A Question On The Canadian GP

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Eryx

A Question On The Canadian GP

Post by Eryx »

Hi all i have a little question on the Canadian GP.

In 2010 we saw the start of the GP in well pitstop chaos....the tyres lasted about 9 laps or something right possibly a bit more...but...surely this race is going to be one of Very High Attrition as it could be a case of when the cars begin to rubber in the Pirelli's need replacing again we could see 4-5 pitstops in the first half of the race...either Pirelli will have to make the tyre allocations higher or drivers are going to have to somehow make worn out tyres last.... (could be 1 of those moments we see HRT,Virgin and Lotus in the points!) just wanted to know if anyone had any information on them?

much appriciated

Eryx :) x
Beauty is in the eye of the Badoer. :D
dinizintheoven

Re: A Question On The Canadian GP

Post by dinizintheoven »

Eryx wrote:could be 1 of those moments we see HRT,Virgin and Lotus in the points!

All at once? I'll be watching.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

I imagine Pirelli would be well aware of the higher-than-usual amount of tyre wear at Montreal, and will most likely make the tyre allocations higher as a result. I hope they don't however, I would love to see cars being forced to finish the race on intermediates or even full wets as a result of wearing out all their slicks over the course of the weekend!
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

This could end up being the most overhyped race since Bahrain 2010.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Didn't it rain overnight every night of that weekend? IIRC this prevented the circuit from rubbering in properly which exacerbated the tyre problems. Bridgestone also brought soft tyres to that race (I know there was Super-Soft, but I can't remember what the other one was, soft or medium?) so I would expect Pirelli to bring hard tyres this time around.

I am not expecting an exceptionally bad races as far as tyres are concerned, certainly no worse than Sepang (3 or 4 stops).
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Is it possible that the experimental ultra durable tyres that they were trying out in Malaysia (FP1 and FP2 I believe) could be used or are they committed to the 4 compounds they submitted at the start of the season?

On a side note, in the 2011 predictions thread I predicted the winner of the Canadian GP would run a 5 stop race.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

IdeFan wrote:Didn't it rain overnight every night of that weekend? IIRC this prevented the circuit from rubbering in properly which exacerbated the tyre problems. Bridgestone also brought soft tyres to that race (I know there was Super-Soft, but I can't remember what the other one was, soft or medium?) so I would expect Pirelli to bring hard tyres this time around.

I am not expecting an exceptionally bad races as far as tyres are concerned, certainly no worse than Sepang (3 or 4 stops).

TBH I can't remember if it did rain overnight last year, but I certainly recall that last year Friday & Saturday track temperatures were fairly low. Whereas come Sunday the temperatures were higher, which was part of the reason the track had not rubbered in as one would have expected come that stage of the weekend. However I think part of the problem was also the Candian track surface, in particular the type of tarmac they are forced to use.

The Candian race organisers are forced to use a completely different type of tarmac than other F1 tracks, because Montreal winter's can be bitterly cold (like -30 degrees) & their summers can become pretty hot also. Therefore these changes in temperature causes any normal track surface to break up within a relatively short time scale.

Therefore the Montreal surface proved to be very abbrasive on the 2010 slick tyres, which caused graining for most of the teams (particularly on the hard tyres). One of the biggest suprises from the 2010 race, was how quickly the hard tyres deterierated compared to the softs in the early stages of the race. You may recall that Red Bull started on the hard tyres expecting to go much longer than it rivals, before they had to make their 1st stop. However Red Bull were amazed at just how quickly the 'hards' wore out compared to the softs in the early stages.

With this in mind, therefore I question whether it is just a case of Pirelli bringing a harder compound than Bridgestone did last year? Perhaps it is more a case of Pirelli bringing a compound which will "bite" more into the abrasive surface (especially in colder temperatures), therefore lay more rubber down & thus not cause graining problems as easily as the Brigdestone's did.

On the question of what will happen this year, I agree with IdeFan in that I am not expecting an exceptionally bad race as far as tyres are concerned, certainly no worse than Sepang (3 or 4 stops). Personally I think any more than 4 stops & the race just becomes a pit stop fest, thus extermely difficult to read from a strategy point of view.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Whether or not the tyre issue happens, Canada is a great circuit that delivers excitement perhaps more than any other race, including Spa (dry weekends sometimes dull the action there). I expect DRS and Kers to play a part, and for some reason the nature of the circuit seems to inspire drivers to make passing moves all over. It's a circuit Herman Tilke is physiologically incapable of ever designing.

If the tyre issue does happen you've got traps like the S's off the back straight that seem to always catch rookies out and the wall of champions. That's before you get to the braking points on the hairpin and the long straight.

If the race is being hyped it's for a really good reason. All conventional wisdom dictates it will be exciting. Of course qualifying and where we are with the front running constructors dictates quite a lot as well.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

jackanderton wrote:Canada is a great circuit that delivers excitement perhaps more than any other race,

100% agree & Montreal is a great city also. Along with Spa it is my favourite race of any season.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

What if one set of Pirelli hard tyres turn out to last the entire race? Now that would be something... :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.