Virgin fuel tank not big enough

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
homerbhoy

Virgin fuel tank not big enough

Post by homerbhoy »

I heard from someone that the virgin fuel tank is not big enough to finish the gp. Hope this ain't true
coops

Re: Virgin fuel tank not big enough

Post by coops »

I'll be annoyed if the Virgin doesnt go the distance.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Maybe some HRT could help
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

It's a shame Bahrain is so flat. If it was a steeper track, they could turn off their engines on the downhills.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

homerbhoy wrote:I heard from someone that the virgin fuel tank is not big enough to finish the gp. Hope this ain't true

Now, that would be a monumental cock-up (and one we've seen before, by the way). I really hope that's not true, would love to see the Virgin going all the way.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
K-RON

Post by K-RON »

CarlosFerreira wrote: would love to see the Virgin going all the way.

:lol:
coops

Post by coops »

As amusing as it is surely that cant be true can it? Car designed by Homer Simpson? ("Hmm, fuel tank size, maybe that should be....bigger.....Hey! That guys got donuts!!" <runs off>).
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:As amusing as it is surely that cant be true can it? Car designed by Homer Simpson? ("Hmm, fuel tank size, maybe that should be....bigger.....Hey! That guys got donuts!!" <runs off>).

There are precedents, as documented in our very own F1Rejects:

eytl wrote:Further modifications were called for, and a second prototype was thus produced, although its bulky appearance were no match for the smoother lines of the original. It was also longer than the original, having to accommodate a larger fuel tank since the previous tank was so small the car could never hope to complete a race distance.

Granted, that was a prototype...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
coops wrote:As amusing as it is surely that cant be true can it? Car designed by Homer Simpson? ("Hmm, fuel tank size, maybe that should be....bigger.....Hey! That guys got donuts!!" <runs off>).

eytl wrote:Further modifications were called for, and a second prototype was thus produced, although its bulky appearance were no match for the smoother lines of the original. It was also longer than the original, having to accommodate a larger fuel tank since the previous tank was so small the car could never hope to complete a race distance.

True, there might have been one team which was foolish enough to build a car with too small a fuel tank in the past, and the teams will be pushing their cars to the limit this year to avoid having to carry extra dead weight. But it seems like such a fundamental mistake to make that it almost sounds a bit too far fetched to be true. I mean, yes, it is a new team, so they will inevitably make a few mistakes along the way - but given all the data from Cosworth, they can't have got it so wrong, could they?
And if the car can't make it the full distance at Bahrein - which I don't think is the longest race distance in total, and not the one with the highest fuel consumption either - then they are in real trouble at somewhere like Monza or Singapore, where the race is either faster (i.e. more full throttle) or longer total race distance.
Homerbhoy, where did you hear this rumour? I'm very surprised, and therefore curious to see where this rumour has come from, because for all we know, this could be the Internet equivalent of overhearing somebody else in the pub going "Apparently, right..." - and have as much veracity.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

If this is true then it's one of the most astute design decisions in years...
1. They will break down with hydraulic problems well before the end of most races, so why carry all that extra weight?
2. They will never do a full race distance as they will always be 4-5 laps behind the leaders
3. Their best chance of a result will be in poor conditions and in the rain fuel consumption is much reduced...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

mario wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

True, there might have been one team which was foolish enough to build a car with too small a fuel tank in the past, and the teams will be pushing their cars to the limit this year to avoid having to carry extra dead weight. But it seems like such a fundamental mistake to make that it almost sounds a bit too far fetched to be true. I mean, yes, it is a new team, so they will inevitably make a few mistakes along the way - but given all the data from Cosworth, they can't have got it so wrong, could they?
And if the car can't make it the full distance at Bahrein - which I don't think is the longest race distance in total, and not the one with the highest fuel consumption either - then they are in real trouble at somewhere like Monza or Singapore, where the race is either faster (i.e. more full throttle) or longer total race distance.
Homerbhoy, where did you hear this rumour? I'm very surprised, and therefore curious to see where this rumour has come from, because for all we know, this could be the Internet equivalent of overhearing somebody else in the pub going "Apparently, right..." - and have as much veracity.

It was on twitter via F1 badger who resent it from sutton images, wellknown F1 photographer. not massive source i know but one to look out for
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

It does me think of the mclaren 88 (?) where alan prost pushed his car over the finish line also because of a leck of room in the fuel tank.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

Same as all Virgins; she'll need a few tries before they can fit a bigger one in.......

........I'll get my coat.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

This is unfortunate news. Hope the Virgin GP fuel tank proves to be enough when the racing gets going.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Hey, don't hold it against them, it's their first time :lol:
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Looking forward to half-tank glory runs from Virgin in every race this year, a la Derek Warwick and Toleman at the 1982 British Grand Prix. The car's actually bulletproof; the "hydraulic problems" are just a ruse so that retiring in every race will seem plausible. :lol:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Undoubtedly one of the most ashaming mistakes a team can make while designing the car. We'll see what they'll do in Bahrain. If it comes true, we may see them missing a race or two to sort the problem.
Alianora La Canta

I wouldn't have thought missing a race was likely; there are only four approved fuel tank suppliers and the only changes Wirth Research need to make are the ones that generate new space for the tank to occupy. That shouldn't take too long... ...though logistics may prevent the B-spec Virgin being used until China or possibly Spain.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Come on!

We can't believe this. It would be the most stupid lack of perspective in history of motorsport ever. Life F1 wouldn't have fall into this mistake! Who designed that car if it's true? A hair-stylist?

Besides, even if they calculated the design without knowing the Cosworth unit consumption (because they didn't have it at the time), they must have done it taking as reference other engines. And the Cosworth it's supposed to have a better ratio in this department than the already stablished engines average.

If the problem was the CFD, then by Lord's sake, Which OS are they using? DOS 6.2?

Headline: "Virgin not so wet after all" (?)
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
mario

Post by mario »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:Come on!

We can't believe this. It would be the most stupid lack of perspective in history of motorsport ever. Life F1 wouldn't have fall into this mistake! Who designed that car if it's true? A hair-stylist?

Besides, even if they calculated the design without knowing the Cosworth unit consumption (because they didn't have it at the time), they must have done it taking as reference other engines. And the Cosworth it's supposed to have a better ratio in this department than the already stablished engines average.

If the problem was the CFD, then by Lord's sake, Which OS are they using? DOS 6.2?

Headline: "Virgin not so wet after all" (?)

I think that for the moment I will share your scepticism until some hard proof turns up - in other words, when they actually run out of fuel, then I will believe the reports (no offence homerbhoy, but until I see confirmation from elsewhere, I don't want to rush in and accept that report as definitive proof).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
B Leinders

Post by B Leinders »

coops wrote:I'll be annoyed if the Virgin doesnt go the distance.

Just think of the possible headlines.

'Virgin not going all the way'
'Virgin unable to keep going untill the end'
'Virgin forced to go at low pace'

(sigh)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I don't believe it. The rumour that is.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Virgin swallows more than expected
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I have these exact same suspicions about the Renault fuel tank, honestly...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Perhaps these suspicions are true for more than just these two teams and we will have a finish like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDt9Dc2X5hc
(which is also, clearly, GP2's most rejectworty moment so far). Except for Senna and Petrov being in front.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I wouldn't be that surprised if this did happen, things like this have happened before. In 1997 Williams didn't have enough space for large brake discs at the first race, meaning they had to use smaller ones, go on the inferior two-stop strategy to help brake wear and still ended up with Frentzen having brake failure. And that was Williams...nonetheless if this does happen it will be extremely embarassing, the F1 equivalent of having someone pull your pants down in the middle of Piccadilly Circus.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

P_Friesacher wrote:Virgin swallows more than expected

...and just when we expected no record could be broken... : P_Friesacher!!!"

:lol:
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
thalion

Post by thalion »

Maybe they know that they won't go the all the way the first few races and have designed the Virgin's fuel tank to expand with continued use? Either that or they expect lots of safety car periods.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

homerbhoy wrote:I heard from someone that the virgin fuel tank is not big enough to finish the gp. Hope this ain't true

That's just a rumour, probably born ou of the fact that Virgin never really got a full race-distance of running during testing. It's like the rumour HRT didn't have their cars in Barain since their garage doors were closed.

The teams are not stupid. They'll know how much fuel they need, and they'll have a tank big enough to accomodate it.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

Nah, can't be! Panic not all. Although he it would be jolly amusing.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Well, I suppose they could turn their engines down, short shift etc to reduce fuel comsumption, but that would make them slower than the safety car. (Of course, Hispania are already slower than the safety car so thaty's nothing new).
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Perhaps they'll spin it like...it's not that our tank isn't big enough so much as this track isn't small enough for our wicked car
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

noisebox wrote:so why carry all that extra weight?

That's why it's still a Virgin. :lol:

I'm just wondering how long we can keep the Virgin puns going.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

redbulljack14 wrote:
noisebox wrote:so why carry all that extra weight?

That's why it's still a Virgin. :lol:

I'm just wondering how long we can keep the Virgin puns going.

Until we get slapped with a harassment charge.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

redbulljack14 wrote:I'm just wondering how long we can keep the Virgin puns going.

Until the team is renamed "Awkward First Time Racing"?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

P_Friesacher wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:I'm just wondering how long we can keep the Virgin puns going.

Until the team is renamed "Awkward First Time Racing"?

Inevitably disappointing debut motorsports?
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

Is the car too small??? Virgin are in a bit of trouble atm
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Undoubtedly, that Virgin has no balance at all. Very unconsistent, you have to keep correcting all the time...
Alianora La Canta

The fuel tank could still be too small for all we know, because the hydraulics don't last as long as the fuel :(
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Virgin pun jokes... simply awesome. :lol:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net