Tracks you would like to see again or appear in F1 Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Tracks you would like to see again or appear in F1 Thread

Post by go_Rubens »

This thread is meant for your opinion on which tracks you would like to see in the Formula 1 World Championship, either back on the World Championship calendar after an absence from the calendar, or a completely new event (on an existent track, no new tracks) that may be an interesting site for an F1 race. You may come up with as many rejectful events as you like, and try to be logical and creative. I will be interested to see what ideas you come up with. Here are my picks:

For returning to the schedule: Either Paul Ricard or the Osterreichring/A-1 Ring/Red Bull Ring (I keep confusing myself.)

For being a newcomer to the schedule: Laguna Seca. Hey, this track was considered for F1 in 1989 before choosing the totally rejectful Phoenix track because the track was "too remote."

What are your ideas?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Re: Tracks you would like to see again or appear in F1 Threa

Post by dr-baker »

As I have said once or twice on here before (including my first ever post back in the day!), I would love to see the Manx TT Mountain circuit on the calendar. 37.73 miles (approx 61 km), lap record around 17 minutes/131 mph. A typical race distance of 190 miles could be done in 5 laps... Imagine what qualifying would be like! That would require a return to the one-hour format, and you would be lucky to get in more than two flying laps - if the Pirellis would last that long... Alternatively, and slightly more realistically for ridiculously long tracks, would be the 8-mile La Sarthe, because we all know F1 won't return to the Nordschleife...

And Bremgarten, but that would require a law change, plus a lot of rebuilding, I should imagine.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:As I have said once or twice on here before (including my first ever post back in the day!), I would love to see the Manx TT Mountain circuit on the calendar. 37.73 miles (approx 61 km), lap record around 17 minutes/131 mph. A typical race distance of 190 miles could be done in 5 laps... Imagine what qualifying would be like! That would require a return to the one-hour format, and you would be lucky to get in more than two flying laps - if the Pirellis would last that long... Alternatively, and slightly more realistically for ridiculously long tracks, would be the 8-mile La Sarthe, because we all know F1 won't return to the Nordschleife...

And Bremgarten, but that would require a law change, plus a lot of rebuilding, I should imagine.

I would love to see longer tracks, but with the strict FIA regulations on circuits, I doubt longer circuits than Spa will appear. Quite sad, really.

On a different note, your ideas are not that bad. If only the FIA weren't so strict with circuits...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote:
dr-baker wrote:As I have said once or twice on here before (including my first ever post back in the day!), I would love to see the Manx TT Mountain circuit on the calendar. 37.73 miles (approx 61 km), lap record around 17 minutes/131 mph. A typical race distance of 190 miles could be done in 5 laps... Imagine what qualifying would be like! That would require a return to the one-hour format, and you would be lucky to get in more than two flying laps - if the Pirellis would last that long... Alternatively, and slightly more realistically for ridiculously long tracks, would be the 8-mile La Sarthe, because we all know F1 won't return to the Nordschleife...

I would love to see longer tracks, but with the strict FIA regulations on circuits, I doubt longer circuits than Spa will appear. Quite sad, really.

On a different note, your ideas are not that bad. If only the FIA weren't so strict with circuits...

Wonder if La Sarthe would work on the same weekend as the 24 Hours? Marshalling presumably wouldn't be too much of a problem, nor rescue crews...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Wonder if La Sarthe would work on the same weekend as the 24 Hours? Marshalling presumably wouldn't be too much of a problem, nor rescue crews...

The F1 race would have to be late in the day Sunday or early Saturday morning. Only the Sunday afternoon idea would work as long as the FIA aren't total idiots about the idea of a very wet race. I agree about the marshalling and rescue crews.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Can anybody tell me how much of La Sarthe is floodlit, and how much reliance there is on the cars' headlights (the sportscars, obviously, not the single-seaters...)? Not all the track is lit, is it? So F1 couldn't go into Sunday dusk?
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:Can anybody tell me how much of La Sarthe is floodlit, and how much reliance there is on the cars' headlights (the sportscars, obviously, not the single-seaters...)? Not all the track is lit, is it? So F1 couldn't go into Sunday dusk?

There are random places where there are floodlights but not on the whole 13.7 km. The headlights on the sportscars are very bright, and the few floodlights don't make any difference for the most part.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

How about a race at Mount Panorama?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wizzie wrote:How about a race at Mount Panorama?

That race would be crazy. I would be all for it though. The mountain would see plenty of action, plus there are two long straights and the Chase. That would be excitement. Plus, the race would be at Australia's most famous track apart from Melbourne, and Melbourne may not even stay on the calendar.

On the bad side, the FIA may want asphalt runoff at the top of the mountain, but there is no chance in hell that'll happen.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

For me it would have to be Watkins Glen. Cool track with plenty of elevation changes. Loads of history too. Plus it's relatively close to my house. Not as close as Indy, but I never liked Indy anyway. :)
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Paul Ricard or Magny Cours. either one could have one almighty DRS Drag-strip with one hell of a passing corner immediately following.
also Indianapolis, but not the old layout with those two lazy hairpins, the new one that Grand Am just used. the first DRS zone would be the infield straight between turns 7 and 8, the second is a no-brainer, starting just before or in the middle of the final corner in the banking and running aaallll the way down the front straight. THAT would be awesome.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Hound55 wrote:For me it would have to be Watkins Glen. Cool track with plenty of elevation changes. Loads of history too. Plus it's relatively close to my house. Not as close as Indy, but I never liked Indy anyway. :)

Too bad Bernie only wants Tilke tracks to bring F1 to a country. Tilke has too many tracks that are basically identical. I would love to see the Glen back. It has asphalt runoff like most of today's tracks. It has some good safety features that bring the Glen up to code. Why not? By the way, if F1 returns to the Glen, I live in a neighboring state, fairly close, so the race would be a no-brainer for me. Should F1 return to the Glen? I am all for it. COTA is good, but the Glen is better.

The best way to solve Bernie's issue with finding the perfect replacement for the Glen? Just go back!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

nome66 wrote:Paul Ricard or Magny Cours. either one could have one almighty DRS Drag-strip with one hell of a passing corner immediately following.
also Indianapolis, but not the old layout with those two lazy hairpins, the new one that Grand Am just used. the first DRS zone would be the infield straight between turns 7 and 8, the second is a no-brainer, starting just before or in the middle of the final corner in the banking and running aaallll the way down the front straight. THAT would be awesome.

Agreed!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Hound55 wrote:For me it would have to be Watkins Glen. Cool track with plenty of elevation changes. Loads of history too. Plus it's relatively close to my house. Not as close as Indy, but I never liked Indy anyway. :)

And not a track like the Detroit GP course in downtown Detroit where a driver could make it into the points just by avoiding the walls.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

And not a track like the Detroit GP course in downtown Detroit where a driver could make it into the points just by avoiding the walls.

And not like COTA where you gain an advantage by going off the track. Today's tracks have way too much asphalt runoff.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Apparently the FIA has a limit on the corner setup each track has to have in regards to the first corner, if the first image on this wikipedia page is true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_course

Does this fact shed any light on how modern race courses under the FIA have changed over the years?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Apparently the FIA has a limit on the corner setup each track has to have in regards to the first corner, if the first image on this wikipedia page is true:

Does this fact shed any light on how modern race courses under the FIA have changed over the years?

I even wonder if this rule was enforced when F1 last ran the old Spa (even though the track was changed for safety reasons) because I don't think Eau Rouge was a 45 degree angle in any part of the corner. I don't know of any tracks that were changed due to the reason of a corner not making FIA specifications besides maybe the redesign of the Monza first chicane in 2000 (if the former right hand kink was considered a corner.)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Apparently the FIA has a limit on the corner setup each track has to have in regards to the first corner, if the first image on this wikipedia page is true:

Looking further down the article gave me an idea: what if F1 raced at the Nardò Ring? Not the giant circle, the course in the forested southern part of the circle. I'd rather see a race there than Valencia, although to be fair that applies to any track.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Looking further down the article gave me an idea: what if F1 raced at the Nardò Ring? Not the giant circle, the course in the forested southern part of the circle. I'd rather see a race there than Valencia, although to be fair that applies to any track.

Anyone would not want to watch a race at Valencia. Boring track.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I have a bizarre idea:

How about looking at some of the courses and drive them in the reverse direction and if that changes anything?

For some reason I think that Valencia would be better in the reverse direction because yo would be taking the first few corners (now last few corners) considerably faster. I also think that the Indian Grand Prix and Shanghai course would have been a better course if in reverse as well.

Course this goes against the FIA first corner rules I pointed out, but if we put that aside I think some courses could be more interesting if raced in reverse
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 27 Mar 2013, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I have a bizarre idea:

How about looking at some of the courses and drive them in the reverse direction and if that changes anything?

For some reason I think that Valencia would be better in the reverse direction because yo would be taking the first few corners (now last few corners) considerably faster. I also think that the Indian Grand Prix would have been a better course if in reverse as well.

Course this goes against the FIA first corner rules I pointed out, but if we put that aside I think some courses could be more interesting if raced in reverse

How about Spa in reverse? The course would be an uphill climb and Eau Rouge backwards would be beast with the barriers up against the track. But, that may be a bad idea. What do you think?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Pescara!

PS Not really. Though a triangle shaped track would be nice.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Barbazza wrote:Pescara!

Interesting choice in Pescara. What an odd race that would be.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I'd like to see a super long-distance track back on the calendar. F1 at de la Sarthe in particular would be awesome.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:Wonder if La Sarthe would work on the same weekend as the 24 Hours? Marshalling presumably wouldn't be too much of a problem, nor rescue crews...

I am fairly sure that the ACO has made it clear that it would not, under any circumstances, want F1 to steal the limelight from the Le Mans 24 hours and would therefore never contemplate allowing F1 to use the La Sarthe circuit.

go_Rubens wrote:

Too bad Bernie only wants Tilke tracks to bring F1 to a country. Tilke has too many tracks that are basically identical. I would love to see the Glen back. It has asphalt runoff like most of today's tracks. It has some good safety features that bring the Glen up to code. Why not? By the way, if F1 returns to the Glen, I live in a neighboring state, fairly close, so the race would be a no-brainer for me. Should F1 return to the Glen? I am all for it. COTA is good, but the Glen is better.

The best way to solve Bernie's issue with finding the perfect replacement for the Glen? Just go back!

Safety has improved at Watkins Glen, that is true, but I don't think that it would be able to get a Grade 1 licence from the FIA to permit an F1 race to take place there. Equally, would the circuit owners be able to afford and F1 race? They bankrupted themselves back in 1981 because they racked up such a massive debt from the last F1 race in 1980 (they were said to owe the F1 teams about $800,000 in prize money at the time), and is it not the case that the official capacity of the circuit is relatively low, such that it would be quite difficult to make the event in any way profitable for the track owners?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Pescara is considered the hardest F1 track ever to have been raced on and racing there will be more manic than the Nordschelife!

Having said that it would be nice to have a race on public roads like going back to the origins of F1. I don't have many ideas for which roads though which hasn't already been suggested (a Manx GP would be epic). Maybe the original Spa circuit...

I'd like to see a couple of good street circuits come back, Adelaide as Australian GP and Montjuic Circuit as the Spanish GP
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

As johnnyCarwash said, I would like some good street circuits on the calendar. Also, more races on rural public roads like the old Spa and Mount Panorama would be good for F1. In fact, I hope the Mount Panorama track takes over for the Aussie GP. Really cool tack.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Enna-Pergusa. Remove the second and third chicane complexes. Huge DRS zones. Let the passing and re-passing begin.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

F1000X wrote:Enna-Pergusa. Remove the second and third chicane complexes. Huge DRS zones. Let the passing and re-passing begin.

Multiple DRS zones down the same straight!
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Oh, what about AVUS with two DRS zones, one down the length of each straight???
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:Enna-Pergusa. Remove the second and third chicane complexes. Huge DRS zones. Let the passing and re-passing begin.

This race may be a good slipstreaming race and good for DRS, but a Sicilian track surrounding a lake and a former site of the non-championship Mediterranean GP just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, or for modern F1.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Oh, what about AVUS with two DRS zones, one down the length of each straight???

No, because AVUS is a reject track and should be left to rot.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:Oh, what about AVUS with two DRS zones, one down the length of each straight???

When the AVUS was last used, the track had ridiculous chicanes, and the track is no longer in use now. I would love to revive the AVUS, but what are your thoughts for the DRS zone lengths be? I am only asking this if you want the AVUS with no chicanes, because the DRS zones may be too long.

But then there are also safety concerns and I don't think the North Curve is suitable to be driven by car right now, so the North curve would have to be repaved or revive the Wall of Death.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Who said the AVUS was a reject track?!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:

Who said the AVUS was a reject track?!

... me. Obviously. It's a horrible track, and claimed way too many lives.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander, the AVUS with today's safety features would not be a reject track. The AVUS is like the old Hockenheim without chicanes. The AVUS was last used in 1959 by F1 (and the only time, for that matter) and the death toll may have been high. But wouldn't the old Hock be cool without chicanes? It is the same here, lad. If the AVUS is a reject track, then the old Hockenheimring is a reject track for me, and that sucks.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AVUS has a history of horrible crashes and deaths, all the way up to it's closure in the 90s. The old Hockenheim didn't. AVUS is also boring as all hell - 2 straights, 2 hairpins. If you want that, just go all the way and go on an oval.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:AVUS has a history of horrible crashes and deaths, all the way up to it's closure in the 90s. The old Hockenheim didn't. AVUS is also boring as all hell - 2 straights, 2 hairpins. If you want that, just go all the way and go on an oval.

There was the Jean Behra accident and Keith O'dor accident plus other horrific crashes, but please name the other fatal accidents besides those two. I haven't found them. I haven't been convinced by you yet.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:AVUS has a history of horrible crashes and deaths, all the way up to it's closure in the 90s. The old Hockenheim didn't. AVUS is also boring as all hell - 2 straights, 2 hairpins. If you want that, just go all the way and go on an oval.

There was the Jean Behra accident and Keith O'dor accident plus other horrific crashes, but please name the other fatal accidents besides those two. I haven't found them. I haven't been convinced by you yet.

Here. And here. Less than I thought, but there's still my other point that you haven't addressed, and that's the fact that the track would be boring as hell for F1. Or anything, really.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

go_Rubens wrote:

Here. And here. Less than I thought, but there's still my other point that you haven't addressed, and that's the fact that the track would be boring as hell for F1. Or anything, really.

I personally see the AVUS as a great slipstreaming track with plenty of overtaking into the hairpins. The track layout may be dull, but the racing sholdn't be boring.

I don't tend to get fired up, but I am right now. I am trying to preserve the legacy of the AVUS. The AVUS is historic, and I can think of plenty of people who like the AVUS.
Last edited by go_Rubens on 28 Mar 2013, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool