Top "Reject" moments from leading drivers

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Top "Reject" moments from leading drivers

Post by DanielPT »

Hamilton parking his car in the gravel next to the pit entry in China 2007 wasn't mentioned yet.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

DanielPT wrote:Hamilton parking his car in the gravel next to the pit entry in China 2007 wasn't mentioned yet.

I remember in FP2 for the 2009 race, Rosberg also did exactly the same thing as Hamilton.

Anyway onto other examples...Quite liked it when Boutsen wiped out a couple of his own mechincs, during a pitstop in Brazil 1990 (I don't think anyone was hurt). My theory is they were taking the p*ss out of him, so he decided to get his own back at them... (joking of course)

Then there is the moment Mansell reversed down the pitlane in Estoril in 1989. What made this even more reject worth is when Mansell overshoots his pits orginally, you can see a Ferrari mechiaic come up to him & tell him not to resverse it, but old Nige simply decides to ignore him.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEbVrjLDMTk

Starts about 1:25. Step forward Gilles Villeneuve,Jacques Laffite and whoever decided starting the race halfway round the track...

And de Cesaris eliminating Caffi at USA '89. When you're in a little team and your team mate is likely to get a bagful of points, ramming him off when he's lapping you does not make you flavour of the month....
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

1982 Monaco Grand Prix
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Both German races for Damon Hill in 1995: spinning off stupidly on lap 2 at the Hockenheim while leading and his dramas at the Nürburgring compunded by an spin off the track while the onboard camera caught him with his hands in the head in utter shame! :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote:
And de Cesaris eliminating Caffi at USA '89. When you're in a little team and your team mate is likely to get a bagful of points, ramming him off when he's lapping you does not make you flavour of the month....

Oh Boy oh boy... how de Cesaris made me laugh with his antics in 1989. As well as that great example mentioned above, in particularly I remember him having a massive go at Nelson Piquet, whislt both cars were interlocked at Lowes hairpin, during the middle of the GP. :lol: De Cesaris was so angry, gesturing with his hands etc, I'm surprised he didn't just get out of the car & lamp Piquet.

IIRC wasn't it also De Cesaris that almost (accidently) wiped out Mansell's Ferrari in a Quali session at San Marino. I'm sure he wouldn't have been popular in Italy if he had.

Incidentially, I recently found out that De Cesaris had an eye defect which occasionally caused him temporary blindness (for about 0.5 seconds at a time, no more), which apparently is one of the reasons he was involved in so many accidents.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

JV had more than his fair share of Reject moments in F1. My particular favourite was his kamakaze move on Ralf Schumacher in front of his home crowd in Canada 2000. Funny thing is, Ralf had a dodgy leg in that race (due to his Monaco crash) yet JV appears to be aiming straight for Ralf's leg in that incident.

However it has to be said JV's biggest reject moment came, when he decided to embark upon a singing career. :lol:

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

ibsey wrote:Oh Boy oh boy... how de Cesaris made me laugh with his antics in 1989. As well as that great example mentioned above, in particularly I remember him having a massive go at Nelson Piquet, whislt both cars were interlocked at Lowes hairpin, during the middle of the GP. :lol: De Cesaris was so angry, gesturing with his hands etc, I'm surprised he didn't just get out of the car & lamp Piquet.

...but whatever James Hunt may have said about him, even de Crasheris wasn't so much of an idiot as to take a swing at the one driver everyone remembers for having a fight live on TV. Eliseo Salazar could only watch and hope it didn't happen again.

ibsey wrote:However it has to be said JV's biggest reject moment came, when he decided to embark upon a singing career. :lol:

I've heard about five seconds of JV's musical career. That was enough to show he deserves his own special page in the F1 Rejects Hall Of Shame!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dinizintheoven wrote:...but whatever James Hunt may have said about him, even de Crasheris wasn't so much of an idiot as to take a swing at the one driver everyone remembers for having a fight live on TV. Eliseo Salazar could only watch and hope it didn't happen again.

Indeed, whilst that same James Hunt once floored a marshal who tried to stop him crossing the track at Mosport Park in 1977. If you thought that was a one off. He also punched a fellow competitor in a F3 race in (IIRC) somewhere like Crystal Palace in the late 1960's / early 1970's.

In regards to the Salizar (apologies if I have mis spelt his name) & Piquet incident, I had heard a rumor that Piquet's BMW engine was about to blow up anyway soon after that. What I also heard was that Piquet had actually helped Salizar (a fellow South American) adjust to racing in Europe, before Salizar got into F1. That was one of the reasons why Piquet was so angry in Germany 1982.

However upon hearing that the BMW engine would have failed anyway, afterwards, Piquet later apologised to Salizar (seems a bit unlike Piquet to me), and thanked Salizar telling him that he actually did BMW a massive PR favour, in avoiding a BMW engine failure on home soil.

Can anyone confirm/deny this story?

Although these little fights could be considered reject moments because the drivers starting them, 'lost' it after they got brake-tested, blocked, punted or whatever. I must admit I am a 'fan' of a good old (honest) brawl now and then...

For instance I remember Senna punching Irvine after he unlapped himself (twice?)... And of course this isn't the right thing to do, it does show emotion and involvement.... And somehow I whish we would see this more often. No injuries and/or casualties but just well.... emotion!

It makes drivers so much more human when they loose it. Like Schumacher in 1998, the Belgian GP. He looked like he was about to lynch David Coulthard after he ran in to him ..... It's great when they drop their mask and act like most of us would do...rather than just sprout PR nonsense.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Or, they could just learn that punching people in just plain wrong, especially if you are a sportsman on job time, without thinking about what will people/the media will say.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

ibsey wrote:Indeed, whilst that same James Hunt once floored a marshal who tried to stop him crossing the track at Mosport Park in 1977.

...bah, I forgot that one. Still, when Shunt picked his fights it wasn't with someone who had already been seen fighting on TV. And de Crasheris wouldn't have taken a swing at him, either.

For instance I remember Senna punching Irvine after he unlapped himself (twice?)... And of course this isn't the right thing to do, it does show emotion and involvement...

...de Crasheris is running out of people to fight with.

Actually, did Senna and Prost ever have a proper fight, or was it just a war of words?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dinizintheoven wrote:[
Actually, did Senna and Prost ever have a proper fight, or was it just a war of words?

I don't think it ever came to blows. Although much has been written about the rivally between Prost & Senna, may people seem to forget that they started out 1988 as friends towards one another. So despite their growing rivally in subsquent years, there was no doubt that they respected each other's talent & ability. Furthermore on the grid Prior to the 1994 San Marino GP, Senna stated on French TV something like 'F1 was now boring without Alain Prost & that he missed the Frenchman & wanted him to return'.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dinizintheoven wrote:

No, never. Though Japan 1989 and 1990 were way worse than a million punch fights between both.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

ibsey wrote:In regards to the Salizar (apologies if I have mis spelt his name) & Piquet incident, I had heard a rumor that Piquet's BMW engine was about to blow up anyway soon after that. What I also heard was that Piquet had actually helped Salizar (a fellow South American) adjust to racing in Europe, before Salizar got into F1. That was one of the reasons why Piquet was so angry in Germany 1982.

However upon hearing that the BMW engine would have failed anyway, afterwards, Piquet later apologised to Salizar (seems a bit unlike Piquet to me), and thanked Salizar telling him that he actually did BMW a massive PR favour, in avoiding a BMW engine failure on home soil.

Yes, I read this in Autosport a few years ago (but don't ask me for any details more specific than that!).
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

midgrid wrote:
ibsey wrote:In regards to the Salizar (apologies if I have mis spelt his name) & Piquet incident, I had heard a rumor that Piquet's BMW engine was about to blow up anyway soon after that. What I also heard was that Piquet had actually helped Salizar (a fellow South American) adjust to racing in Europe, before Salizar got into F1. That was one of the reasons why Piquet was so angry in Germany 1982.

Yes, I read this in Autosport a few years ago (but don't ask me for any details more specific than that!).

It's also in the "Watch your ear" article on the F1 Rejects Website. :roll:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A top reject moment from a leading driver?

Alonso leading his home GP for a number of laps, but finishing the race lap without having encountered any problems, like punctures, failed DRS/KERS, etc.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dr-baker wrote:A top reject moment from a leading driver?

Alonso leading his home GP for a number of laps, but finishing the race lap without having encountered any problems, like punctures, failed DRS/KERS, etc.

Except for Ferrari's ineptness, that is.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Probably been said.

Mansells engine on the last lap at Canada. And people blamed him for celebrating to prematurely
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

ibsey wrote:
Indeed, whilst that same James Hunt once floored a marshal who tried to stop him crossing the track at Mosport Park in 1977. If you thought that was a one off. He also punched a fellow competitor in a F3 race in (IIRC) somewhere like Crystal Palace in the late 1960's / early 1970's.

Correct; 1970 with Dave Morgan after a last lap clash at North Tower.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Gerhard Berger for a rather optimistic move on Martin Brundle in the 1995 Canadian GP. He wasn't exactly leading, either, but at least a Ferrari won that race and that was a rather unusual occurence in the early half of the ninetees.

Damon Hill didn't get it and copied his manouvre a month later, in the British GP, taking out Schumacher and himself.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ferrim wrote:Gerhard Berger for a rather optimistic move on Martin Brundle in the 1995 Canadian GP. He wasn't exactly leading, either, but at least a Ferrari won that race and that was a rather unusual occurence in the early half of the ninetees.

Damon Hill didn't get it and copied his manouvre a month later, in the British GP, taking out Schumacher and himself.

Ferrari actually weren't bad in 1994 and 1995, definitely an improvement from the previous 3 years, but still behind Williams and Benetton. 1994 wasn't a world beating year for the prancing horse, but it was probably Brawnesque compared to the nightmare 92 and 93 seasons that they endured.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

redbulljack14 wrote:Ferrari actually weren't bad in 1994 and 1995, definitely an improvement from the previous 3 years, but still behind Williams and Benetton. 1994 wasn't a world beating year for the prancing horse, but it was probably Brawnesque compared to the nightmare 92 and 93 seasons that they endured.

It didn't hurt that the FIA banned all the drivers aids that year as well...Ferrari International Assistance is well named
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ferrim wrote:Gerhard Berger for a rather optimistic move on Martin Brundle in the 1995 Canadian GP. He wasn't exactly leading, either, but at least a Ferrari won that race and that was a rather unusual occurence in the early half of the ninetees.

Martin Brundle briefly talks about that incident in his book "working the wheel". He basically says that Berger apologied to Brundle afterwards blaming "issues" for that move on him. I'd love to know what issues Berger was refering to?

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

[quote="redbulljack14]
Ferrari actually weren't bad in 1994 and 1995, definitely an improvement from the previous 3 years, but still behind Williams and Benetton. 1994 wasn't a world beating year for the prancing horse, but it was probably Brawnesque compared to the nightmare 92 and 93 seasons that they endured.[/quote]

I remember when M Schumi 1st drove the 1995 Ferrari, he said he would have won the title easier in that car than in the 1995 Benetton (although that could have just been M Schumi being cocky & playing mind games with the opposition).

But I've always felt that had the 1995 Ferrari was a underrated car. If it had better realiablility at places like Monza / Spa /Spain / Suzuka, then Alesi just might have pushed Schumi a bit harder for the title. Although in the end I don't think Alesi would have won it though.

But I remember when the teams came to Hockenheim, in 1995 Alesi was only about 15 points off M Schumi, people felt he might be the dark horse. However perhaps my view is a little biased since I am an Alesi fan.

Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

If I’m not wrong, no one has mentioned:
- Schumacher crashing with Coulthard at Spa in 1998 while he was leading.
- Schumacher and Montoya crashing at Montecarlo in 2004 (they were 1st and 2nd if I’m not wrong).
- Montoya crashing with Raikkonen at the start (Indianapolis 2006).
- Hamilton and Rosberg in the pitlane (Canada 2008).
- Vettel at Abu Dhabi in 2011.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:- Schumacher and Montoya crashing at Montecarlo in 2004 (they were 1st and 2nd if I’m not wrong).

I believe Schumacher was 2nd and Montoya was a lap down. Michael had already effectively lost the race by this point because he didn't pit under the safety car which was brought out thanks to Ralf Schumacher and Fernando Alonso deciding that side by side in the tunnel was a good idea
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Wizzie wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:- Schumacher and Montoya crashing at Montecarlo in 2004 (they were 1st and 2nd if I’m not wrong).

I believe Schumacher was 2nd and Montoya was a lap down. Michael had already effectively lost the race by this point because he didn't pit under the safety car which was brought out thanks to Ralf Schumacher and Fernando Alonso deciding that side by side in the tunnel was a good idea

I didn't remember that Montoya was lapped... Anyway, if I'm not wrong again, Trulli was in 2nd place.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

On a simliar note there is the 'brake testing incident' at Monaco 2005 caused by JPM in saturday morning practice. JPM's excuse afterwards was just plain riducious (I've just posted it in the ricucious excuses thread, funny enough).

Also IIRC there was another funny incident in the race at Mirabeau where someone (sorry can't remember who it was) spun a minardi around which completely blocked the track.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I think that crash was caused the the ferrari's active suspension system failing (it certainly looked very unusual the way the car bottomed out when he left the pitlane).

Nigel Mansell had a great reject moment in free practice Brazil 1992, where he completely mis-judges an overtaking attempt on Senna, crashes heavily into the wall & almost puts himself out of the race as a result, from the injuries sustained.

Also Mansell & Senna had another incident at the final chicane at Canada in 1992, which caused Mansell to crash & retire. Mansell accused Senna of brake testing him & very much showed his disapproval of the incident a lap later.