2016 Abbadabby Grand Prix - The Marina Melee

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TheFlyingCaterham

Re: 2016 Abbadabby Grand Prix - The Marina Melee

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I think it's Rosberg's championships to lose, since all he needs to do is get home in a podium position, something we know Rosberg can easily do. So unless something out of the ordinary happens or Rosberg is just slow, then it'll be his championship.

Feels weird, because this would be near-guarranteed Hamilton championship had it not gone up in smoke at Malaysia.

Waris wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I hope he has a good one, not a Coutlhard-in-Brazil-2008. I shall miss him - he's been in F1 for half my lifetime!

And for more than half my lifetime!

All of my lifetime, beat that ;)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
Waris wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I hope he has a good one, not a Coutlhard-in-Brazil-2008. I shall miss him - he's been in F1 for half my lifetime!

And for more than half my lifetime!

All of my lifetime, beat that ;)

Stop making me feel so old!
mario

Post by mario »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I think it's Rosberg's championships to lose, since all he needs to do is get home in a podium position, something we know Rosberg can easily do. So unless something out of the ordinary happens or Rosberg is just slow, then it'll be his championship.

Feels weird, because this would be near-guarranteed Hamilton championship had it not gone up in smoke at Malaysia.

I agree that it is Rosberg's title to lose, since the only possibility for Hamilton to win is if something happens to Rosberg to prevent him from securing a podium finish - something that you would assume he should be able to do under normal circumstances given the inherent performance advantage of his car.

Equally, that inherent performance advantage is one reason why I think that Rosberg might well not choke at the finish in this race. He can afford to take it a little easier, and I suspect that he probably will do so in part because of the possibility of a mechanical failure - he could yet fall afoul of the issues that hit Hamilton earlier in the season, and that seems to me to be one of the few ways that Rosberg could fail to win the title.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm particularly looking forward to this race as it's the first time this year that 1pm (UK time) race start has coincided with the one Sunday a month when I can usually finish work at 12.30 rather than 1. So I'm home in time to watch it all live, rather than on delay!

Come on Rosberg!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Bugger. Gutted for Button that he didn't get to see the end.

I'm with Brundle - patch it up and send him back out for the end!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Phew!

Blimey! That was tense!

I wanted Rosberg to take the title, but I can't help but admire Hamilton did his best to dictate a rate that was out of his hands, backing Rosberg into Vettel and Verstappen. But the right result in the end, I think.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Well, that was a weird race. Who was the better performer in Abu Dhabi? Who truly deserves the championship? We have no idea.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
andrew

Post by andrew »

NICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

*small voice*

Max Verstappen for Driver of the Day?
IceG

Post by IceG »

IceG wrote:
I am sure I will be proven massively wrong in 24 hours.

I was correct
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Well, wasn't expecting that at the end of last season. I thought after 2014, the driver who lost the title battle would be destined to be the number two driver until the pairing inevitably dissolves.

However, Nico did prove me wrong after proving me right in 2015. Took his chances when they were there and then focused on getting it done in the final races, sensibly doing what was asked and no more. Congratulations are in order.

Now, I am going to eat a bit of humble pie. Who wants to join me?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Klon wrote:Now, I am going to eat a bit of humble pie. Who wants to join me?

No thanks. I'm diabetic... ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I'm pleased for Nico that he won, especially since Lewis used what I shall refer to as 'Plato tactics'. He did what he needed to do today.

I'll really miss Felipe and Jenson, two real gentlemen.

Since I'm now bored with F1 in general I definitely won't bother with Sky next year - I won't miss their awful, biased coverage at all. I'll cope with C4, so long as I'm close to the 'Mute' button when Jordan appears.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Klon wrote:Now, I am going to eat a bit of humble pie. Who wants to join me?

Me, although I'd rather be eating the chicken steaks I've just cooked for myself. Around Russia/USA last year, which I consider to be the low-point of Rosberg's 2015 (and probably the low-point of his whole career IMO), I said something along the lines of 'roll on 2017', believing that Hamilton would have absolutely no difficulties winning again this year. I'm so happy to be proven wrong, since Nico is a deserving champ.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

That was tense.
Lewis' attempt at the motor racing equivalent of a professional foul failed to stop Nico winning ( albeit on the away goals rule) ...I'll stop the analogy now.

Anyway - very tense. Max does make a habit of hitting things at the start though...and then finding a one-stop was a great idea!

I enjoyed it. And to be honest am not at all convinced 2017 will go down the last race for a title decider. I am a little concerned we'll get Red Bull replacing Mercedes at the front..and Max will comfortably prevail over Daniel. But I'll still follow it all
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I thought it was smart of Lewis. Increase your chance of winning the title. Vettel could have made a move and could have been a racing incident. Nico loses a wing, has to pit and bingo bango championship Lewis. It didn't work out but hey worth a shot.
razta

Post by razta »

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Aguaman wrote:I thought it was smart of Lewis. Increase your chance of winning the title. Vettel could have made a move and could have been a racing incident. Nico loses a wing, has to pit and bingo bango championship Lewis. It didn't work out but hey worth a shot.

I think that people are assuming that just because it was Lewis, Hamilton was holding up Rosberg hoping there would be a crash. Sure, that's part of it but Rosberg being overtaken was an option too!

Backing up the pack to make the driver behind vulnerable if something we used to see all the time in the late 90s (Irvine in particular being given this role), albeit between teams rather than intra-team.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy