Your Infinite Improbablity Drive Of The Race - Malaysia

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Your Infinite Improbablity Drive Of The Race - Malaysia

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Time to get this thread rolling:

1. Nick Heidfeld: Put the demons of Melbourne behind him to finish on the podium.
2. Heikki Kovalainen: Could have outqualified Maldonado and finished within half a second of Alguersuari at the end is no mean feat.
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 10 Apr 2011, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your IIDOTR - Malaysia

Post by shinji »

Heidfield
Di Resta - point on merit, Adrian who?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Shizuka

Re: Your IIDOTR - Malaysia

Post by Shizuka »

shinji wrote:Heidfield
Di Resta - point on merit, Adrian who?

My points exactly

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Cynon

Re: Your Infinite Improbablity Drive Of The Race - Malaysia

Post by Cynon »

Heidfeld - Beat Petrov, tied him on points after Petrov tried his hand at flying.
di Resta - Dario Franchitti said that Di Resta was something special. He's making Sutil look like an overrated piece of garbage...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

1. Heidfeld
2. Di Resta
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1) Nick Heidfeld: - I'd predicted he'd be reject of the race, to blast off the start to second and race patiently to third while fending off Webber at his lightning fastest was simply awesome

2) Paul DiResta: - With the cars ahead I was expecting him to either finish where he started or fall back two places, here he constantly duelled with, and passed, the likes of Rosberg, Schumacher and Kobayashi, fantastic for only second race in F!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

1. Heidfeld, for getting P3 and pretending that it was P1 when he heard the German national anthem played while on the podium.

2. Liuzzi, for almost finishing the race and CRUSHING D'Ambrosio, Trulli, Perez, Karthikeyan, and at&t Williams Formula 1 Team!

The latter is an awesome feat considering they were THE dominant force in F1 almost 20 years ago.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Cynon wrote:Heidfeld - Beat Petrov, tied him on points after Petrov tried his hand at flying.
di Resta - Dario Franchitti said that Di Resta was something special. He's making Sutil look like an overrated piece of garbage...

I agree with the above nominations. I also agree with the way Di Resta made Sutil look, which incidentally is exactly what I think of him.'
Wait. I agreed with Cynon? Goddammit.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

McDuck wrote:1. Heidfeld, for getting P3 and pretending that it was P1 when he heard the German national anthem played while on the podium.

2. Liuzzi, for almost finishing the race and CRUSHING D'Ambrosio, Trulli, Perez, Karthikeyan, and at&t Williams Formula 1 Team!

The latter is an awesome feat considering they were THE dominant force in F1 almost 20 years ago.

To be fair, Liuzzi only beat those other cars because they were no longer running. If Seb had retired, Liuzzi would have crushed him too by the same definition. In truth, they just weren't running any more and Liuzzi came last.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DonTirri wrote:
Cynon wrote:Heidfeld - Beat Petrov, tied him on points after Petrov tried his hand at flying.

I agree with the above nominations. I also agree with the way Di Resta made Sutil look, which incidentally is exactly what I think of him.'
Wait. I agreed with Cynon? Goddammit.

If it helps a certain Giancarlo Fisichella has also made Sutil look like rubbish... and we all know how good he is. :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

fjackdaw wrote:To be fair, Liuzzi only beat those other cars because they were no longer running. If Seb had retired, Liuzzi would have crushed him too by the same definition. In truth, they just weren't running any more and Liuzzi came last.

True, but your 'glass half empty' valid point isn't helping Hispania get any more sponsors. There could be a few rich multi-billionaires reading f1rejects trying to decide if they want to start dumping millions of dollars into this promising quasi-giant killing upstart. :mrgreen: ;)
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

McDuck wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:To be fair, Liuzzi only beat those other cars because they were no longer running. If Seb had retired, Liuzzi would have crushed him too by the same definition. In truth, they just weren't running any more and Liuzzi came last.

True, but your 'glass half empty' valid point isn't helping Hispania get any more sponsors. There could be a few rich multi-billionaires reading f1rejects trying to decide if they want to start dumping millions of dollars into this promising quasi-giant killing upstart. :mrgreen: ;)

I admire your optimism :lol:
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Heidfeld Changing-of-the-guard at Renault. Fantastic start and brilliant defending to finish.
Kobayashi Made 2 stops work even with used Q3 tyres. Also great battles with MSC.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

1. Heidfeld - Very solid drive.
2. Massa - Should have been 3rd if it wasn't for botched pitstop, despite Ferrari's poor pace.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

1. Heidfeld
2. Kobayashi
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

1. Mark Webber - For not having KERS, and struggling a bit with tyres, deciding to make 4 stops as Plan A, he did a good race.
2. Lotus - They have closed to the mid-pack.
Marco

Post by Marco »

1. Kovalainen - He finished just half a second behind Alguersuari and actually had a better best laptime!
2. Team Lotus for closing the gap to the midfield after the dismal showing in australia.

PS: About DiResta trashing Sutil - I don't know whether it was mentioned in international broadcast (it certainly wasn't in the German one, but thats hardly surprising) but Sutil had to change his wing early in the race, so he had to get past the "new" Teams and junior cows and did the rest of the race also on two stops, so it's not as if he was beaten on pure race pace.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Heidfeld - I think I'm slightly less bored by him.
Team Lotus - slowly crawling up the field.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Heidfeld drove well and redeemed himself after Melborne. Great start. But cannot really be classed as IIDOTR because it wasn't improbable. At he end of the day he's a vastly experienced driver in what we suspect is a very good car. He should be doing well.

My nomination goes to Di Resta. Rookie and has got points in both of his first races, as well as outpacing his teammate. Thats exceptional.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Di Resta - not because he's British, but because he is continually surprising me. Numerous clean scraps in the midfield throughout the race, and comfortably beating his teammate, who despite my derision on this very forum, I didn't think was that bad, just pretty average. He's being shown up terribly by a complete rookie in a team he's been in his entire career. Well done Paul! :)

2. Kobayashi - only two stops and a solid race with plenty of overtaking as you'd expect. I thought perhaps the strategy from Perez in Australia was a one-off but it seems not. Great tyre management from Sauber and a good aggressive drive from Kamui!

Heidfeld doesn't deserve it in my opinion because we know the Renault is clearly a good car and from Petrov's performance last time out, I think we can expect many similar results throughout the rest of the season.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Massa - had upper hand on Alonso in early parts of the races, bad pit stop dropped him back but Alonso's mistake then brought him back ahead of his team-mate.

2. Heidfeld - brilliant start and no major mistakes, deservedly on the podium.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

While I didn't see a completely ye gods amazing performance that stands out above the rest, I'm going with Paul di Resta as well - second F1 race, another point in a car that is near the back of the midfield, and this time he didn't need any other cars to be disqualified to get it.

And while we're here, a statement from Nick Heidfeld:
"Ja, I am vewy happy to be on the podium, and I am hoping ze people of ze F1 Wejects fowum vill find me a bit less bowing now."

A lot of me wanted to see him get that elusive first win, even if it looks like it can't possibly happen with The Finger storming off into the sunset the way Nigel Mansell used to 19 years ago. If it ever happens, I'll give him Infinite Improbability Drive Of The Entire Career.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

1. Heidfeld
2. Massa
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Paul di Resta - Another solid drive for him, proving beyond a doubt he deserves to be in F1
2. Nick Heidfeld - I am slightly excited by Nick Heidfeld.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

1. Kobayashi - best of the rest, beats both Mercedes, sees off much-hyped young team-mate with style.
2. di Resta - that car is further down the pecking order than he is making it look. A great point and he thrashed Sutil (even taking into account Sutil's problems).

Heidfeld is not IIDOTR because I expected him to go well. I believe in Nick Heidfeld!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1. Renault - Even without the focusing energies of Kubica, they're at least a match for Ferrari on genuine pace. Two podiums in a row and but for Petrov remembering he's supposed to be a bit of a twit, a double points finish.

2. Di Riesta - A solid drive and points finish, ocassionally threatening to trouble Kobayashi and Schumacher.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Heidfeld: Less so because of performance, although that was impressive, but for that start. Amazing stuff.

2) di Resta: Strong showing in a slower team, beating Sutil in the process. Quiet but notable performance.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

1. Heidfeld - Third place? In a Renault? I see more coming from Renault...

2. Schumacher - For some very odd reason I am surprised by Schumacher's pace in this race.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

JeremyMcClean wrote:1. Heidfeld - Third place? In a Renault? I see more coming from Renault...

2. Schumacher - For some very odd reason I am surprised by Schumacher's pace in this race.

Could be something to do with the truck he's driving.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1) Heidfeld - Sorry for doubting you last time Nick, you're still great (and no, I'm not being sarcastic) Even gentlemanly enough to ensure Vettel got out first onto the podium. I would've tripped him up personally.

2) Webber - Nice of the BBC to wet themselves over Vettel having no KERS for half of the race and still winning. Um, Mark had no KERS for the whole race and had to pit 4 times as well. Great driving all race to nearly get a podium. I wonder how many overtakes he did in the race?
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:1. Heidfeld - Third place? In a Renault? I see more coming from Renault...

Could be something to do with the truck he's driving.

I can only imagine what Prost would have said about it - probably this:

Anyway, to the IIDOTR - my first nomination would be Nick Heidfeld, since he withstood considerable pressure from several drivers throughout the race (Alonso, Massa, Hamilton and Webber), but defended well against all of them and drove a solid race to a podium finish. Considering that he was under a lot of pressure after a troubled race in Melbourne, this race should have gone a fair way to answering his critics.
My second nominee would be Team Lotus, and especially Heikki - considering that the team is still relatively young and the car does have a few issues that need sorting out (see Trulli's clutch failure today), their pace was much closer to what we'd been hoping for (i.e just beginning to nip at the heels of the midfield). As has been pointed out, Heikki was actually catching Alguersuari very quickly in the final few laps (at a rate of several seconds a lap), and given another lap or two could have caught and passed him. In fact, for most of the race they were within sight of the tail of the midfield, so they are closing up in terms of pace, and with a few big upgrades planned for the European season, this might just be a sign that Team Lotus are finally getting to grips with the sport.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

1. Heidfeld - could have had a crisis of confidence going into this weekend but really turned it around in style!
2. HRT - I thought they could get Liuzzi on the grid maybe, but not Karthikeyan as well. Liuzzi then made it home as well.

Honourable mentions to Lotus, Webber, Button, and di Resta
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

1. Webber - couple of nice overtaking moves being handicapped
2. Heidfeld - well, I was expecting something like that, but no real other contenders for this second place. And he made me happy. :)
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

watka wrote:2. HRT - I thought they could get Liuzzi on the grid maybe, but not Karthikeyan as well. Liuzzi then made it home as well.

Sorry, he did retire.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Kovaleinen

DiResta

Not Heidfeld, I predicted exactly this result!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1) Di Resta: Excellent drive from him (and Sutil too, who started 16th). The Force India-Williams battle is not over yet it seems.
2) Massa: For holding off Alonso and finishing ahead of him.

Honorable mentions:
- Heidfeld for getting that podium after a very professional drive.
- HRT for getting both cars on the grid. Now, let's see them finish a race.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wizzie wrote:Time to get this thread rolling:

1. Nick Heidfeld: Put the demons of Melbourne behind him to finish on the podium.
2. Heikki Kovalainen: Could have outqualified Maldonado and finished within half a second of Alguersuari at the end is no mean feat.

I give the nod to Kovalainen. I would have expected a good run from Heidfeld.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I am going to nominate Petrov for his amazing lift off! :lol:

I am joking, of course. For IIDOTR I would nominate Di Resta and Kobayashi.

Di Resta - What an excellent start of the season. His second race and already showing that Sutil is really nothing special. I expect him to improve and probably end Sutil dreams of a big team drive.

Kobayashi - Best of the rest with a solid and mature drive beating Schumacher in a straight fight too (even though this is not what it was used to be).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Nick Heidfeld: I wasn't expecting him to bounce back like that. He had a fabulous race; if he keeps driving like that all season he may as well end up winning a race!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Kovalainen - Did a decent job in Q1 and set a faster lap in the race than Alguersuari.

Renault - You, good sirs, have created a very good car indeed. (still don't like the Lotus politics, but oh well.)

And Herr Heidfeld, you made me a very happy man. Please win the title for me :D
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...