Your Reject of the Race - Singapore!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Singapore!

Post by Captain Hammer »

Take a bow, Renault!

[/thread]
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Collieafc

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Singapore!

Post by Collieafc »

The 3rd quali session. Only 7 cars out yet there were no problems. They have to think of something other than using more of your tire allocation, the current rules dont give you a reason to go out if you have no chance of top 5
Last edited by Collieafc on 24 Sep 2011, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A choice between Renault and those ridiculous chicanes at the moment.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Collieafc wrote:The 3rd quali session. Only 7 cars out yet there were no problems. They have to think of something other than using more of your tire allocation, the current rules dont give you a reason to go out if you have no chance of top 5

I agree. They definately should implement a rule to forbid this since it goes against the interests of the spectators and the business itself. If you're a F1 driver, you must attend all your compromises. Since teams are fined for not showing up at a single round, I don't know why they should allow this.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Early nomination for the kerbs. Although I'll no doubt change it for the race.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I agree about the qualifying session as a whole. Even prior to the Q3 debacle, I was wondering why there was a need for two separate sessions to determine positions 11-24? I think ultimately a move back to a single 1 hour format with a set amount of tyres for each driver would sort things out, either that or sort the mess of the tyre rules out, something that I've mentioned before in the past.

The turn 10/11/12 complex really is starting to get silly now though. BBC showed the footage of Raikkonen binning it in 2008 and there were no huge humps then and the cars were able to clear them relatively easy without taking off like a bloody jumbo jet. As far as I'm concerned it should be just a simple, fast left hander, leading into the right/left of 13 and 14 which would also be opened up to increase the speeds through those corners too.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:I agree about the qualifying session as a whole. Even prior to the Q3 debacle, I was wondering why there was a need for two separate sessions to determine positions 11-24? I think ultimately a move back to a single 1 hour format with a set amount of tyres for each driver would sort things out, either that or sort the mess of the tyre rules out, something that I've mentioned before in the past.

The turn 10/11/12 complex really is starting to get silly now though. BBC showed the footage of Raikkonen binning it in 2008 and there were no huge humps then and the cars were able to clear them relatively easy without taking off like a bloody jumbo jet. As far as I'm concerned it should be just a simple, fast left hander, leading into the right/left of 13 and 14 which would also be opened up to increase the speeds through those corners too.

IIRC, the reason for that chicane is due to the requirements for run off (basically, if that corner was a fast left hander, the run off area would have to be significantly increased, but the surrounding buildings prevent them from moving the barriers further back to make those adjustments). It also, I believe, particularly useful in slowing down the Porsche Supercup cars in the support races (remember, after all, that this circuit isn't used just by Formula 1 cars - other races also take place there over the race weekend). Still, it is a badly designed corner, especially with the higher kerbs they installed last year (the drivers had already been complaining about the kerbs before that); the lack of a crane tower makes it difficult to recover a crashed car from there (as we saw today with the red flag), and it does narrow the track down quite dangerously by forcing the drivers to have to stick to one line.

P.S. Before anybody complains about Tilke, I would like to point out that he isn't entirely responsible for the design of the track - it seems that KBR (the construction company responsible for building the venue) made their own modifications to the track in the design phase, so it's possible that they might have insisted on that design instead.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Phoenix wrote:
Collieafc wrote:The 3rd quali session. Only 7 cars out yet there were no problems. They have to think of something other than using more of your tire allocation, the current rules dont give you a reason to go out if you have no chance of top 5

I agree. They definately should implement a rule to forbid this since it goes against the interests of the spectators and the business itself. If you're a F1 driver, you must attend all your compromises. Since teams are fined for not showing up at a single round, I don't know why they should allow this.

I've already say this before, but implementing rules everywhere is never an elegant solution. Give them an incentive to go out and they will.
For example, a set of qualifying tyres to these who reach Q3; or scrap the "start the race on the tyre you qualified on" rule. The current qualifying format works exactly like this: an incentive for people to go out the whole time, instead of staying in the pits until the final minutes.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

After qualifying, I'd say McLaren and Ferrari jointly for tripping over each other in Q3 and giving pole position on a plate to Vettel. Way to go guys, NOT!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

GenII Capital Racing Partners' performance (or lack thereof) at the track that was instrumental to the current incarnation of the team (Re: Piquet Corner), is truly worth an early nomination. Here's hoping their race pace will be better. Or maybe they just need a safety car period at the right time?

Singapore never had such a problem with kerbs, or did they? So why this year?

But like at every other place, qualifying is too early to determine the award.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Yannick wrote:GenII Capital Racing Partners' performance (or lack thereof) at the track that was instrumental to the current incarnation of the team (Re: Piquet Corner), is truly worth an early nomination. Here's hoping their race pace will be better. Or maybe they just need a safety car period at the right time?

Singapore never had such a problem with kerbs, or did they? So why this year?

But like at every other place, qualifying is too early to determine the award.

Who's Renault's number 1 driver though?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
patrick

Post by patrick »

I still hate the Singapore sling (the stupid chicane thingy that took out kamui) but it seems I have few supporters, even Lewis Hamilton hasn't been mouthing off about it this year
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm going to give it to Lewis Hamilton. Once again, he shows a complete disrespect for other competitiors, compromising the start of Massa's flying lap for the sake of his own. For someone touted as being one of the smartest racers on the grid, I'm surprised Hamilton didn't see the sense in driving a little slower on his outlap to get some clear air. Instead, he muscled his way past Massa to get out of his dirty air, and found himself in Alonso's wake.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

So far, if it's not for Lewis Hamilton, it's for his mechanics. They were starting to get him ready for one last flying lap, but were too slow in the process and ended up packing everything away because Lewis was still in the garage with 1:38 left in the session.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I have to say Kobayashi or Hamilton so far.

James1978 wrote:After qualifying, I'd say McLaren and Ferrari jointly for tripping over each other in Q3 and giving pole position on a plate to Vettel. Way to go guys, NOT!

You can't really blame all of them for that. Button was the one that was stopping anyone going past him, and Massa and Alonso were stuck in a sandwich so couldn't do anything.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Renault's poor weekend seems to be continuing.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Hamilton for having more hits this season than all of the B-list celebrities on the grid combined.
-Abraham Lincoln
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Lewis powering into contention...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Hamilton; really foolish.

Drive through.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
ranig

Post by ranig »

Renault... pathetic race...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Definately Renault - Vitaly Petrov was trapped behind Fernandes-es and a Virgin for laps on end, even with the DRS and KERS. Likewise, Bruno Senna might have been in front of his team-mate, but he was otherwise absolutely nowhere.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

2. Hamilton - again?
1. Renault. Kovalainen finished ahead of Petrov. Senna just one ahead of Kovalainen. And this is a team that scored podiums earlier in the season.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

There were certainly many counter arguments for Hamilton's nomination today in the 2nd half of the race!

Schumacher made a clumsy move, but Perez did seem to move towards him and braked very early.

I think after Hamilton's good comeback, I have to give the award to Vitaly Petrov, who had an awful race after a Q1 knock-out yesterday. Finishing 15 seconds behind a Lotus is terrible, and his team-mate also thrashed him, even with a front wing change.
-Abraham Lincoln
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Petrov (and by extension Renault as a whole) were just nowhere today. Fighting with Kovalainen is not what the 5th-ranked team should be doing.

Other Possible Contenders:
Hamilton A clumsy overtake. But I think he fought back nicely
Barrichello/Kobayashi Overshadowed by their "inferior" teammates
Massa Challenging Virgin for the title of Mr. Anonymous. Lacked drive after the accident with Hamilton.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Dartanian wrote:Petrov (and by extension Renault as a whole) were just nowhere today. Fighting with Kovalainen is not what the 5th-ranked team should be doing.

Blame Renault. Neither driver could pass Kovalianen on-track, even with DRS and KERS. They had to wait until Kovalainen pitted to get back in front of him - but then, all that work would be undone when they themselves pitted.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

[*]1. Renault. Battling Lotus all race, not good for early podium setters! Petrov spent a large portion of the race behind d'ambroiso!

2.Ramilton.
Message me on Discord.
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Renault Beaten by a car with no KERS.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

I shall change my nomination to Renault as a whole.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Running into the backside of somebody. Hamilton did it. Schumacher did it more spectacularly. What was it for? A repair bill. These guys were too impatient. Timo Glock's unremarkable performance on a track he usually excels at deserves an honorary mention: beaten by D'Ambrosio in qualifying and damaging his rear suspension by slipping into the outside barrier of the Grandstand Underpass is not what his team expected this weekend.
Renault look like they are back to where they were when Fisi and Alex Wurz ran for them in their Benetton guise. That's sad. Maybe the flow of a little GenII Capital will help them for next year. They were slightly bored with Nick Heidfeld but who are they bored with now?

Still, those crashes mentioned above did cost the participants a lot of points. So the award should be found there somewhere.

And now, let me go on a forum hiatus for a while.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
RAK

Post by RAK »

Renault. That was just embarrassing.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
jpm

Post by jpm »

Dartanian wrote:Massa Challenging Virgin for the title of Mr. Anonymous. Lacked drive after the accident with Hamilton.

To be fair, it was hardly his fault; he did almost a whole lap with a puncture which probably caused more damage to aero or maybe even the suspension.

I'll nominate Renault again, and Alguersuari; outqualified and outraced again by Buemi, despite the fact that buemi missed much of practice due to his incident. Plus, Alguersuari had a lazy crash a few laps from home, (and was behind Kovie for much of the race; thats almost on Renault levels... ;) )
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Renault. On current form, Force India may overtake them for 5th in the Constructors.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I'll nominate Hamilton for doing exactly what the BBC commentators were at that moment talking about. A good fight back, but yet another stupid collision.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

As for Massa, while it did look bad that Hamilton ended so far ahead of him, I think that's more due to the difference between McLaren and Ferrari today. Just look at how much faster Button was than Alonso at the end - a 54 second gap!.
-Abraham Lincoln
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Renault/Genii/Group Bahar. Absolutely rubbish. Petrov beaten home by Kovalainen and seemingly rooted to 17-19 positions throughout the race.
Hamilton. He just doesn't learn. Ruined Massa's race and compromised his own with yet another ill-judged move. Whilst Button again quietly shows him up.
Torro Rosso. Like Renault, absolutely nowhere.
Rosberg for starting the chain of events that led to Schumi's crash.
Perez for what I saw, chopping in front of Schumi.
Last edited by Londoner on 25 Sep 2011, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

And what is Lotus doing to barely beat Lotus? So renault gets my nomination.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Renault are unbeaten for ROTR.

Some mentions:

-Hamilton, the Andrea de Cesaris of 2011.
-Brazilian TV commentators for some commentaries like: "Lotus, Virgin and Hispania are not F1 Teams".
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Easy choice this time IMO:

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Mine goes to the Singapore Race Officials for missing virtually all of the action. I mean seriously, yellow flag pops up nearly every 3 laps and there's never a replay to show why. How did Trulli and Alguersuari get an official warning, didn't see it. How did Massa pass Barrichello for 10th, didn't see it. When the battle for 7th heated up with 7 or 8 laps to go, we only saw that because Vettel came up to lap them. Utterly awful viewing, total joke.

Mentions to Renault for being an embarrassment.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I'll go for Hamilton on this one. By the way things are going, he's going to be on one of the "Reject of the Year" podiums for 2011.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.