Your Reject of the Race - Hungary!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Hungary!

Post by shinji »

Debris on the track. Could have killed Massa (thank God it hasn't) and then we were lucky that nothing happened with Alonso's disintegrating front right.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Actually I think that Nicole belongs to the "loose parts off the track" category :lol:
Waris

Post by Waris »

Loose parts on the track has been too important to ignore, but timing system and Renault deserve at least honorable mentions.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

Actually I think Nicole looks like she could be a relative, in which case her presence could be excused on the grounds that you can't choose your family.
I nominate Flav for leaving the circuit when one of his drivers was still in the race - that kind of thing must make Piquet feel wonderful.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Osiris13 wrote:Actually I think Nicole looks like she could be a relative, in which case her presence could be excused on the grounds that you can't choose your family.

She's his girlfriend. And that jumping made her look like the idiot that she probably is.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I think the FIA stewards have just made a stunning late entry to take RotR for Hungary:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77354

Pathetic.
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

Thanks shinji, I managed to work out she was his vacuous girlfriend all by myself.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Stewart wrote:I think the FIA stewards have just made a stunning late entry to take RotR for Hungary:

Pathetic.

FAIL.
So that means 18 cars on the grid. Nice going, FIA stewards.

Also, cue Alonso to Ferrari rumor mill running wild.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Stewart wrote:I think the FIA stewards have just made a stunning late entry to take RotR for Hungary:

Pathetic.

That is ridiculous. If the same meter must apply to all teams, then Brawn must be banned for one race too.
razta

Post by razta »

yeah and why did mclaren get only a "Suspended" ban?
muttley

Post by muttley »

razta wrote:yeah and why did mclaren get only a "Suspended" ban?

come on, Liegate and what happened this weekend cannot be compared.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Pit crews and their faulty procedures have to take this one. Not a good show for Renault.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Pathetic.

Absolutely.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Luckily the stewards didn't penalize Räikkönen - otherwise I would nominate them again in a spite of anger. This leaves the Renault pit crew and their wheel covering system - for using a difficult-to-handle wheel covering and for letting Alonso out of the pits whilst one of the mechanics was still working on the wheel that later flew off.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pathetic.

I'm sorry but as I posted in another thread, I was at Brands when Henry Surtees was KILLED by an errant wheel and debris from Barrichello's car badly injured Massa, and in this instance, Alonso had the opportunity to park the car, Renault could have told him to park the car... What's the alternative? More injuries? Yes, it's harsh, but so is what happened to Surtees and Massa. The difference? They can't appeal against their injuries. :(
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Robert Kubica (for being a potential world champion and getting consistently outpaced by Nick Heidfeld and loitering around at the back of the field), and Brawn (for going backwards down the field with their upgrades), Nelsinho Piquet (will probably be his last race), and the FIA (decision to ban Renault with Valencia coming up) are all solid candidates.

However, the clear winner is debris on the track, because of Massa's accident, and Alonso's wheel. It's all downright dangerous. I think that the team's really have to take responsibility for making sure their cars don't fall apart, especially after pit stops.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

dr-baker wrote:I'm sorry but as I posted in another thread, I was at Brands when Henry Surtees was KILLED by an errant wheel and debris from Barrichello's car badly injured Massa, and in this instance, Alonso had the opportunity to park the car, Renault could have told him to park the car... What's the alternative? More injuries? Yes, it's harsh, but so is what happened to Surtees and Massa. The difference? They can't appeal against their injuries. :(
I'm sorry to hear that, dr-baker. I was upset when I heard of Henry's death, as I would be for any motorsport-related death. No driver is going to park an otherwise healthy car just because a wheel is loose. Alonso did the right thing, which was to slow down and return to the pits.

What about Hamilton going round with a puncture at the Nurburgring? The carcass could have come off that tyre and injured someone, or the flailing tyre could have caused debris on the track which could have injured someone. Should he have parked it in the name of safety?

What about Webber's front wing? Nobody could be sure it wasn't damaged in the contact with Hamilton. Should he have been pulled in to have it checked out, in case it flew off and hit someone?

The only difference is that we've had a fatality and a bad injury since that race. I can understand how the FIA might want to change things in the future to help prevent these accidents, but the rules haven't changed yet, so neither should the punishments.

watka wrote:I think that the team's really have to take responsibility for making sure their cars don't fall apart, especially after pit stops.

It is in their best interests that their cars don't fall apart...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pathetic.

What? That is is why I hate populist justice!

Rumour mill: Nando takes Felipe's seat next week. Renault management hails the decision and leaves F1. Piquet gives up and goes catwalking. Kimi hets dumped from Ferrari at the end of the year, Alonso takes his seat alongside Massa.

Actually, I just predict a legal wrangling in the next few weeks, to spice up the holidays. The promoters in Valencia will be trying to fry Bernie using The Force by now.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Renault for an absolutely shambolic showing. It was all very Andrea Moda, wasn't it? What, with dangerous pit-stop actions, the team principal hot-footing it before the race ended - there goes any lingering doubt that Piquet will be gone before soon - and a disintegrating car struggling around the track on 3-wheels.

BMW were just forgettable, they need not bother turning up anymore as they actually provide zero entertainment value. Utterly dull.

Hamilton's father and the main stripper from the Pussycat Dolls do my nut in. I can understand Mr. Hamilton is being supportive but he is omnipresent wherever Lewis is. Nicole's "thumbs-up" of support at Lewis's pit-stop was just lame. Go away, please.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Stewart wrote:What about Hamilton going round with a puncture at the Nurburgring? The carcass could have come off that tyre and injured someone, or the flailing tyre could have caused debris on the track which could have injured someone. Should he have parked it in the name of safety?

What about Webber's front wing? Nobody could be sure it wasn't damaged in the contact with Hamilton. Should he have been pulled in to have it checked out, in case it flew off and hit someone?

I think the difference is that an intact wheel is heavier, can travel further, and do a lot more damage than tyre carcass or pieces of front wing. Henry Surtees was killed by that very thing. Yes, this punishment may not have applied two weeks ago, but fatalities in sport are all about learning lessons. If someone had been killed by Alonso's tyre, it'd be a different story.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

After the ban, the Reject of the Race is definitely Renault.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Reject of the Race -- The Entire Weekend.

So many things to complain about:

- Felipe Massa's Luck. That was extreme misfortune to get hit with the spring in the first place -- especially seeing what happened a week earlier.

- The Renault Wheel. Self explanatory. That was downright dangerous.

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

- KERS. For proving that it is not a Push To Pass, but more like Push To Block.

- The Ferrari gearbox. Might have cost Kimi Raikkonen the race.

- Nicole Shirtsinger. One song comes to mind: ...and I'm not a hip-hop fan...

- Lewis Hamilton's Post-Race Interview, for being extremely faceless, corporate, and so bland it makes the F1 Rejects home page look bright and colorful.

- The FIA Stewards. For tossing the banhammer too early and making the below RotR eligible...

- The Spanish Tabloids. Because Massa's absense from the #3 Ferrari and no Renault will send rumors aflying that Alonso will drive the Ferrari. Pre-emptive, I know.

So what the heck, give RotR to the entire weekend.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

This is one of the few races where Piquet is definitely not my ROTR. His race wasn't too bad but he should have done a bit better.

Flavio gets my vote, leaving when Piquet was still in the race, that must signify that he is on his way out.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Cynon wrote:Reject of the Race -- The Entire Weekend.

- Felipe Massa's Luck. That was extreme misfortune to get hit with the spring in the first place -- especially seeing what happened a week earlier.

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

- Lewis Hamilton's Post-Race Interview, for being extremely faceless, corporate, and so bland it makes the F1 Rejects home page look bright and colorful.

- The FIA Stewards. For tossing the banhammer too early and making the below RotR eligible...

- The Spanish Tabloids. Because Massa's absense from the #3 Ferrari and no Renault will send rumors aflying that Alonso will drive the Ferrari. Pre-emptive, I know.

The whole weekend gets my vote too,
IMO Formula One looked like a bunch of amateurs this weekend, and Massa unfortunate accident didn't help either
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

As well as the timing thing at the end of Q3.

It was a mess of a weekend, but surely Hamilton being corporate and bland is nothing new?
Last edited by shinji on 26 Jul 2009, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

shinji wrote:

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

It was a mess of a weekend, but some of the stuff you mentioned (eg Hamilton's interview), that kind of thing happens every race.

Agreed completely. Good God it was a mess. We started with a huge crash and ending with Renault banned from the next race. And in the middle: just insanity.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
kb9vrg

Post by kb9vrg »

Flavio Briatore. For proving that you can still have your team excluded from the next race - even when you leave the race early.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tristan1117 wrote:
shinji wrote:

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

It was a mess of a weekend, but some of the stuff you mentioned (eg Hamilton's interview), that kind of thing happens every race.

Agreed completely. Good God it was a mess. We started with a huge crash and ending with Renault banned from the next race. And in the middle: just insanity.

Don't forget Red Bull for sending Vettel out even though it was clear to all the viewers and commentators that his race was over and the suspension was broken. And they also destoryed Webber's chance for 2nd. In hindsight had he stayed ahead of Raikkonen at the first stop second was easily his as it's almost impossible (Even with KERS) to get by at the Hungaroring.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ZsoltForever

Post by ZsoltForever »

- Springs.

- Brawn GP. No Pace.

Great post. Can't argue with a word of it.
razta

Post by razta »

The similarities are just that bad!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Oh god... someone fetch the bucket
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here is hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Felipe Massa.

That was the most unlikely of accidents. The thing that hit him surely will get Reject Of the Race.

Given the fact that the KERS cars of both McLaren and Ferrari were really competitive this weekend, and that Massa generally had the upper hand over his team mate all season long, he should have been ahead of him, too, in the race and might have been a challenge to Hamilton winning the race - if it were not for that piece of junk flying around on the track.

But you might as well want to give the award to Brawn GP, first for losing that spare part and second for their decrease in performance.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
razta

Post by razta »

Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I nominate the third damper spring that came off Barrichello's car as Reject of the Race, though Renault should get an honourable mention.
theshoo

Post by theshoo »

My ROTR Votes:
The guy responsible for securing that hub-cap thing onto Alonso's car. It would have been great to see he and Hamilton going at it tooth and nail for a while...and while a long shot, can you just imagine the ensuing love-fest if both had made it to the podium? Now that would be entertainment. #2 for Hamilton's dad checking himself out on TV.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Loose parts.

The spring from the Brawn and the wheel cover from the Renault.

(and then again, giving ROTR to the track is always viable in Hungary)
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

I vote Kubica for his completely brazen disinterest and poor performance.

Runners up, Renault's pit crew, Barrichello who got stuck behind Nakajima and wouldn't pull a move despite having nothing to lose. Toro-Rosso who were just plain shite.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Allow me to nominate Red Bull's strategist, whoever he is. I'll just quote myself from another thread as explanation:

Just re-watching the GP now. What the hell was that Red Bull strategy for Webber? I reckon if they'd let him on the Super Softs at the first pit stop and fuelled him a bit lighter, he'd have come out in front of Raikkonen and not been overtaken by Rosberg. That means he might have gone after Hamilton - he did the fastest lap of the race close to the end, over 0.5 seconds faster than the second best lap overall, by Hamilton. He certainly lost second place, might have lost a win with that decision.

It looked a lot like Toyota in Bahrain, if I'm honest.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Waris

Post by Waris »

I don't know if Enoch and Jamie consider these topics in deciding the RotR for the podcast, but even if they don't this might be one of the hardest ones, if not the hardest, to call in the history of F1 Rejects.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

That's why I nominated the whole weekend as Reject of the Race -- make it easy on Jamie and Enoch, assuming they read it. Because really, the entire weekend sucked. It was just bad and filled with mistakes, things that went wrong, etcetera.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.