Two DRS Zones for Canada and Europe

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Two DRS Zones for Canada and Europe

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Phoenix

Re: Two DRS Zones for Canada and Europe

Post by Phoenix »

I don't see it as a bad idea, but it will only (seems like) increment the number of detractors of the DRS that say that it makes overtaking way too easy.

By the way, is it me or it would be interesting if the one move rule was abolished with the introduction of DRS?
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

If it's two straights separated by a slow corner we could see quite a bit of overtake then re overtake. Factor in tyre wear and Canada could be comical...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

I quite like this idea. Many people hve complained that the main gimmick lies within the fact that the leading driver cannot use the DRS when the following can, which is seen as unfair. With two DRS zones, the car that has just been passed can fight back (theoretically), which could make things interesting as it could well see alot of battles for position through turns 1 and 2 in canada.
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Although in theory I don't mind two DRS zones, and I take the point about the passed driver being able to fight back, I'm not sure I'm liking all the tweaking as the season goes on. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The balance over the first four races, as a whole, was just about right. We now have Pirelli playing with the compounds, two DRS zones in future races, plus the FIA considering what to do with blown diffusers etc. All a bit much for me.
mario

Post by mario »

MansellsEyebrows wrote:I quite like this idea. Many people hve complained that the main gimmick lies within the fact that the leading driver cannot use the DRS when the following can, which is seen as unfair. With two DRS zones, the car that has just been passed can fight back (theoretically), which could make things interesting as it could well see alot of battles for position through turns 1 and 2 in canada.

The thing is, as far as I can tell there will still only be one detection point to activate the DRS (I believe it'll be on the approach to Turn 10 in Canada, for example) - the implication being that a driver could pass somebody on the run down to the final chicane, but still have the DRS available along the pit straight, despite being the leading, not the trailing driver.
If that is the case, then it might well mean that a driver could then use the DRS to open up a gap between himself and the driver he passed, which we did see happen once or twice in Malaysia - which I'd rather not see happen.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I am thinking that drivers may even not bother using the first zone in order to prevent a re-overtake later in the lap unless they are substantially quicker than the car ahead
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote:
MansellsEyebrows wrote:I quite like this idea. Many people hve complained that the main gimmick lies within the fact that the leading driver cannot use the DRS when the following can, which is seen as unfair. With two DRS zones, the car that has just been passed can fight back (theoretically), which could make things interesting as it could well see alot of battles for position through turns 1 and 2 in canada.

The thing is, as far as I can tell there will still only be one detection point to activate the DRS (I believe it'll be on the approach to Turn 10 in Canada, for example) - the implication being that a driver could pass somebody on the run down to the final chicane, but still have the DRS available along the pit straight, despite being the leading, not the trailing driver.
If that is the case, then it might well mean that a driver could then use the DRS to open up a gap between himself and the driver he passed, which we did see happen once or twice in Malaysia - which I'd rather not see happen.

I really hope that isn't the case - they surely had to think about this fact, and the trailing driver at the second DRS zone will be able to use the DRS to stick one back to the overtaking driver.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

For Valencia it's a perfect decision, the double-DRS in Montreal seems a bit too much, at least not needed in my opinion.
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

Phoenix wrote:
mario wrote:

I really hope that isn't the case - they surely had to think about this fact, and the trailing driver at the second DRS zone will be able to use the DRS to stick one back to the overtaking driver.

After having a second look at this, unfortunatly Mario seems to be right on this, with Whiting himself stating there would be one detection zone.

That's a real, real shame-and a major opportunity missed. But, as we've been endlessly reminded, DRS is a 'work-in-progress'. Let's hope they see sense and attempt to impliment such a system in the future.
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wouldn't it be easier if you could use DRS whenever you wanted to?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Wouldn't it be easier if you could use DRS whenever you wanted to?

OH&S says otherwise. :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.