2017 British Grand Prix - IIDOTR Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 British Grand Prix - IIDOTR Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Owen Wilson was in attendance at the British Grand Prix. But who made YOU go "woooooow"? Or, at least, "huh, he did alright".

1. Hulkenberg
2. Ricciardo
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - IIDOTR Thread

Post by watka »

1. Hulkenberg - Renault made some steps forward this weekend but he was comfortably ahead of the Force Indias which I thought would do well at Silverstone.

2. Bottas - drove through the field in the same way we would expect/demand Hamilton to. Definitely done enough for the seat next year.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Hulkenberg
2. Ricciardo

HM: Bottas
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Hulkenberg: Held on to sixth place from fifth on the grid in a sick Renault, and that's with relatively little attrition.
2. Ricciardo: Made up fifteen places from the back of the grid entirely cleanly (not to mention using a Renault engine on a power circuit), apart from being forced into the gravel early on.
HM:
Bottas: would have posed a legitimate challenge to Hamilton had he started any higher.
Vandoorne: looked a lot faster this weekend
Palmer: I guess eleventh on the grid's OK compared to his usual performance
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Bottas (1) and Ricciardo (2) for their recovery drives.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Vandoorne: Outpaced Alonso and almost got a point. His best race so far.

2 - Hulkenberg: A rock solid race and give to me more hopes to win the avatar bet.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Owen Wilson

2. Stoff
#FreeGonzo
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Nico Hülkenberg: Best of the rest, impressive pace throughout the weekend.
2. Stoffel Vandoorne: Outqualified Alonso for the first time and had a good race, too bad he just missed out on points.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ten points to Nico Hülkenberg for going from zero in Baku to... if not quite a hero (he would have been if he could hold off Daniel Ricciardo), then at least dragging that Renault to a position I still think it should be in regularly.

Six points go to Pierre Gasly, who will be giving Daniil Kvyat some sleepless nights if anyone in the Toro Rosso hierarchy was watching the second Formula E race in the West Brooklyn Desert. Yes, yes, I know, that's Sébastien Buemi's car and it's better than the rest, but a fair few drivers have turned up in Formula E thinking it'd be easy and fallen flat on their faces, finding that it's no Private Paradise for a Jacques of all trades.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dinizintheoven wrote:Six points go to Pierre Gasly, who will be giving Daniil Kvyat some sleepless nights if anyone in the Toro Rosso hierarchy was watching the second Formula E race in the West Brooklyn Desert. Yes, yes, I know, that's Sébastien Buemi's car and it's better than the rest, but a fair few drivers have turned up in Formula E thinking it'd be easy and fallen flat on their faces, finding that it's no Private Paradise for a Jacques of all trades.

You could say the same for former Red Bull protege Alex Lynn too.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

10 points - Fernando Alonso
Q1, P1.

6 points - Nico Hulkenberg
Pretty much faultless all weekend.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

watka wrote:You could say the same for former Red Bull protege Alex Lynn too.

I could, although it's a lot less likely that Helmut Marko will be on the phone offering him a drive. Still, I wouldn't bet against him getting a full-time job in Formula E for the fourth season.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Nico Hülkenberg took that Renault to a really nice position all weekend long, and it's good to see the man on top form.

Stoffel Vandoorne also had a good weekend, consistently ahead of Alonso and running in the points on merit for much of the race.

HM: David Saelens came by the RTBF commentary box alongside Gaëtan Vigneron and was surprisingly decent and opinionated.

Daniel Ricciardo had a great drive through the pack, but a couple of mistakes take him out of the top two.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1st Hulkenberg: Very good result and took advantage of a poor weekend for Williams.

2nd Vandoorne: Solid drive and on another day would've been rewarded with points.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Ocon; finally finished ahead of his teammate
2. Vandoorne; finally... outperformed in some way his teammate
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Alonso - For P1 in Q1 and the manner in which he achieved it and when it was an utter waste of time due to the pending penalties.
2 - Palmer - P11. A good result.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. The Hulk - best non Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull by a MILE.

2. Ricciardo I guess for a stunning comeback drive, even if his finishing position was about where you would expect, I can't really think of anyone else to vote for!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

1. Vandoorne - Q3, outqualifies Alonso and almost gets points.
2. Hülkenberg - Very good rebound after very poor Austria.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Hülkenberg - Best of the rest.
2. Vandoorne - Solid midfield race.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:1 - Alonso - For P1 in Q1 and the manner in which he achieved it and when it was an utter waste of time due to the pending penalties.
2 - Palmer - P11. A good result.

At least the crowd seemed to enjoy Alonso's efforts given the roar of approval he got when they saw he was P1 for that brief moment.

Still, I think that I'll go with the consensus of Hulkenberg and Vandoorne in that order - Hulkenberg did manage to take full advantage of the situation (a bit of a lonely race, but a solid one nevertheless), whilst Vandoorne did deserve more from that weekend given the solid performance that he put in (and finally being on a closer level to Alonso will hopefully boost his confidence a bit).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And the results are in!

1 Nico Hulkenberg 128
2 Stoffel Vandoorne 62

3 Daniel Ricciardo 30
4 Fernando Alonso 20
5 Valtteri Bottas 16
6 Esteban Ocon 10
- Owen Wilson 10
8 Pierre Gasly 6
- Jolyon Palmer 6

Nico Hulkenberg takes the win with his impressive drive to 6th. A rather quiet drive, but to get such a solid position on merit in this year's Renault can only be complimented. Stoffel Vandoorne came runner-up with another solid performance, doing well against his highly-rated teammate and almost bringing home a point in another not-very-good car. So the two top nominations are for mostly the same reasons!

On a more serious note, Owen Wilson receives 10 points to match his 10 ROTR points, meaning that the world is once again in balance.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!