Rome GP

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
eagleash

Rome GP

Post by eagleash »

According to the BBC F1 website (via speed.com) an agreement has been signed for a Rome GP possibly in 2012.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -contract/
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CarlosFerreira

Re: Rome GP

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:According to the BBC F1 website (via speed.com) an agreement has been signed for a Rome GP possibly in 2012.

That's intriguing. I think Autosport isn't reporting it yet, which is even more intriguing.

I guess the fact is, Bernie needs to pay his debts and anyone who promises big money has his attention.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
eagleash wrote:According to the BBC F1 website (via speed.com) an agreement has been signed for a Rome GP possibly in 2012.

That's intriguing. I think Autosport isn't reporting it yet, which is even more intriguing.

I guess the fact is, Bernie needs to pay his debts and anyone who promises big money has his attention.

No,nor Collantine, crash.net or any of the other offerings via google reader. F1.fanatic/Autosport poss. focussing on quali etc.
Await developments.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

We've crossed this path before haven't we?

Rome gp was rumoured earlier this year...

As much as a london gp, or a Red square gp.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

ADx_Wales wrote:We've crossed this path before haven't we?

Very true, :) but this report says an agreement has been signed. But as you hint at, it may yet be conjecture as none of the other sites seem to have picked up on it so far.

Edit. motorsport.com (not always the most reliable site) are also saying that an agreement has "reportedly" been signed.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Will they use this layout?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I don't know why GT ever got rid of Rome Night
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

ADx_Wales wrote:We've crossed this path before haven't we?

It was "confirmed" by Ecclestone in March.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

J Washburn Stoker wrote:It was "confirmed" by Ecclestone in March.

And in december
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

The Rome in GTs 2 and 3 would be too narrow, if not the same width as the Citta Di Aria GT4 layout......now theres an idea.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

We'll see about this when the track is designed. Who is designing the track anyways?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

I don't know. But if you believe the italien media (big if), a planned layout already exists.
http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/gp- ... nque-anni/
Google Streetview has already mapped the area and it seems quite OK, a lot less sterile than many other recent venues.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A few years ago, it was announced that the British Grand Prix would be at Donington Park, with the announcement being made over the British Grand Prix weekend.
This year, it was (apparently) announced that a Roman Grand Prix would take place, with the announcement being made over the Italian Grand Prix weekend.

I think Bernie is playing games. Or else old news stories are being recycled (as already suggested above). I'll only believe it when Autosport and/or autosport.com report it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

P_Friesacher wrote:I don't know. But if you believe the italien media (big if), a planned layout already exists.
http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/gp- ... nque-anni/
Google Streetview has already mapped the area and it seems quite OK, a lot less sterile than many other recent venues.

It looks horrible!!! :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

P_Friesacher wrote:I don't know. But if you believe the italien media (big if), a planned layout already exists

That layout was floated ages ago.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Maybe the journalist misheard it as "Rrohh-mmaa-grrn-pri" when in fact Bernie was talking about the return of "Rrohh-mmaa-grrn-jjeann" ! :P
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Why no race in the vatican ?
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

f1-gast wrote:Why no race in the vatican ?

Pit babes.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Pit babes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Pit babes.

Well i know some movies where you see also those nons and they are well... say their a bit naughty !
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

f1-gast wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Pit babes.

Well i know some movies where you see also those nons and they are well... say their a bit naughty !

I see. You must be really popular in your local DVD shop. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
f1-gast wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:
Pit babes.

I see. You must be really popular in your local DVD shop. ;)

*Insert quote by Jeremy Clarkson about the Dutch here*
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Should this new race use the layout proposed a few (or more than a few) months ago, it might be actually be alright. I've actually walked the proposed layout of the track, in the EUR district of Rome, last October when I went there on holiday. Most of it is pretty wide, but a couple of areas are a bit tight.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Can we have this, please? 8-)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Pit babes.

Pit nuns, then ;) And the Popemobile as SC :lol:
cretoxyrhina wrote:Image

That circuit looks quite mickey mousey.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Rome has a huge history in oval racing. Circus Maximus used to be the premier racing facility in the world for probably even longer than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. F1 is not suited to ovals. Hence, I'd say let's run F1 in Monza and Mugello and hire the IZOD IndyCar Series to fulfill the Rome GP contract. With their considerable oval experience, they are the only ones who are capable of staging an event that the Roman audiences will enjoy. :mrgreen:
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yannick wrote:Rome has a huge history in oval racing. Circus Maximus used to be the premier racing facility in the world for probably even longer than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. F1 is not suited to ovals. Hence, I'd say let's run F1 in Monza and Mugello and hire the IZOD IndyCar Series to fulfill the Rome GP contract. With their considerable oval experience, they are the only ones who are capable of staging an event that the Roman audiences will enjoy. :mrgreen:

Silvio Berlusconi sitting high up in the stands, giving the thumbs down to any non-Ferrari driver and releasing the lions...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Whis

Post by Whis »

watka wrote:
Yannick wrote:Rome has a huge history in oval racing. Circus Maximus used to be the premier racing facility in the world for probably even longer than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. F1 is not suited to ovals. Hence, I'd say let's run F1 in Monza and Mugello and hire the IZOD IndyCar Series to fulfill the Rome GP contract. With their considerable oval experience, they are the only ones who are capable of staging an event that the Roman audiences will enjoy. :mrgreen:

Silvio Berlusconi sitting high up in the stands, giving the thumbs down to any non-Ferrari driver and releasing the lions...

what an horrible image. quite terrifying.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Isn't berlusconi the son of Mussolini ?
I see it, Berlusconi on the podium with his mafia face in mafia clothes saying something when non italian drivers come to the podium.
Solo le squadre italiane e piloti ammessi
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

f1-gast wrote:Isn't berlusconi the son of Mussolini ?

Erm, no.
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

Phoenix wrote:

Erm, no.

Metaphorically.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Erm, no.

Metaphorically.

Still no.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:

Erm, no.

No, Berlusconi is not related to Mussolini, although he does spend a fair amount of his time making appeals to the far right (as well as the nationalist fringe, like Lega Norda) to support his government. If anything, the man who has been closer to Mussolini would be Fini (the man who is currently trying to beat Berlusconi), who is a former Fascist, although that was a long time ago, and he has since repudiated those on the far right.

watka wrote:

Sorry to give the history lesson here, but the Romans never used the "thumbs down" sign to signify death - in fact, "thumbs up" was the sign to execute someone, whilst the sign to spare someone was a clenched fist (because the extended thumb represented a drawn sword, whilst the closed fist, with the thumb folded inside it, represented a sheathed sword). In addition, it would be quite expensive to train and equip a gladiator, and gladiatorial fights were often designed to be displays of skill and swordsmanship, so it would be rare for a gladiator to be executed.

Back on topic though - if we are to have a Rome GP, where would they fit it into the calendar? Logically, I can think of two possible time slots - either between the Monaco and Turkish GP's, so the teams could go from Monaco to Rome via truck and/or cargo ship, then across to the Adriatic coast and onto a cargo ship for Istanbul, or, alternatively, before or after Monza (although the Monza circuit owners might be uncomfortable about a Rome GP being so close to their race). The former would probably see the race held some time around May, whilst the latter would probably be in September, which sound like sensible times during the year to hold a race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:Back on topic though - if we are to have a Rome GP, where would they fit it into the calendar? Logically, I can think of two possible time slots - either between the Monaco and Turkish GP's, so the teams could go from Monaco to Rome via truck and/or cargo ship, then across to the Adriatic coast and onto a cargo ship for Istanbul, or, alternatively, before or after Monza (although the Monza circuit owners might be uncomfortable about a Rome GP being so close to their race). The former would probably see the race held some time around May, whilst the latter would probably be in September, which sound like sensible times during the year to hold a race.

So you're suggesting that the Roman GP would fit in approximately where the San Marino GP used to be? Makes sense to me...
MCard LOLA
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:Back on topic though - if we are to have a Rome GP, where would they fit it into the calendar? Logically, I can think of two possible time slots - either between the Monaco and Turkish GP's, so the teams could go from Monaco to Rome via truck and/or cargo ship, then across to the Adriatic coast and onto a cargo ship for Istanbul, or, alternatively, before or after Monza (although the Monza circuit owners might be uncomfortable about a Rome GP being so close to their race). The former would probably see the race held some time around May, whilst the latter would probably be in September, which sound like sensible times during the year to hold a race.

So you're suggesting that the Roman GP would fit in approximately where the San Marino GP used to be? Makes sense to me...

Going back to an original-shape Imola for the San Marino GP makes even more sense to me. I really miss the first-lap run up to and around Tosa :(
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Going back to an original-shape Imola for the San Marino GP makes even more sense to me. I really miss the first-lap run up to and around Tosa :(

True.
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

cretoxyrhina wrote:Can we have this, please? 8-)

Sorry everyone, this is completely and utterly off-topic, but can I just say, I really like cretoxyrhina's avatar. Awesome photo ... must have been a brilliant photographer.

Yes, I took the photo.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

eytl wrote:
cretoxyrhina wrote:Can we have this, please? 8-)

Sorry everyone, this is completely and utterly off-topic, but can I just say, I really like cretoxyrhina's avatar. Awesome photo ... must have been a brilliant photographer.

Yes, I took the photo.

Senior Grand Prix Analyst and F1Rejects Forum Vanity Specialist Enoch Law, everybody.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

thehemogoblin wrote:Senior Grand Prix Analyst and F1Rejects Forum Vanity Specialist Enoch Law, everybody.

Makes a change from the usual self-deprecation!
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

eytl wrote:
cretoxyrhina wrote:Sorry everyone, this is completely and utterly off-topic, but can I just say, I really like cretoxyrhina's avatar. Awesome photo ... must have been a brilliant photographer.

Yes, I took the photo.

That photo's your taken? Sorry, eytl, for not taking you premission beforehands...

I'm looking for Satrio Hermanto photos, and that photo just pictures him very well (let's face it, he's the most rubbish from all of the A1 Team Indonesia drivers)