Curious Toyota fact

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
IntegratorTypeR

Curious Toyota fact

Post by IntegratorTypeR »

They have the curious label of being the only team in F1 at the moment who have not won a race in any of their previous iterations. All the other teams, even Toro Rosso, Force India (when they were Jordan) have won a race at some point in their history.

So with their failure to convert a front row lockout in Bahrain into a win, will they be able to get that monkey off their back this year?
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Curious Toyota fact

Post by tristan1117 »

I think they are the new Honda. They will get poles, podiums and everything else except wins for awhile. They will get one win from Timo GLock, then fold because of the bad economy. I have bought the movie rights to Toyota vs. Honda: Clash of the Kinda Unsuccessful (in F1) Japanese Car Manufacturors.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Out of all the teams, that is the one I would have guessed most to have that particular fact.

Considering that I don't remember, though, what team WAS Toyota previously? Did they start their own at the beginning of 2002?
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Their car is in top 3 this year, I'm sure they will win atleast one race before end of season.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
IntegratorTypeR

Post by IntegratorTypeR »

Robbie wrote:Out of all the teams, that is the one I would have guessed most to have that particular fact.

Considering that I don't remember, though, what team WAS Toyota previously? Did they start their own at the beginning of 2002?

Well, yes, they did start a team from scratch for F1 in 2001 with a view to enter the championship in 2002.

Considering this is their 8th season of competition, shouldn't they have a win by now? Then again it took BAR/Honda that long before Button won in Hungary 06.

Here's a spin off question from that. Of all the teams that have won in F1, which has won in the shortest amount of time since their from scratch start-up? ie: teams that have been taken over by new management and then gone on to win ala Honda/Brawn GP are void. I'm thinking Mercedes in their debut year in the 50s? Stewart GP in their 3rd season of F1 racing in 1999?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

IntegratorTypeR wrote:
Robbie wrote:Out of all the teams, that is the one I would have guessed most to have that particular fact.

Well, yes, they did start a team from scratch for F1 in 2001 with a view to enter the championship in 2002.

Considering this is their 8th season of competition, shouldn't they have a win by now? Then again it took BAR/Honda that long before Button won in Hungary 06.

Here's a spin off question from that. Of all the teams that have won in F1, which has won in the shortest amount of time since their from scratch start-up? ie: teams that have been taken over by new management and then gone on to win ala Honda/Brawn GP are void. I'm thinking Mercedes in their debut year in the 50s? Stewart GP in their 3rd season of F1 racing in 1999?

Williams started over in 1977 after selling his team to Walter Wolf at the end of 1976 and the team won its first race in 1979.
Wolf ended up with Williams' old team but then started basically from scratch in 1977 and won its first race.
Renault started in 1977 and won its first race in 1979.
Eagle started in 1966 and won its first race in 1967.
Brabham started in 1962 and won 2 races in 1964.
Honda started in 1964 and won a race in 1965.
Ligier started in 1976 and won a race in 1977.

How about a team like March who also supplied customer cars? Started 1970 and a customer (Tyrrell) won a race that year. Same thing with Matra in 1968.
Tyrrell won a race on their first year with Matra and March cars and on their second year as a constructor (1971).
Last edited by Faustus on 27 Sep 2018, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Toyota have the 3rd best car at the time. Just look at how they moved through the field when starting at the back in Australia towards their P3, P4 finish, and how Glock moved through the field in Malaysia having started from the pitlane and ending up on the podium whilst not even the whole distance was run.
On average, a season sees 5 different race winners. So it's likely that one of the Toyota drivers will be among them.

If I remember correctly, the Toyota F1 operation was started in 2002 with the same people that were in Toyota's rally team before. That might explain the occasional off-track excursion in the past few years ...
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Yannick wrote:If I remember correctly, the Toyota F1 operation was started in 2002 with the same people that were in Toyota's rally team before. That might explain the occasional off-track excursion in the past few years ...

Not entirely correct. Toyota went on a huge recruitment drive. I remember the ads in Autosport and I know 3 people that left other F1 teams to go join Toyota for 2002.
Last edited by Faustus on 05 May 2009, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Yannick wrote:On average, a season sees 5 different race winners. So it's likely that one of the Toyota drivers will be among them.

And the other two for 2009 will be Webber and Hamilton?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Yannick wrote:On average, a season sees 5 different race winners. So it's likely that one of the Toyota drivers will be among them.

As long as they don't lie to the stewards.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

tristan1117 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

As long as they don't lie to the stewards.

Oh boy, Fernando and Filipe are not going to like this.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!