye will be President.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AustralianStig wrote:

Not if Ron Perlman has anything to say about it.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Crikey, there appears to be as many posts debating the merit of the thread and whether or not it should be permitted as there are about the actual subject matter despite the phrase "and all other randomness" being part of the forums description.

Democracy, it's a funny old thing.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:.

Yeah, if only it were funny! ;) :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:.

Yeah, if only it were funny! ;) :lol:

Still better than 'chinese democracy' ? (the album)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

AustralianStig wrote:

I want a presidential race between Kanye and Taylor Swift, that would be awesome
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm just going to leave my username to do all the talking for me....

You know what the most depressing thing about this election was? Not even the result. Just that there was no Jon Stewart covering it!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think there could be hope. It appears Mr Trump is already U-turning like U-turning thing that has just discovered U-turning for the very first time. First I noted he stated he wanted to be a President for all Americans, I just hope his definition of 'American' is the same as most peoples. Also, and more significantly, he is now rowing back on his damnation of 'Obamacare' as he has stated he likes several aspects of it. I can see more U-turns on the way and the despicable man he portrayed himself as to grab the spotlight one can hope may actually not be full Donald J Trump in reality. May not.

But I worry that this election will light a touchpaper on hate crimes on both side of the Atlantic.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:I think there could be hope. It appears Mr Trump is already U-turning like U-turning thing that has just discovered U-turning for the very first time. First I noted he stated he wanted to be a President for all Americans, I just hope his definition of 'American' is the same as most peoples. Also, and more significantly, he is now rowing back on his damnation of 'Obamacare' as he has stated he likes several aspects of it. I can see more U-turns on the way and the despicable man he portrayed himself as to grab the spotlight one can hope may actually not be full Donald J Trump in reality. May not.

I think Donald Trump is going to be facing a war with himself. There is the regular part of him, the one that is actually somewhat liberal in his policy leanings when there isn't much focus on what he thinks (i.e. before the political career started). One that is pro-life, pro-social security...at one point, even after he started running for office, he was accepting of Syrian refugees, for example. Then there is the other half of him, the one that wants to be adored by alpha white males around the world, the one who will say and do anything to receive their praise.

I have believed since the first day he announced his candidacy, that not a since thing he has said is sincere. He is extremely volatile with his positions on any and every issue, equally capable of making a brilliant or awful decision entirely on a whim. My worry is if in his attempts to become more 'presidential', he becomes more deferential in his decisions to those Republicans who still wish to work for him, as those are the ones capable of making and carrying out some truly destructive decisions. Giuliani, Huckabee, McConnell & co are the ones who are poised to ruin everything. I think deep down he has no qualms with Roe v. Wade, but his remaining GOP allies want it repealed.

Image Image
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

It happened
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:It happened

And the American Civil Liberties Union has already submitted a request for financial transaction records given that Trump, through his business interests, may already be breaking the law (through breaching the Emoluments Act, an act with forbids the President from receiving financial benefits from foreign governments or corporations). He's only just taken up the position and already it looks like there is the possibility that we could see him facing criminal charges that would result in him being stripped of his office.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

mario wrote:

And the American Civil Liberties Union has already submitted a request for financial transaction records given that Trump, through his business interests, may already be breaking the law (through breaching the Emoluments Act, an act with forbids the President from receiving financial benefits from foreign governments or corporations). He's only just taken up the position and already it looks like there is the possibility that we could see him facing criminal charges that would result in him being stripped of his office.

We already knew about how many basically-done criminal charges he had well before the voting started, I doubt anything will happen. And even if it did, whether his replacement would be any better is its own question....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This thread is just FAKE NEWS! President Trump is already the most successful and popular president there has ever been. That is an alternative fact. You're all just haters! Sad!
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The phrase 'alternative facts' sent a shiver down my spine.

One outlier lunatic I can handle. One with an entire army of submissive minions peddling his nonsense worries me. Sean Spicer wouldn't even be employable at a 7Eleven. :facepalm:

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
mario wrote:

We already knew about how many basically-done criminal charges he had well before the voting started, I doubt anything will happen. And even if it did, whether his replacement would be any better is its own question....

Mike Pence would be an even worse option, at least when considering certain social issues and minorities. He's basically a hardline bible-basher conservative.