The HRT thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
thehemogoblin

Re: The HRT thread

Post by thehemogoblin »

F1000X wrote:Can someone explain to me how they managed to bid from the FIA back in 2009? USF1, as farcical as it was came with the false promise of bringing US interest to the sport. What did Campos bring to the table?

It's the first-ever Spanish team.

Phoenix, your thoughts?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I'm not Phoenix, but I would say that the racing record of Campos in lower series was very good, and Dallara are half-competent at making chassis. They were also keen on using the Cosworth engine, as Mosley wanted, and they were the kind of low-budget team that Mad Max wanted for his cost-capped Formula 1.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Ferrim wrote:I'm not Phoenix, but I would say that the racing record of Campos in lower series was very good, and Dallara are half-competent at making chassis. They were also keen on using the Cosworth engine, as Mosley wanted, and they were the kind of low-budget team that Mad Max wanted for his cost-capped Formula 1.

Above all, I'd say that Campos promised to get juicy Spanish investments, something which as we all know overestimated and in which he failed miserably. When Carabante took over the team, they were already on the entry list and nothing could be done about that. So they'll hang on it until they finally run short of money. If Bernie is trying to save the team it's because he doesn't want the sport to get somewhat discredited because they admitted a team that was very weak financially and collapsed shortly after entering the sport.

And, well, Spain is Spain. Creating overambitious ventures then find ourselves in hot water is our speciality :lol:
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Oh well. I guess this is the same source that said they would collapse before then end of last season. Never got the new car, or any Williams parts!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Looks like Karthikeyan will be back in NASCAR after all.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:If Bernie is trying to save the team it's because he doesn't want the sport to get somewhat discredited because they admitted a team that was very weak financially and collapsed shortly after entering the sport.

How much more discredited can the sport get after the political BS that's gone down in the last decade?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

MaxZero wrote:http://old.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=402107&FS=F1

Apparently the engineers haven't been paid in two months leading to 5 resignations, and a big fib about the customs hold up

This sounds fantastically bad

Hmm, if true, then it sounds like the team are in a more desperate situation than they'd like to admit. Just losing five engineers so close to the start of the season will hurt the team, if true, but the fact that they've not been paid for so long does sound like a team in terminal decline.
patrick wrote:

Apparently the engineers haven't been paid in two months leading to 5 resignations, and a big fib about the customs hold up

The news coincides with rumours in Germany that Bernie Ecclestone is now getting involved with the team's survival.

Interesting, but why would he do that? I thought he wants less teams now. Although, I think he hates virgin more than HRT actually, he expected branson to throw a lot of money at it most likely...

Possibly because he wants a dissenting voice amongst the teams to sow discord and confusion just before the Concorde Agreement is about to be renegotiated? HRT have recently begun to support some of Bernie's comments, such as those relating to downsizing the grid, and have not always seen eye to eye with their other competitors. Perhaps he is trying to buy their support?
Alternatively, as others have suggested, he might be trying to protect the image of the sport by helping the team survive until the end of the season. However, he hasn't ever really shown any sympathy towards HRT before - he even predicted once that they would run out of money - so why he would suddenly have such overwhelming sympathy, and moreover money, for them is a bit peculiar.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:
patrick wrote:

The news coincides with rumours in Germany that Bernie Ecclestone is now getting involved with the team's survival.

Interesting, but why would he do that? I thought he wants less teams now. Although, I think he hates virgin more than HRT actually, he expected branson to throw a lot of money at it most likely...

Possibly because he wants a dissenting voice amongst the teams to sow discord and confusion just before the Concorde Agreement is about to be renegotiated? HRT have recently begun to support some of Bernie's comments, such as those relating to downsizing the grid, and have not always seen eye to eye with their other competitors. Perhaps he is trying to buy their support?
Alternatively, as others have suggested, he might be trying to protect the image of the sport by helping the team survive until the end of the season. However, he hasn't ever really shown any sympathy towards HRT before - he even predicted once that they would run out of money - so why he would suddenly have such overwhelming sympathy, and moreover money, for them is a bit peculiar.

There have rumours for a while that Bernie has been making an effort to help new teams ever since news about their struggles have come to public. Some even said that it is only thanks to Bernie that HRT made to the grid last season. Possibly he is trying to extract some favours from HRT in order to split the teams. Anyway, it would explain a bit the money the team had in order to design this year car...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Waris

Post by Waris »

This team has been in decline since before it even started its first race.
Of course it's not going to stick around for a very long time, so let's not worry about that, but rather enjoy it while it lasts!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
S951

Post by S951 »

it lives!! sort of......

Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

S951 wrote:it lives!! sort of......

Did they forgot to pack the rest of it? Or it got stuck in customs? :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
S951

Post by S951 »

another!

NK "was we not supposed to do this seat fitting a few weeks ago??"

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote: HRT have recently begun to support some of Bernie's comments, such as those relating to downsizing the grid.

Why would HRT support that statement? It would be one of the teams to lose out.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Apparently they don't even have an Adjustable Rear Wing.

That alone might just push them over the 107% barrier.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90114

And the publicocrapomiter explodes :lol:
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

DanielPT wrote:
S951 wrote:it lives!! sort of......

Did they forgot to pack the rest of it? Or it got stuck in customs? :lol:

No, they were experimenting with anti-gravity engines. :P
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

deCrasheris wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90114

What was he smoking?? :?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Liuzzi merely said there's always a chance of points, which is true allowing for possible reliability issues for others, but that seeing the chequered flag was far more important & must be their first goal.

Personally, I'll be pleased if they just manage to at least start!
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
S951

Post by S951 »

holy cow look here

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:
deCrasheris wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90114

What was he smoking?? :?

eagleash wrote:Liuzzi merely said there's always a chance of points, which is true allowing for possible reliability issues for others, but that seeing the chequered flag was far more important & must be their first goal.

The boy has a point. I remember Adelaide 95, were the attrition rate was such that Lamy scored a point! And a Forti finished seventh! And who can forget Panis win at Monaco 96? In a Ligier Mugen-Honda? Anything can happen! :)*

They obviously must qualify first...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:
eagleash wrote:Liuzzi merely said there's always a chance of points, which is true allowing for possible reliability issues for others, but that seeing the chequered flag was far more important & must be their first goal.

The boy has a point. I remember Adelaide 95, were the attrition rate was such that Lamy scored a point! And a Forti finished seventh! And who can forget Panis win at Monaco 96? In a Ligier Mugen-Honda? Anything can happen! :)*

He's 54 Daniel PT, he's 54.* :lol:

*Well, atleast I think he is. And besides it fits the reworded quote I stole off HIGNFY.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

He's 54 Daniel PT, he's 54.* :lol:

*Well, atleast I think he is. And besides it fits the reworded quote I stole off HIGNFY.

:lol: I was actually talking about Liuzzi! But nice catch!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Narain Karthikeyan wrote:Yes, of course it’s a concern, but we believe the car is a good step forward with the Williams rear end and everything else, so it should be a positive step - at least on paper, but until you drive you never know.

What he said: "Yes, of course it's a concern, but we believe the Williams rear end is a step forward regardless the rest of the car being basically last year car. Of course this changes can make the car 'undrivable' but until you drive you never know."
S951

Post by S951 »

look look car is semi built

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Quoting some Japanese commentator:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I just woke up and checked ze results - HRT wasn't on track yet! I hope they'll get their stuff together and at least put ONE car on track in FP2.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

It actually lived! Liuzzi managed to get it around for an installation lap... And it looks ghastly! I am well aware that they had no official sponsor drive, but to actually leave the likes of 'this could be you!' and 'this is cool F1 spot' on the bodywork? I doubt even Andrea Moda did that, truly rejectful! I can't wait to see what happens in qualifying :D
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Glad Hispania managed to actually get one car out on the track, apparantly Liuzzis car also had to be almost completely dismantled to solve a fuel leak as well which was why they were so late, while they're still flying in parts for Narain's car.

Hope that a miracle occurs and they get within 107% and/or the stewards let them start!
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

does anyone here agree with me that this has a bigger reject-potential that Lola 97 ? :twisted:
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:does anyone here agree with me that this has a bigger reject-potential that Lola 97 ? :twisted:

I do agree with you! :D

I wonder how they want to qualify in about 2 hours of race track. Seriously, it is worst than last year... The only problem is that without Sundays they look set to die quickly.
patrick

Post by patrick »

They appear to be using a lot of 2010 parts, either due to failing crash tests (as rumoured) or simply not having the supply. It'll be a miracle if they have two cars on track for qualifying
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

patrick wrote:They appear to be using a lot of 2010 parts, either due to failing crash tests (as rumoured) or simply not having the supply. It'll be a miracle if they have two cars on track for qualifying

Having seen the photos someone posted over at the autosport forums......

It looks like they've realised they won't get their 2011 car ready, and have merely repainted the 2010 one. I assume they 2010 cars would have been dissasembled at some point, and where probably sitting around back at the workshop, which may explain the lack of parts and late readying. In some ways that would actually be better - the 2010 car in Liuzzis hands with the Williams rear end wasn't too shabby at the pre-season tests...
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

And here are those pictures. After having a second look it probably is the 2011 car with 2010 bits bolted on, but that still bodes well for reliability and getting the car sorted out in FP3 for a sub-107% qualy time.

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Surely bolting together parts of the 2010 car is going to upset aero balance and things like that, even if the new car is based on the old one.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Besides the fact that the old car was already miles off the pace...
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

DanielPT wrote:Besides the fact that the old car was already miles off the pace...

Like I said, the interim car they tested with, assuming the lead teams weren't sandbagging, wasn't too shabby on the pace.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I just love how the so-called new car is such a derivative of the old car that parts such as the nose and front wings are interchangeable at all!
patrick

Post by patrick »

eytl wrote:I just love how the so-called new car is such a derivative of the old car that parts such as the nose and front wings are interchangeable at all!

On the FP1 broadcast they mentioned the car was made by the same company that supplied Toro Rosso with the 2008 car (that won a race). The name of the company escapes me at the moment, but it wasn't Dallara as we know, so indeed, they have most likely deliberately constructed the car in such a manner, knowing full well they would need to use old parts.

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Surely bolting together parts of the 2010 car is going to upset aero balance

we would have to assume the car had any aero balance to begin with, which appears unlikely :lol:
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

eytl wrote:I just love how the so-called new car is such a derivative of the old car that parts such as the nose and front wings are interchangeable at all!

Osella anyone?
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!