Abu Dhabi Circuit

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Kobacrashi

Abu Dhabi Circuit

Post by Kobacrashi »

After hearing whitmarsh and others moaning about the lack of overtaking at the Yas Marina circuit i had a brainwave, or something similar.

Simply Run the circuit in reverse and all the long straights to medium speed corners would be reversed and the hairpin would then become an overtaking spot. Also the first backwards sector would be interesting.
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
P_Friesacher

Re: Abu Dhabi Circuit

Post by P_Friesacher »

Sadly, there is no runoff in any corners in the "city circuit"-part of the track (the part before start in finish) in this configuration. And, in contrast to Korea, there are actual buildings where the runoff might be. So, probably, no. Sounds nice, though.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Looking at that image, it does look a bit basic. From what I saw in the race, I think it has too many long straights.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Henrique wrote:Looking at that image, it does look a bit basic. From what I saw in the race, I think it has too many long straights.

Can you have too many long straights? :)

Places where a faster car might be able to close on a slower one + a bit of slip-streaming?
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

P_Friesacher wrote:Sadly, there is no runoff in any corners in the "city circuit"-part of the track (the part before start in finish) in this configuration. And, in contrast to Korea, there are actual buildings where the runoff might be. So, probably, no. Sounds nice, though.

It would be only a problem after the start, wouldn't it?
Because then we have the solution by using the other grid and pits in the middle of the circuit.

Though I think the circuit isn't that bad (maybe they could cut off the Schumacher-Liuzzi corner as they did after the accident in 2 or 3 laps), Kubica could eventually overtake twice and last year we saw some action from Kobayashi, too.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

eagleash wrote:Can you have too many long straights? :)

Places where a faster car might be able to close on a slower one + a bit of slip-streaming?

But they're also places where a faster car will pull away if it's the one in front - hence Alonso's trouble last sunday.
The problem is that the two overtaking points are both at the end of very long straights, so a car that's strong in the twisties has no chance.
Simply ditching the chicane before the hairpin could work, as a car that's been quicker in the twisty section will still be close as they come into the braking zone for it. The current chicane isn't enough of a stop to make a reasonable go at it, and then makes things worse by virtually guaranteeing that you have to go into the hairpin line astern.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

You do realise that the chicane is there to stop any brake failures flying into the stands, I can see the earlier chicane being used.

Thats what happens when someone creates a Monaco in the east, you get a Monaco in the middle east.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Well, tbh, with a brake failure there, you are pretty much doomed anyway,
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I think the whole thing is flawed. Just build a posh shopping mall there, it'll be a much more profitable and entertaining business.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Jordan192 wrote:
eagleash wrote:Can you have too many long straights? :)

But they're also places where a faster car will pull away if it's the one in front

A faster car might pull away from a slower one. In Motor Racing! Who'd have thought it. :)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

P_Friesacher wrote:Sadly, there is no runoff in any corners in the "city circuit"-part of the track (the part before start in finish) in this configuration. And, in contrast to Korea, there are actual buildings where the runoff might be. So, probably, no. Sounds nice, though.

Oh ffs, the less runoff the better...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Cynon wrote:Oh ffs, the less runoff the better...

As they liked to say in Montjuïc
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

It's not as bad as Singapore and Valencia, but it's one of those tracks that cannot be fixed easily.

There's one track that can easily replace this:

JEREZ

I hope I explained that easily.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

And that would be SO much better...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Myrvold wrote:Well, tbh, with a brake failure there, you are pretty much doomed anyway,

Look at the image again. Specifically, look at the numbering of the corners. The first turn becomes the last turn, because the circuit is now run in reverse. Any brake failures under the grandstand will be at relatively low speed. It's at the other end that you have to worry about; the image is cut off, but I removed the chicane before the hairpint (which now means it is after the hairpin).
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Phoenix wrote:I think the whole thing is flawed. Just build a posh shopping mall there, it'll be a much more profitable and entertaining business.

Dollars to donuts there already is a posh shopping mall at the circuit.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Myrvold wrote:Well, tbh, with a brake failure there, you are pretty much doomed anyway,

Look at the image again. Specifically, look at the numbering of the corners. The first turn becomes the last turn, because the circuit is now run in reverse. Any brake failures under the grandstand will be at relatively low speed. It's at the other end that you have to worry about; the image is cut off, but I removed the chicane before the hairpint (which now means it is after the hairpin).

So, in your plan, before going into the hairpin (12) the cars run along the straight from (11) to (12), a straight that is 3x longer than the current one (13 to 12), therefore reaching a much higher speed. How is it supposed to solve the problem of failing brakes, exactly?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

muttley wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

So, in your plan, before going into the hairpin (12) the cars run along the straight from (11) to (12), a straight that is 3x longer than the current one (13 to 12), therefore reaching a much higher speed. How is it supposed to solve the problem of failing brakes, exactly?

If Derek Daly survived that Zandvoort crash in 1980, I'm sure we don't have to worry about.