RIP Henry Surtees

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Keirdre

RIP Henry Surtees

Post by Keirdre »

Suffered a nasty accident in F2, as he was knocked out by a bouncing wheel. No reports from the hospital, but the discussions on Twitter appear to be suggesting he has died. Terrible news if so :(

UPDATE: it has been confirmed that Surtees sadly died, so beware the following video is for a fatal accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlfr6_IauW4

RIP. Very sad indeed.
Last edited by Keirdre on 19 Jul 2009, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Henry Surtees

Post by shinji »

If he is indeed dead, then RIP. Looked a nasty accident.

I'd hate to be Jonathan Palmer right now. In the 4th race of his series, a driver may have died.

That's the kind of a accident that can happen no matter how strenuous the safety precautions are. Incredibly unfortunate.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

That's one of the nastiest accidents I've ever seen. If he lives, it's a testament to the safety devices in place on that car. There was nothing Surtees could do, he couldn't have known that at that exact moment a tire was going to bounce across the track.
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

The news on Twitter appears to be indicating that he has now died. Still no websites reporting it. RIP - terrible loss, and quite possibly the beginning of the end of F2.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Don't most open wheel cars have wheel tethers that prevent the wheels from flying everywhere in the case of a crash?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Life w12 wrote:Don't most open wheel cars have wheel tethers that prevent the wheels from flying everywhere in the case of a crash?

Yes. And the tyre came off Surtees car as well, when it hit the wall. So that is not a good sign.

Surtees visor was up as he came to rest. Just shows the force at which the tyre hit him.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I have only just got home from Brands Hatch and this is the first I've heard about the possible severity of the accident. All that I was aware of was that he had been taken to the medical centre and that they later had to safety-car the race to allow the medical helicopter to take off. However, we (my dad and I) did not realise it was for Surtees (couldn't hear commentary well due to F2 volume) but dad thought it was for a spectator he saw unwell during a toilet break. :cry:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

Still nothing confirmed though, and Twitter isn't exactly reliable... fingers crossed.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77073

Only news from Autosport so far and nothing on F1 sites of BBC or ITV...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

Discussion on autosport.com: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &start=120

Not looking at all hopeful.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Best wait for official news rather than speculate. Don't wish to make any mistakes about the situation. There was also another serious accident in a Seat Leon support race with a car barrell-rolling. I've been to Brands Hatch a number of times before (only 45 minutes from home) with touring cars having 'spectacular' incidents but not with anybody being seriously injured before...
MCard LOLA
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Jonathan Noble has said it on his Twitter... these sources are getting steadily more credible.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77088

Rest in peace.

(You know, it's really weird knowing somebody younger than you has just died.)
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Let's hope motorsport learns from this and sorts out stronger wheel tethers.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Horrible accident, RIP Henry, and condolences to his friends and relatives.
thehemogoblin

Re: RIP Henry Surtees

Post by thehemogoblin »

Who was the last (at least somewhat) major driver to die in a race?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Oh my, one of the very few fatalities in high-class motorsport that have taken place during the time I have memories from (I was a tad too young to remember Senna's crash). :(

My deepest condolences for the family of Surtees.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nuppiz wrote: (I was a tad too young to remember Senna's crash). :(

Same here, and by a tad, I mean far too young.

RIP Henry Surtees
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Keirdre

Post by Keirdre »

thehemogoblin wrote:Who was the last (at least somewhat) major driver to die in a race?

Actually in a race? I remember Greg Moore dying in 1999 in Indycar, but don't recall anything since, although there has almost certainly been someone since.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Looking through this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_racing_drivers_who_died_in_racing_crashes
it looks like there were a few deaths in decent series in America in 2006.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Daijiro Kato died in a Moto GP race in 2003, but in open wheel racing I think Greg Moore is the last person to die in a race, not a test or practice session.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Paul Dana in 2007, I think, after looking at that list.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP, my heart goes out to everyone close to Henry. Outside of America, it's been very rare in my memory to hear of an open wheel racing death.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

RIP Henry, such a horrible way to go.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

An awful accident. And don't forget he was the son of F1 champion John Surtees. RIP.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

I am shocked. This just can't be... Some time ago I was concerned about efficacy of wheel tethers, and sadly I was right. (do F2 cars have any wheel tether??)
Indeed, it's really weird knowing that such a young boy has lost his life.
May he rest in peace... My deepest condolences to his friends and family.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Jack O Malley wrote:Some time ago I was concerned about efficacy of wheel tethers, and sadly I was right. (do F2 cars have any wheel tether??)

Perhaps now isn't the time to get into a technical discussion, but I don't think you are right. This is from the FIA website regarding the new F2 series:

Palmer said: “This was an outstanding result and a great testimony to Patrick Head’s team. As well as complying with the FIA survival cell impact tests, including side impact, nose push-off, nose impact, roll over bar and rear impact structure tests, our F2 car incorporates the latest 2009 F1 head surround protection requirements, wheel tethers and many other detail safety benefits such as the accident data recorder and even a cockpit light that illuminates to warn rescue teams that the car has been subjected to a very high G impact.

Judging from the video, I'd say the wheel tethers worked exactly as intended. Wheel tethers are not designed to prevent wheels from breaking off cars; they are designed to prevent wheels flying off at high speed. If you look at the video, the wheel was moving very slowly across the track and it was the speed of Surtees' car which caused the damage.

Nonetheless, a tragic accident indeed. Sincerest condolences to the Surtees family.

PS - If you're going for high profile drivers dying in race crashes, I don't think it got much higher profile than when Dale Earnhardt was killed in the 2001 Daytona 500.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

RIP.....

Incidently the wheel came off Jack Clarke's car who is Julian Bailey's step-son
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Rest in peace Henry. I can't imagine what's passing through John's mind and the rest of the Surtees clan. Such a tragic loss.

The scary part is this isn't new to Formula 2 at all. The original F2 had a similar accident at Hockenheim back in 1980 when Markus Hoettinger was struck in the head by a loose wheel and perished. A terrible and sad day for the motor racing world.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

That was a very nasty crash from the vidoes I saw on youtube.
RIP Henry :(
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Very Sad news indeed, RIP and condolences to the Surtees Clan....

Very Ironic that a Man who was a Motorcycle and Formula 1 champion, during the most deadly time in auto racing comes through without so much as a serious injury, and then to lose a Son in the safest time, and to a freak accident at that....

Very sad..
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
jesus928

Post by jesus928 »

Very sorry to see a motor racing fatality. Rest in peace Henry. The link at the top of this page doesn't work but this one does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dsOwfe7xo
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

shinji wrote:I'd hate to be Jonathan Palmer right now. In the 4th race of his series, a driver may have died.

It's by no means a reflection of the safety of Formula Two. There were so many variables in play that it was almost random chance that it happened. I don't think a driver like Surtees - or his father - would want the series discontinued for an accident like that.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Bort

Post by Bort »

Terrible accident, reminds me of the infamous Tom Pryce video in its power to show how these guys ride it on the edge and can be snuffed out within a split second.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Awful news - and my sympathy goes out to everyone who has been involved in this tragedy.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It must be awful for John Surtees, who doubtless lost many friends and colleagues to fatal accidents in the fifties and sixties. He must have thought those days were behind him.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

News of his death was confirmed very soon after I went to bed last night and am very sorry to learn of it. He had scored his best result in F2 just the day before by finishing 3rd. What makes it even more tragic in my mind was the number of other incidents in that race that they kept replaying on the big screens round the track that had no consequences. And we all thought the race stoppage was because of the fickle English weather - will it rain or not? Very distressing.

And for those wanting to know, it happened round on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix loop, just a corner or two beyond the corner already named after his father...
MCard LOLA
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Paul Hayes wrote:It must be awful for John Surtees, who doubtless lost many friends and colleagues to fatal accidents in the fifties and sixties. He must have thought those days were behind him.

Also spare a thought for Frank Williams - the circumstances of this are in some ways comparable to that of Senna's death. Two very unlucky incidents which have invloved his cars.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am confident that if anything can be learnt from this very unfortunate set of circumstances, then it will be implemented, if for no other reason than Jonathan Palmer, organisor of both Brands and F2, has his own son competing in the F2 series and that his condolences will be genuine.
MCard LOLA