Closed cockpit tests will be carried out

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Closed cockpit tests will be carried out

Post by watka »

I know the halo is being introduced as a result of the Jules Bianchi tragedy, but will it really do anything to avoid something like Massa's incident with the spring in Hungary?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:I know the halo is being introduced as a result of the Jules Bianchi tragedy, but will it really do anything to avoid something like Massa's incident with the spring in Hungary?

I wouldn't have thought so. In fact, if it had caught it right it could've even put the spring into some sort of spin as it approached the drivers head.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I was wrong. I'm already sick of the anti-halo comments.

"It's ugly": Yeah, I'd like the cars to sound better too. And I hate the car numbers. Compared to safety, who cares?
"F1 has always been this way": It's always always been this way. Which year do you want to go back to and never change from?
"Visibility is reduced": I doubt the central pillar will ever block anything you absolutely need to see. Sports cars are far worse and everyone gets on.
"It's safer": The danger has never been part of the appeal for me. The drivers aren't more heroic for exposing themselves to a danger that can easily be removed and thus isn't inherent to driving. And no one (I hope) ever thinks "I haven't seen someone die in a while, it's kind of making things less intense".
"It takes longer to get out of the car": Alonso's accident in Australia doesn't count, he didn't need to get out in a short time. Anyway, this is the only one that's reasonable and makes Halo For 2018 look a bit rushed. If only anyone was using it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

With Formula One's introduction of the Halo Cockpit for next season, will this Fictional 2022 Car become a true F1 car in the same year in the future?

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gonzalez wrote:With Formula One's introduction of the Halo Cockpit for next season, will this Fictional 2022 Car become a true F1 car in the same year in the future?

I can see a bit of inspiration from the 1976 Tyrrell P34 in that!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
watka wrote:I know the halo is being introduced as a result of the Jules Bianchi tragedy, but will it really do anything to avoid something like Massa's incident with the spring in Hungary?

I wouldn't have thought so. In fact, if it had caught it right it could've even put the spring into some sort of spin as it approached the drivers head.

It's hard to say what might have happened - in that same scenario, clipping the Halo would potentially have slowed the spring down and resulted in it striking Massa with less force, so it might have caused different injuries.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"