Hispania Racing Team (former Campos) News

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Phoenix

Re: Hispania Racing Team (former Campos) News

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I have fresh news about Hispania, thanks to the almighty Whole Spanish Press.

Apparently Hispania mechanics were unable to start Senna's car today. When they managed to do it, after some tries, it only lasted some seconds. Even better...
Bruno Senna, mumbling wrote:I think they installed the hydraulic system the other way around. I don't know, that kind of mistakes...

Chandhok, on the other hand, was more philosophical...
Both drivers applauded when the car finally started.

That may explain why Hispania's garage in Sakhir's circuit was closed...

Where are you getting his rubbish from? First of all, you can't install the hydraulic system backwards. Because it doesn't fit backwards. Secondly, Hispania passed scruitineering, which would have found a glaring mistake like that. And thirdly, when a car is fird up for the first time, they don't leave it running. They only run it for a few seconds.

Your suppositions are bsed on the fact that Hispania had their doors closed and nothing else.

I randomly found a link to the article-it may be stupid, but I'm not a genius in mechanic questions, so I couldn't decipher if that was irrelevant (my bad).
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

Terrible start for Chandhok...he, and HRT really needed to get as many laps as possible in. How on earth can Chandhok be expected to just qualify tomorrow?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Yesterday, James Allen was talking about the possible re-introduction of the 107% rule.

Bahrain latest: Prost becomes a steward and 107% rule could return,

Posted on | March 11, 2010 | by James AllengravatarcloseAuthor: James Allen Name: James Allen
Email: [email protected]
Site: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com
About: James Allen became ITV Sport’s lead commentator on Formula 1 in October 2001, having deputised for Murray Walker at six races during the 2000 and 2001 seasons. During James’ tenure as commentator, ITV’s race coverage won three consecutive BAFTA awards and the Royal Television Society’s Sports Programme of the Year award. In 2008 James and Martin Brundle were presented with an Autosport Award for their dramatic coverage of the final laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix, ITV’s last F1 race. The BAFTA judges also indicated that the commentary on the final laps had been the decisive factor in swinging the BAFTA ITV-F1’s way.See Authors Posts (410) | 65 Comments

It’s been a busy day at Bahrain, albeit totally lacking in tension. The drivers and teams all seem very calm ahead of the new season. The new teams are understandably a little more edgy, but generally I am amazed how calm everyone is.

That doesn’t mean that there hasn’t been a lot going on. Alain Prost is to act as a steward this weekend, alongside three of the more traditional steward types, in order to add credibility to penalties handed out to drivers.

Also the World Motor Sport Council has today been discussing the 107% rule and decided to look into reintroducing it, in order to weed out cars which are far too slow in qualifying. Basically any car which did not qualify within 107% of the pole sitter, will not be allowed to start the race. On a track like Barcelona this would mean that if the pole was a 1m 19s lap, cars would have to lap faster than 1m24.3s. We will find out on Saturday how far off the pace the new teams are and how pressing this issue may become.

I understand that the 107 % rule has a lot of support within the FIA. For it to happen this year all the teams would have to agree to it, which the new teams are unlikely to do. For it to happen next year they would need 70% of the teams to agree, which is possible.

I have a feeling the FIA could press on with it soon, on safety grounds or something, if the performance if the new teams does not improve quick. Or maybe not, since does so would expose the new team selection process for the shambles it was.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

For reference, 107% of Rosberg's 1:55.4 would be a 2:03.5 - and even di Grassi was a over a second below that.

Assuming comparable fuel loads, Lotus and Virgin could remain exactly where they are relative to the top guys and it wouldn't come into effect for them. It'll keep HRT out of the races while they'e still learning the car, but not much more - unless you trim to nearer 105%.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I doubt it will be introduced, seeing as it is first-off unlikely that the FIA want to expose its own "mistakes" (which I don't see, if you only look at pace, I mean Lola would've been somewhere around Lotus' pace, Epsilon Eukadi [sp?] would've been at Virgin's pace and Prodrive would've as much track time as USF1), and secondly it's unlikely that there will be enough teams to agree on the rule change. In 2010, it's obvious that the new teams would disagree - if this holds true for a 2011 change as well, we would only need one team not agreeing to have less than 70 % agreement. And McLaren have indicated a positive stance to new teams and Williams always do their own thing, so...
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Jordan192 wrote:For reference, 107% of Rosberg's 1:55.4 would be a 2:03.5 - and even di Grassi was a over a second below that.

Assuming comparable fuel loads, Lotus and Virgin could remain exactly where they are relative to the top guys and it wouldn't come into effect for them. It'll keep HRT out of the races while they'e still learning the car, but not much more - unless you trim to nearer 105%.

I will add to Klon comments that, since there are 3 Qualifying sessions (Q1-Q2-Q3), talking about 107% should be some kind of awkward. Let's say that it rains under Q3 and Q2, and then the track dries... that could leave 11th downwards out of the race.

And I don't know if this is the only issue (I'm trying to imagine, but I can't find problem with tyre compound in Qualifying, since the only forced drivers to do it are starting from 10th upwards), but is a big one.

A solution could be to compare times with Q1 only, but that would be unfair favouring the 15th time in the grid (ok, ulinekely a time to go under 107%, but let's imagine a heavy rain) since he may have done a quick lap in Q1 and then going at the same speed my mama drives at the mall. He's also bothering inthe track if bothering is the issue.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Keirdre wrote:Terrible start for Chandhok...he, and HRT really needed to get as many laps as possible in. How on earth can Chandhok be expected to just qualify tomorrow?

All the more reason to encourage and cheer them on!!!! As much as we love the losers here, I don't wish it on anyone and I really hope they find the pace that's there in that car, just to get all these idiots off their back claiming it's the worst car ever made!! (I have actually seen some moron say this on the Atlas forums... :roll: )
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that this team ran its cars for the first time today. What does this mean? It means the car wasn't running at 100%, as they were mostly doing system checks and ensuring there were no faults, much like any team would do on its first test day. There's definately more to come from the car, even over this weekend as it gets upto speed and settings can begin to be dialed in. If they're still around, I expect them to be significantly closer to virgin/lotus by mid season, possibly in a position to get off the back row too. Don't rule them out just yet.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

danardif1 wrote:
Keirdre wrote:Terrible start for Chandhok...he, and HRT really needed to get as many laps as possible in. How on earth can Chandhok be expected to just qualify tomorrow?

All the more reason to encourage and cheer them on!!!! As much as we love the losers here, I don't wish it on anyone and I really hope they find the pace that's there in that car, just to get all these idiots off their back claiming it's the worst car ever made!! (I have actually seen some moron say this on the Atlas forums... :roll: )

That's the spirit! Let's cheer the guys on, they'll get better soon.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

danardif1 wrote:

Oh, boy. They don't know, do they...
mario

Post by mario »

It's not looking good for Chandhok at the moment - at the moment, they are having problems with the gearbox and Chandhok was unable to select first (or indeed any) gear. And the regulations stipulate that you have to complete a minimum of three laps during the practise session to participate in qualifying - so unless they repair that gearbox soon, Chandhok won't be allowed to qualify.
Although, that said, they are not the only one who are having difficulties with the Xtrac gearbox - a few moments ago (this is for the final practise session), di Grassi was struggling back to the pits, complaining that 7th gear was not working, and the gearshifts were very sluggish (and there were problems with the car slecting neutral instead of the next gear).
[Update] Looks like the problems are not only connected to the gearbox - they've got several Cosworth engineers looking at the back of the car, so it looks like there might be a few engine problems too. But it looks like things are pretty grim for Chandhok.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Senna has got the car closer to Lotus and Virgin now, under 10 secs off Alonso now, all the data collected can be used to hone that further... I don't think they'll get much more pace out the car this weekend as it's so soon after it's first run, but if Senna can get the gap down to 8 secs then they can be very proud of their work this weekend...

Poor Karun!!! I'm sure he understands the issues that were inevitable with the tight schedule they were on... As long as he remains commited and doesn't get too angry about not racing (which I don't think he will do, he's a very nice guy and needs this team for his F1 dream) then he can be a great help not only this weekend helping Bruno out, but then also getting ready for Australia!

Don't worry Karun, your time will come!
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

F1 needs Chandhok more than Chandhok needs F1 :walks off in a huff:

Do you think they'll get fined for this?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

watka wrote:F1 needs Chandhok more than Chandhok needs F1 :walks off in a huff:

Do you think they'll get fined for this?

It's hard to say, I suppose it's down to whether the FIA and the Stewards think that the team deliberately kept Karun in (due to lack of parts, or money), or whether the problem was serious enough to stop them from running him...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

well somehow they've got round the rules, and Chandhok's in, albeit last of course, but he's only just under 2 seconds off his teammate who managed a good few laps yesterday. Incredible what he's been saying about the seat positioning and everything they've had to check whilst he's been doing the laps, credit where credit's due the lad's done well.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

For the handfull of laps he actually managed in Q1, I think Karun was pretty good. Got close to Senna who had far more time in the car (comparatively), and even though it'll be a tough race for the both of them, I feel a lot more optimistic for them now.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

dragonsteincole wrote:For the handfull of laps he actually managed in Q1, I think Karun was pretty good. Got close to Senna who had far more time in the car (comparatively), and even though it'll be a tough race for the both of them, I feel a lot more optimistic for them now.

In fact, if for some reason both manage to finish the race, they ought to get IID.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dragonsteincole wrote:For the handfull of laps he actually managed in Q1, I think Karun was pretty good. Got close to Senna who had far more time in the car (comparatively), and even though it'll be a tough race for the both of them, I feel a lot more optimistic for them now.

Yeah, I misjudged them somehow. If they have had more time to plan things they could well be on top of all new teams.
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:

Yeah, I misjudged them somehow. If they have had more time to plan things they could well be on top of all new teams.

Considering that, at one point, it looked like he wasn't going to even be allowed to race, Chandhok did pretty well considering that he'd never driven on either that track or in that car.
As for the potential of the team, it is interesting - in theory, by subcontracting a lot of the work out to Dallara, who are quite experienced in open wheeler design, the design of the car should progress nicely. However, I suspect that the problem will not be the car, but the management and the finances. The management has only bought itself a temporary reprieve after the buyout, and now they have to work hard at getting more sponsors.
The main problem is inexperience - Kravitz was talking with some of the team at HRT during the final practise session, and found out that only three of the mechanics have ever worked in F1 before. Should the team find itself in a bit of difficulty, they will find it a lot harder to work their way out of it. I expect that if they manage their resources poorly, they might find themselves staying behind the other new teams, even if they have a better car, simply because they cannot maximise the performance of the car.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
PWNSNBM

Post by PWNSNBM »

A reject driver on a reject team, giving it everything he's got, with what little time he has.

Beautiful. :D
"Is this post pointless? Maybe yes, maybe not, this is an F1 forum."
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

PWNSNBM wrote:Image

A reject driver on a reject team, giving it everything he's got, with what little time he has.

Ironically, when they unveiled the car, I hated it. But that shot makes it look pretty badass
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

It is, isn't it? Here's wishing the lads a quiet test tomorrow, may they be in nobody's way, make lots of miles and learn enough to pounce at Lotus and Virgin around Canada.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Jordan wrote:

Ironically, when they unveiled the car, I hated it. But that shot makes it look pretty badass

Same for me, I guess there was a matter of lightning
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:
Same for me, I guess there was a matter of lightning

lol
HWNSNBM strikes you down with his mighty Bolt!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm thinking: after the showing in Australia last weekend, maybe Senna's gloating ("we know it's fast, Dallara's numbers show it's fast") is sounding plausible. These guys are snapping at Virgin's heels, and will soon be all over Lotus, unless Gascoygne's promised updates are good. Tell you what, if they don't run out of money, HRT may just prove everyone who mocked them very wrong!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

and money is exactly what they don't have...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

This wrote:and money is exactly what they don't have...

But they do have the might of the Whole Spanish Press behind them...
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Phoenix wrote:

Don´t believe so. Only 1 of the main Sports Newspapers support them (Marca), two ignore HRT (El mundo deportivo and Sport) and the other one hates them (As). The rest of the spanish press really don´t give a bathplug about anything not being directly involved with Alonso.

The spanish tv covering F1 (La Sexta), doesn´t give a bathplug as well.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Aerond wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Don´t believe so. Only 1 of the main Sports Newspapers support them (Marca), two ignore HRT (El mundo deportivo and Sport) and the other one hates them (As). The rest of the spanish press really don´t give a bathplug about anything not being directly involved with Alonso.

The spanish tv covering F1 (La Sexta), doesn´t give a bathplug as well.

i demand you to apologise to phoenix, he is the whole spanish press!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

This wrote:i demand you to apologise to phoenix, he is the whole spanish press!

Well, yes, except he isn't. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

details :D
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Aerond wrote:the other one hates them (As).

I'd say that's because they weren't a runaway success like Alonso. I don't mean to be rude here, but sometimes I get the feeling the Spanish - in particular the media - seem to think that they're the most gifted nation when it comes to racing and that they'll be instantly competitive everywhere simply because Alonso is so good.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Aerond wrote:the other one hates them (As).

I'd say that's because they weren't a runaway success like Alonso. I don't mean to be rude here, but sometimes I get the feeling the Spanish - in particular the media - seem to think that they're the most gifted nation when it comes to racing and that they'll be instantly competitive everywhere simply because Alonso is so good.

So... you gonna tell us that Water is wet next? :P

You might aswell start calling yourself Captain Obvious :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DonTirri wrote:So... you gonna tell us that Water is wet next? :P

Hey, go easy! I'd only just woken up when I wrote that after spending all night in the emergency room after a friend collapsed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:
DonTirri wrote:So... you gonna tell us that Water is wet next? :P

Hey, go easy! I'd only just woken up when I wrote that after spending all night in the emergency room after a friend collapsed.

Sorry to hear that, and I hope your friend is OK.

Same story seems to apply to the Portuguese media, the difference being we have never had a driver as talented as Alonso. Especially the non-specialist papers (the ones covering football...) seem to think our drivers are simply going go pop in and drag rubbish cars to the title. Expectation surrounding the likes of Lamy, Monteiro and Parente were (and are) frequently surrealist.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
This wrote:i demand you to apologise to phoenix, he is the whole spanish press!

Well, yes, except he isn't. :lol:

Not now, but I will. Be worried, ground your daughters, drink until losing consciousness.
Captain Hammer wrote:I'd say that's because they weren't a runaway success like Alonso. I don't mean to be rude here, but sometimes I get the feeling the Spanish - in particular the media - seem to think that they're the most gifted nation when it comes to racing and that they'll be instantly competitive everywhere simply because Alonso is so good.

It happens as well with any other sport with Spanish presence.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Sorry to hear that, and I hope your friend is OK.

Well, he's not really a friend. He's theboyfirned of a friend's friend. I swear I'm not making this up - I just got a call at 2:30 in the morning telling me to get the hell over to them because they were in trouble.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

HRT just feel like Minardi to me, I can't get away from the sense that they're simply a continuation of Minardi - even the colour scheme is similar to Paul Stoddart's version. I can't imagine them ever being far from the back of the grid, and I can't imagine them ever fielding anyone except brand new drivers.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Sorry to hear that, and I hope your friend is OK.

Well, he's not really a friend. He's theboyfirned of a friend's friend. I swear I'm not making this up - I just got a call at 2:30 in the morning telling me to get the hell over to them because they were in trouble.

You, my friend, are a very nice person. You may however consider turning your phone off during the night... :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

fjackdaw wrote:HRT just feel like Minardi to me, I can't get away from the sense that they're simply a continuation of Minardi - even the colour scheme is similar to Paul Stoddart's version. I can't imagine them ever being far from the back of the grid, and I can't imagine them ever fielding anyone except brand new drivers.

It's great, isn't it?

If only USF1 or Stefan had made it. Still, they've finished a race. I reckon it's onwards and upwards from here. Karun to inherit 10th place aftr a giant pile-up at Spa?