2017 Chinese Grand Prix - IIDOTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 Chinese Grand Prix - IIDOTR

Post by Ataxia »

You know the drill! Feel free to select your nominees for the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race, based on the most surprisingly good performances from any driver/team/thing across the weekend. As the old copypasta states...

...based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for Ericsson's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Remember, your first choice receives 10 points and your second choice receives 6 points, helping determine the forum's ultimate IIDOTR. Vote now!

1. Magnussen - Went from zero to hero, and did in two races what Gutierrez failed to do in 20 for Haas.
2. Verstappen - Even though it's not exactly unexpected, it was what I'm gonna call a Sega performance...it was a mega drive.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - IIDOTR

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Magnussen - Recovers from his miserable Australia race in the best possible way :)
2) Sainz - At one point, he effectively had an outside chance of a podium
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Kevin Magnussen: Just what he needed after the disaster two weeks ago.
2. Max Verstappen: He has already had so many impressive recovery drives that I wasn't even sure if he's eligible anymore. Beating Ricciardo (and a couple of other frontrunners) after starting so far behind is surprising, though, which gets him the nomination.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ Max Verstappen - When I woke up this morning he was running in second place. This confused me.
2/ Carlos Sainz - Starting on dry tyres on a wet track and making it work just goes to prove yet again that he should be driving for a big team.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Fernando Alonso: You got to give credit to a man that can haul that pice of crap called McLaren Honda into heights that it doesn't deserve.

2)Max Verstappen: Once again, Mad Max shows the way an F1 car should be driven.

The Clash of the Titans Award goes to Seb Vettel: Side by side, touching wheels, but full respect with Ricciardo. This is the F1 that we were waiting.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Ocon - did good I guess?
2. n/a
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

1. Fernando Alonso
We know he's a good driver, but, running sixth at one point, and then retiring from what was still a points position in that awful excuse for a car...he still amazes me sometimes.

2. Carlos Sainz
He made that brave gamble to start on supersofts, and it worked. What surprised me further still is how he was actually catching the leaders at one point while on said set of tyres.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Magnussen; improved exponentially from Melbourne, and scored points when his teammate didn't; essentially, he made a concerted effort to improve.
2. Sainz; worked around an iffy strategy on tyres ill-suited to damp conditions to a points finish

HM:
Overtaking; there was loads of it, surprisingly
Alonso: in the points until the McHonda self-destructed
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Alonso
2. Sainz
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Like everyone else, for the same reasons as everyone else

1. Magnussen
2. Verstappen

A close joint 3rd: Sainz and Alonso
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Tough to pick really but yes I've got to go wit

1. Sainz
2. Verstappen

That first lap from Verstappen was just insane how quickly he went through the field and Sainz to get points after his early spin and clouting the wall was phenomenonal.

HM to Alonso for driving the wheels off it, Magnussen for reminding us that he is a good driver and the field in general for giving us what Brundle called "organic" overtakes. They were fun to watch.
RedEyes504

Post by RedEyes504 »

[b]Carlos Sainz[/b] - had the balls to start on slicks and drove a great race to back up his decision.

Kevin Magnussen - A good race, much needed after Australia
Alexander Wurz is timeless and endless and eternal.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

KMag--Wasn't this guy a shoe-in for ROTR at Melbourne?? And then he starts overtaking everyone in sight this weekend? What??

Carlos Sauna Jr.-- Dude. Before Gio's crash, he looked like a podium finisher. And even then, he KEPT PACE with the front runners in that Toro Rossi. This guy deserves a drive in upcoming seasons.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Magnussen - When reading about him on here I've often thought he was living off three year old hype but his race yesterday was superb. More please.
2 - Alonso - McLaren should throw everything they have at keeping him. Money, women, class A drugs, first edition Marvel comics, whatever it takes. They should let him have Jenson Button as his naked gardener if he demanded it
Just For One Day...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1 - Carlos Sainz Jr: As so often, best of the rest. This guy should get a seat in a top team.
2 - Max Verstappen: Say what you want, his first lap was gorgeous.

HM to Fernando Alonso and K-Mag.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

1. Sainz - Should clearly have gotten the Renault seat instead of Hülkenberg. Consistent and mistake free now in two races.

2. Verstappen - Strong drive. Really nice overtakes.

HM - Magnussen.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

If I'm counting right, there's currently a tie at the top:

Kevin Magnussen - 76
Carlos Sainz - 76
Max Verstappen - 56
Fernando Alonso - 36
Esteban Ocon - 10
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

You're right, it is indeed a tie. So, to be kind, I'll give whoever predicted either of Magnussen and Sainz the points for their guess.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!