Your IIDOTR- Australia

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your IIDOTR- Australia

Post by Enforcer »

1st - Petrov Transpires he's a driver after all.
2nd - Perez Illegal Sauber not withstanding, he had a brilliant race.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

1. Petrov - Third place, his first podium. All I have to say is WOW!

2. Perez - Screw the DSQ, I think Perez drove well!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
WIDD

Post by WIDD »

1. Perez
2. Petrov

Can't argue with that!

Out of interest, those who were watching BBC coverage, who out there felt sorry for Petrov when Jake, DC and EJ were asking Boullier about what Kubica could've done with the Renault when the focus should've been on Petrov's first podium...?
Murray: "This could give Mika Hakkinen his opportunity to get past Ralf Schumacher, as Nigel Mansell did to Senna in 1959."
Martin: "I was born in 1959; I think it was a touch later than that, Murray!"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Petrov. Great quali, flawless race and a podium
2. Perez. DSQ aside, great tyre-saving and beat highly-rated (at least here) team-mate.
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

1. Petrov
2. Buemi

Unless Sauber wins their appeal what they did doesn't count. Rules are rules.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WIDD wrote:1. Perez
2. Petrov

Can't argue with that!

Out of interest, those who were watching BBC coverage, who out there felt sorry for Petrov when Jake, DC and EJ were asking Boullier about what Kubica could've done with the Renault when the focus should've been on Petrov's first podium...?

Yeah I did to be honest. Kubica would not have finished higher.

1. Petrov
2. Perez
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

1. Petrov - 3rd place, completely on merit. I didn't think he'd get a podium this season, let alone in the first race.

2. Perez - As many have said, the disqualification is irrelevant. Showed some brilliant flashes of pace (as fast as Kobayashi), and was able to nurse the tyres excellently. I have high hopes for this guy and he's already delivering!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1) Petrov: deserved that podium, and an excellent drive all around. Let's hope this isn't a fluke.
2) Perez: Proves that a 1 stop drive with Pirellis can be done.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...and, as all but one of you have said, despite the FIA's meddling, Sergio Pérez shades it over Vitaly Petrov. Consider that it's his first race and he manages to do 35 laps, consistently, on a set of tyres that are supposed to be shredded after a third of that distance, and you have to wonder if there's something in the water in Mexico. It reminds me of ten years ago, when some youngster called Kimi Räikkönen in a Sauber with number 17 on it was expected to be a long way out of his depth and surprised everyone. It also reminds me, rather more unfortunately, of Robert Kubica - a stunning debut ruined by being disqualified.

Credit to Petrov as well, though, especially after seeing him cuddling that trophy like it was a baby. I'd say it means a lot to him.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

dinizintheoven wrote:It reminds me of ten years ago, when some youngster called Kimi Räikkönen in a Sauber with number 17 on it was expected to be a long way out of his depth and surprised everyone. It also reminds me, rather more unfortunately, of Robert Kubica - a stunning debut ruined by being disqualified.

It's interesting...
Kimi debuted in 2001 in a Sauber... and scored a point on his debut race, although Panis was DSQ-d from 4th place!
Kubica debuted in 2006 in a BMW-Sauber... (although mid-season!) and would have scored a point if it wasn't for his DSQ!
Perez debuted in 2011 in a Sauber... and would have scored points if it wasn't for his DSQ!

All three of them debuted in the Sauber team, all three had some sort of connection to disqualification...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Sergio Pérez: While the disqualification does taint this somewhat, and while I was expecting Pérez to be the best of the rookies, I wasn't expecting a seventh place finish in his first race.

2) Vitaly Petrov: Utterly schooled his teammate with a shockingly quick performance. A very well-deserved podium.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Keirdre wrote:1. Petrov (he looked just as confused as I was)
2. Perez (must have brought some GP2 tyres with him)

Erm, I believe the GP2 tyres this year are identical to the F1 tyres... :oops:

And I was :) to see that this thread was not opened until after the chequered flag. :D

Nominations. As it will be a landslide between two drivers anyway, I'll go for Buemi and di Resta. Both ending up in unexpected points positions. (Even if aided by DSQs.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

1) sauber's strategy
2) petrov's maturity
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
beetleman64

Post by beetleman64 »

It will indeed be a landslide, as no-one else really stood out for the right reasons (DNQing and spinning are not the right reasons). For what it's worth:

1. Perez -- What a debut! Gutted Sauber got DSQed, as he made a gamble and it paid off handsomely.
2. Petrov -- Dominated Heidfeld, held off Webber and Alonso, quick all weekend, deserved the podium.
Martin Brundle for FIA president. We need someone with common sense up in the ivory tower of power.

I hope Jeoren Slaghekke gets into F1 just so I can say that I've talked to an F1 driver.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Nothing interesting here, just getting my votes in for the sake of it.
1. Petrov
2. Perez
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Warren Hughes wrote:Nothing interesting here, just getting my votes in for the sake of it.
1. Petrov
2. Perez

Ditto.
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Pardon me for being a noob, but what's IIDOTR? :P
Phoenix wrote:"Read F1 Rejects, it never lies"

resir01 | A F1RWRS reject that nobody knows.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/resir014
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

What are the rules for IIDOTR? Can a driver still win it even if he's disqualified?

Oh who am I kidding. This is F1Rejects. There are no rules...
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

resir014 wrote:Pardon me for being a noob, but what's IIDOTR? :P
Infinite Improbability Drive Of The Race.
Midfield or tail end driver/team that did the unexpected in a good way and impressed with an amazing drive basically
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

The Sauber team is my IDDOTR because even though they have have been DSQ , their pace looks really good.
A close 2nd is Petrov because he made Nick look like a amateur racer and beat him the whole weekend. I feel sorry for him as everyone is saying Kubica would of done better, but how do they know? Petrov could of been pushing the Renault to its limits plus the Red Bull & Mclaren were faster.
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

GroupLotusRenault wrote:The Sauber team is my IDDOTR because even though they have have been DSQ , their pace looks really good.
A close 2nd is Petrov because he made Nick look like a amateur racer and beat him the whole weekend. I feel sorry for him as everyone is saying Kubica would of done better, but how do they know? Petrov could of been pushing the Renault to its limits plus the Red Bull & Mclaren were faster.

Well, given that Petrov only had the better of Kubica once last year, and then only slightly, it would be natural to assume that would've continued. I think Kubica could've been a bit closer to the leading pair, but that's not to take away from Petrov, who drove brilliantly in the race.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
GroupLotusRenault wrote:The Sauber team is my IDDOTR because even though they have have been DSQ , their pace looks really good.

Well, given that Petrov only had the better of Kubica once last year, and then only slightly, it would be natural to assume that would've continued. I think Kubica could've been a bit closer to the leading pair, but that's not to take away from Petrov, who drove brilliantly in the race.

Given that Kubica was really fast in the test he made and was quite a bit faster than Petrov in that test I would say that Robert would have the chance to beat Hamilton in this race. But, of course, this is a big if and a lot of speculation... We have to measure the Renault by its current drivers and that places them 4th in the pecking order, behind Ferrari and ahead of Mercedes.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:

Given that Kubica was really fast in the test he made and was quite a bit faster than Petrov in that test I would say that Robert would have the chance to beat Hamilton in this race. But, of course, this is a big if and a lot of speculation... We have to measure the Renault by its current drivers and that places them 4th in the pecking order, behind Ferrari and ahead of Mercedes.

Right now I'ld put them third in the pecking order based on the fact that Massa looks like the mother and father of all big accidents waiting to happen. Plus the Ferrari looks like it chews through its tyres like there's no tomorrow.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

Right now I'ld put them third in the pecking order based on the fact that Massa looks like the mother and father of all big accidents waiting to happen. Plus the Ferrari looks like it chews through its tyres like there's no tomorrow.

I think that this race might have been one off for Ferrari so I am not writing them off yet. But, yes, based only on the results of this race they find themselves (Renault) 3rd in the pecking order. As for Massa, he is just being average like last year. I am afraid that the Hockenheim team orders really killed his Ferrari career (I hope for the sake of him that I am wrong). Now, if Ferrari want a good second driver to make Alonso happy then Massa can keep strolling around but the negative point is that with others having stronger driver line-ups, they won't be wining the WCC any time soon...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:Umm... Carlos, Eagleash and I have been spending the last 4 hours discussing who was to open it ;)

And you're not even doing it right. :lol:

Anyways my nomination is as follows:

1. Petrov: Utterly dominated Heidfeld all weekend and deserved his podium
2. Sauber: Perez finishes 7th with one stop while Kobayashi finishes 8th in the other car.

Yep. I asked Carlos if he was going to do it. He said no. So I said I'd do this one (as Carlos has asked me to stand in on previous occasions), & then "play it by ear". Carlos then said he'd do it, but clearly changed his mind or wasn't quick enough!. :)
Wizzie also volunteered to stand in if necessary. Remember with Carlos currently heavily committed elsewhere, whoever starts this thread will also be responsible for collation & posting of results.

Noms.

Perez & Massa, although the latter was anonymous for most of the race the early battle with JB showed he still has something to offer.
Last edited by eagleash on 28 Mar 2011, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I just wanted to make sure that we had a thread... :roll:

And I'll happily do the scoring, since, by 'ruling', I have to.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Obviously very close between the two Pe- drivers.

I think Petrov had the most expectation on him to perform with Kubica gone, so it was a nice surprise that he lifted his game like that.

1. Petrov
2. Perez
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

Ed24 wrote:Obviously very close between the two Pe- drivers.

Nice play on words there!
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Surprise surprise!

1. Petrov
2. Perez

:lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Peter

Post by Peter »

1.Petrov
As much as I'd not like to admit it, petrov did very good. It could be just a 1 off, but I could be wrong. Give the race 1 or 2 laps more and alonso wouldve had him though.

2.Sauber
How on gods earth did Perez manage a 1 stopper? Does he know something about the tyres everyone else doesn't? The saubers have a lot of pace, damn shame about the DQ.

3.HRT
Being only 1.7 seconds off the 107% rule with so much against them. Colin kolles should be given a beer for his work.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This Petrov landslide is only because nobody actually expected him to do this good. :D (And if we look at it, he carried his for from Abu Dhabi last season)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Count this.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Peter wrote:Colin Kolles should be given a beer for his work.

Yeah, whilst sitting on his armchair, at home.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Code: Select all

Vitaly Petrov- 426
Sergio Perez- 374
Sauber- 22
Sebastien Buemi- 16
Heidfeld- 10
Sauber's Strategy- 10
HRT- 6
Massa- 6
Di Resta- 6
Petrov's maturity- 6
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Late to to party as usual, but I nominate.

Perez - Despite being disqualified the Sauber team did an amazing job and Perez looked after the tyres to score and unscore points.

Kobayashi - As he was the second half of Sauber... ;)
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes