The first female F1 driver in over 20 years?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

The first female F1 driver in over 20 years?

Post by Londoner »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22097043

I think the odds of seeing a woman on the grid in the next few years have just tumbled.

And if she does make it into F1, she'll most likely be the first F1 driver younger than myself, because she was born a month after me. :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The first female F1 driver in over 20 years?

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22097043

I think the odds of seeing a woman on the grid in the next few years have just tumbled.

And if she does make it into F1, she'll most likely be the first F1 driver younger than myself, because she was born a month after me. :shock:

Well, certainly she seems to be really talented. With the help of Red Bull she will probably fight for Championship honours and in three to four years doing some FPs in order to replace the next two poor souls who will eventually occupy the STR seats.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The next Verstappen!

Beitske 'Boss' Visserstappen
-*:-
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I can see her getting fast-tracked into F1. Why? Well, look at the facts. Exhibit A: Hiring a female driver would generate an enormous amount of publicity. Exhibit B: Red Bull are a team who thrive on media publicity. Exhibit C: She also appears to be a handy driver. I rest my case, your honour
TORA! TORA! TORA!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I can see her getting fast-tracked into F1. Why? Well, look at the facts. Exhibit A: Hiring a female driver would generate an enormous amount of publicity. Exhibit B: Red Bull are a team who thrive on media publicity. Exhibit C: She also appears to be a handy driver. I rest my case, your honour

D. Torro Rosso replace their drivers every couple of years regardless of performance, a seat is going to open up soon!
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

IdeFan wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:I can see her getting fast-tracked into F1. Why? Well, look at the facts. Exhibit A: Hiring a female driver would generate an enormous amount of publicity. Exhibit B: Red Bull are a team who thrive on media publicity. Exhibit C: She also appears to be a handy driver. I rest my case, your honour

D. Torro Rosso replace their drivers every couple of years regardless of performance, a seat is going to open up soon!

E. She is Dutch, this means she doesn't need to be a world-beater, as they somehow very often end up with lots of additional sponsors.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22097043

It is a promising step in the right direction, although we'd better not get ahead of ourselves just yet (yes, I know - somebody has to temper the enthusiasm).

Beitske Visser's results so far are reasonably good - she picked up two wins in the ADAC Formel Masters series and finished 8th in the series despite missing out on six heats - but she still has a long way to go before having a chance of getting into F1 given that the Formel Masters series mainly acts as a pathway into Formula 3. Speaking of which, what exactly will she be competing in this year? She seems to have moved on from the Masters series, but isn't listed in any of the logical series that would be the next step up (either the Open or FIA European F3 series or the German F3 series), and the article doesn't mention what she will be doing this year either.

Still, I would agree that this is a positive move from Red Bull - it is good to see somebody is prepared to put their money where their mouth is and take the gamble of supporting a promising female driver. I certainly hope that this does help her make here way up through the ranks, even if at times the Red Bull Young Driver program isn't always easy (as Brendon Hartley found out the hard way).

IdeFan wrote:

True, although most would say that da Costa's probably already being lined up in that instance.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Without even reading any comment it should go about Beitske Visser ?
Met her a couple of times at zandvoort back in the days, she's really really nice shame i lost her phone number.

But no she will not be the new Female F1 driver, for one reason, she made the big mistake to accept the help of Red Bull.
Why im saying this, look how many talents Red Bull had ? And there was just one real talent some guy called "Seb" by its mentor.
The rest well should we post all the people that where dumped by redbull.... there are a ot of examples of talents that actually saw their carreer destroyed by Redbull.
Redbull isnt even a formula 1 team, its 10times worser then Ferrari ni his behavior.
Sure i do hope Beitske will end up in the Formula 1 she really has the talent for it, and she deserved it.

But if i have to check it in Dutch F1 candidates, Max Verstappen got the best papers with papa Jos who still got warm connetions, also Nyck de Vries got great papers though i dont like this spoiled daddys paying all child.

For an Female driver in F1.. well im not that good informed, i know there are 2 scandinavian girls doing actually great but not sure if they will manage the F1.
Suzzy Wolf and so on dont have the talent to drive in the F1 only the connections and money.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

f1-gast wrote:Without even reading any comment it should go about Beitske Visser ?
Met her a couple of times at zandvoort back in the days, she's really really nice shame i lost her phone number.

But no she will not be the new Female F1 driver, for one reason, she made the big mistake to accept the help of Red Bull.
Why im saying this, look how many talents Red Bull had ? And there was just one real talent some guy called "Seb" by its mentor.
The rest well should we post all the people that where dumped by redbull.... there are a ot of examples of talents that actually saw their carreer destroyed by Redbull.
Redbull isnt even a formula 1 team, its 10times worser then Ferrari ni his behavior.
Sure i do hope Beitske will end up in the Formula 1 she really has the talent for it, and she deserved it.

But if i have to check it in Dutch F1 candidates, Max Verstappen got the best papers with papa Jos who still got warm connetions, also Nyck de Vries got great papers though i dont like this spoiled daddys paying all child.

For an Female driver in F1.. well im not that good informed, i know there are 2 scandinavian girls doing actually great but not sure if they will manage the F1.
Suzzy Wolf and so on dont have the talent to drive in the F1 only the connections and money.

Well, Red Bull are eventually going to need someone to replace Webber, although at this point in time, I think Antonio Felix da Costa is the favourite for that if he can seal off the FR3.5 title this year.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

f1-gast wrote:she's really really nice shame i lost her phone number.

Oh no it will be a bigger shame if she does make it to F1! :lol:
Last edited by Ed24 on 10 Apr 2013, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I'd love for her to make it to F1, but only on the back of some results, not "OMG she's a woman" pandemonium.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I'd love for her to make it to F1, but only on the back of some results, not "OMG she's a woman" pandemonium.

Agreed.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I'd love for her to make it to F1, but only on the back of some results, not "OMG she's a woman" pandemonium.

If only. Pandemonium is a prerequisite sadly just as it was with Hamiltons arrival. Only this time it'll be boobies not skin colour :roll:
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:

Agreed.

That is indeed true - the worst thing that could happen would be for a female driver to be promoted to F1 when she was clearly unfit for the role simply because of the publicity - i.e. like Amati was - because of the negative perception that it would create as a result.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Agreed.

That is indeed true - the worst thing that could happen would be for a female driver to be promoted to F1 when she was clearly unfit for the role simply because of the publicity - i.e. like Amati was - because of the negative perception that it would create as a result.

And why Maria de Villota was put in the Marussia. Massively out of her depth.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
And why Maria de Villota was put in the Marussia. Massively out of her depth.

And that had the results we all know...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:And why Maria de Villota was put in the Marussia. Massively out of her depth.

We dont know for sure if that was due to a lack of experience though, do we?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:And why Maria de Villota was put in the Marussia. Massively out of her depth.

We dont know for sure if that was due to a lack of experience though, do we?

No, but due to the same reason we can't rule out lack experience as a factor either. We all know she was very inexperienced Motorsport wise and these things tend to happen more if you are less experienced, of course. Think, for instance, of Mohammad Bin Sulayem who had more motorsport experience than Maria yet still crashed an F1 into the wall on a drag race...

EDIT: Meanwhile I have found this.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, exactly. It's not a pleasant subject to discuss and putting the blame on de Villota could be seen as unfair, but ultimately she should never have been in the car in the first place.

What really pisses me off are people who see female drivers and immediately push for them to do things way beyond their capabilities. I'm not being sexist by taking this view, I'm being a realist. When a good enough female driver comes along then they will have my full support, but I'm sick and tired of crap female drivers having sunshine blown up their arses and put in positions that cannot be justified on talent alone. The problem with taking this view is that people immediately accuse you of being sexist and denying female drivers the same opportunities as male drivers, when in fact the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:What really pisses me off are people who see female drivers and immediately push for them to do things way beyond their capabilities. I'm not being sexist by taking this view, I'm being a realist. When a good enough female driver comes along then they will have my full support, but I'm sick and tired of crap female drivers having sunshine blown up their arses and put in positions that cannot be justified on talent alone. The problem with taking this view is that people immediately accuse you of being sexist and denying female drivers the same opportunities as male drivers, when in fact the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

I completely agree with you. Looking at the world right now, there is pressure to put a woman in most man dominated jobs regardless of the background just to look good and more equal. People who take these decisions should ask themselves: "if she was a man, would I still accept her"? It is that easy. Obviously there still are some mentalities to change, but given the number of women that populate this forum and like motorsport in general it is no wonder there haven't been any female drivers in F1 recently. I also like to think Formula 1 people are logical and pragmatic and when a talented female racing driver comes in, like Beitske looks to be, and proves herself in lower formula, she will be given the same opportunities as a male counter-part. Putting a female driver into a F1 car just because of it, it is not giving the same opportunities as males, it is being ridiculous.

The lack of individuals is the problem here, just like what happens in IT. These days there are more women who share this passion, but it is still very unbalanced. 10 years ago, it was even worse. When I started my graduation, we were 90. Women? About 8. How can IT job creators give them to women? They can't magically make women become suddenly interested in it. HWNSNBM knows how I wanted to have more women as co-workers.

I always wanted to have at least a girl and a boy as kids one day. If that day eventually arrives, I will give both of them the same racing career opportunity. I sure hope that at least one of them is interested.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Beitske is the most talented female driver I've seen since..well I really don't know. Last year was her first season in cars. In a competitive series like the ADAC Formel Masters, she finished 8th overall despite missing several races due to injury.
This year, she's staying in the series, and could well become champion. Of course, there's another Red Bull Junior(South African driver Callan O'Keefe) in the same series, driving for the same team(Motopark/Lotus), so I predict a close fight between these two along with series veteran Jason Kremer.
If she does well, Red Bull will probably shift her to the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 next year, probably followed by European F3/GP3 and then of course, Formula Renault 3.5. With any luck, she could be in F1 at the age of 22 or 23..which would be really great.
Of course, there's no sense speculating, considering Red Bull's uncompromising policy of kicking out even semi-underperfomers..but I think that has changed. Look at Carlos Sainz, Jr. After a superb showing in 2011, where he won the Formula Renault 2.0 NEC title and runner-up to Robin Frijns in the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0, he was expected to win British F3 last year and emulating his predecessors Jaime Alguersuari, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne. Of course, the added distraction of a full F3 Euroseries campaign didn't help him, but finishing 6th overall was a big disappointment. He was beaten by Carlin teammates Jack Harvey, Jazeman Jaafar and Harry Tincknell. But Red Bull have restored their faith in him by shifting him to GP3, where he'll have to impress(read: win). This clearly shows that Red Bull are beginning to change their policy a bit, and I think they will probably do the same with Visser.
And anyone who thinks Visser is here just for being a woman, I'd tell him to please look up her ADAC season last year. Okay, she's no Marvin Kirchhofer(who I think is the next Schumacher), but she is certainly much better than Roy Nissany(son of the 'legendary' Chanoch, Roy finished behind Visser in 2012, despite it being his second year, and also contesting all the races). So there..
Also check this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP8tT6DQmUc
You'll see her carve her way through the karting field...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
RAK

Post by RAK »

DanielPT wrote:The lack of individuals is the problem here, just like what happens in IT. These days there are more women who share this passion, but it is still very unbalanced. 10 years ago, it was even worse. When I started my graduation, we were 90. Women? About 8. How can IT job creators give them to women? They can't magically make women become suddenly interested in it. HWNSNBM knows how I wanted to have more women as co-workers.

I'm studying IT part-time right now, and there's still a substantial gender imbalance in my course. The ratio of male-to-female students is at least 5:1, and about half of the females studying are already in IT jobs and are trying to enhance their credentials.

Of course, there's another endemic problem in IT, with everybody blathering on about Sheryl Sandberg. I have no problems whatsoever with a woman being at or near the top of an IT organisation; indeed, I welcome it. That doesn't change the unsettling truth that Ms. Sandberg has never studied computer science or information technology at tertiary level in her life. She is, in fact, an economist, and that puts out an uncomfortable message: "Sure, women can get to the head of IT organisations... but only by studying something completely unrelated to IT!"
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

RAK wrote:Of course, there's another endemic problem in IT, with everybody blathering on about Sheryl Sandberg. I have no problems whatsoever with a woman being at or near the top of an IT organisation; indeed, I welcome it. That doesn't change the unsettling truth that Ms. Sandberg has never studied computer science or information technology at tertiary level in her life. She is, in fact, an economist, and that puts out an uncomfortable message: "Sure, women can get to the head of IT organisations... but only by studying something completely unrelated to IT!"

Well, she was successful in her post at Google, had contact with the IT world and plenty of experience running some aspects of it (sales comes to the fore here), so I can see why Facebook took her on board. You see, my experience tells me that an IT company, growing and getting bigger all the time, also needs to be run by someone who understands other aspects of the business, like economics, bringing in outside the box thinking and a fresh point of view. Some of the best (read biggest) IT organizations were (are) run by what we deem true business man, like used to be in Microsoft with Bill Gates and in Apple with Steve Jobs, who were more like economists/marketeers than like IT despite the latter being where they originally came from. Besides, Mark Zuckerberg already shown he is out of his depth on that side after that whole Facebook flotation debacle. From the looks of it, he really needs a hand and as such I really see nothing wrong with that appointment.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AndreaModa wrote:What really pisses me off are people who see female drivers and immediately push for them to do things way beyond their capabilities. I'm not being sexist by taking this view, I'm being a realist. When a good enough female driver comes along then they will have my full support, but I'm sick and tired of crap female drivers having sunshine blown up their arses and put in positions that cannot be justified on talent alone. The problem with taking this view is that people immediately accuse you of being sexist and denying female drivers the same opportunities as male drivers, when in fact the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

Agree with this completely. A couple of weeks ago, I nearly had a big argument with one of my friends (who happens to be a feminist) in a politics lesson, because we were covering the subject of positive discrimination in feminism, and I pretty much put forward this view, that it should be the best person for the job regardless of anything else. Turned out the rest of the class had the same view as me, and I sit next to her in the lesson... :oops:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

As we're on the subject of female drivers,
why is Carmen Jorda still in GP3? The best female driver last season was clearly Alice Powell (who won the 1st round of the MSV F3 cup last weekend)

And already mentioned in the TV documentary topic as reviewed by dinizintheoven, people across the UK can now see this documentary about the rise of Susie Wolff on Sunday afternoon
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

johnnyCarwash wrote:As we're on the subject of female drivers,
why is Carmen Jorda still in GP3? The best female driver last season was clearly Alice Powell (who won the 1st round of the MSV F3 cup last weekend)

And already mentioned in the TV documentary topic as reviewed by dinizintheoven, people across the UK can now see this documentary about the rise of Susie Wolff on Sunday afternoon

Carmen Jorda is in GP3 for the same reason that Ma Qinghua, Sergio Canamasas, Rene Binder, Simon Trummer and Jake Rosenzweig are in GP2, or Luis sa Silva and Adderley Fong in GP3...

I don't think there is much need to expound on WHAT that is... the root of all evil... :evil:
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Interesting that this ihas come up... AutosportPlus have an article today on this very subject being discussed. And for those of you without a premium Autosport suscription, the summary is exactly as being concluded here, that a person should be judged on their own merits, regardless of sex or any other -ism. I still hope that Susie Wolff gets a one-off ride and that Alice Powell can go all the way to F1. I had not heard of this female Dutch driver before reading this thread, but the best of luck to her. At least she has backing to make it if she has the talent...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Interesting that this ihas come up... AutosportPlus have an article today on this very subject being discussed. And for those of you without a premium Autosport suscription, the summary is exactly as being concluded here, that a person should be judged on their own merits, regardless of sex or any other -ism. I still hope that Susie Wolff gets a one-off ride and that Alice Powell can go all the way to F1. I had not heard of this female Dutch driver before reading this thread, but the best of luck to her. At least she has backing to make it if she has the talent...

You do realise Susie Wolff actually making it to F1, even for a one-off, kind of contradicts the idea that women drivers should be given seats on merit and not just because they're women? Because she did absolutely nothing for 7 years in DTM. That is not the kind of record that recommends a place anywhere in F1, not even if she had oodles of cash on the scale of Maldonado's PDVSA sponsorship.
Everything's great.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Interesting that this ihas come up... AutosportPlus have an article today on this very subject being discussed. And for those of you without a premium Autosport suscription, the summary is exactly as being concluded here, that a person should be judged on their own merits, regardless of sex or any other -ism. I still hope that Susie Wolff gets a one-off ride and that Alice Powell can go all the way to F1. I had not heard of this female Dutch driver before reading this thread, but the best of luck to her. At least she has backing to make it if she has the talent...

You do realise Susie Wolff actually making it to F1, even for a one-off, kind of contradicts the idea that women drivers should be given seats on merit and not just because they're women? Because she did absolutely nothing for 7 years in DTM. That is not the kind of record that recommends a place anywhere in F1, not even if she had oodles of cash on the scale of Maldonado's PDVSA sponsorship.

Agreed. Susie Wolff is a bad driver, which is why that documentary on Susie Wolff that appeared on the BBC the other day made me, and surely others, burst out in fits of uncontrollable of mirth. Although Wolff (who I suspect married Toto just to get closer to F1, but as Thomas the Tank Engine used to say, that's a story for another time) driving in F1 would be reject gold, her getting a drive - even for a one-off - would make my 'best person for the job' mentality even stronger.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, agree on Susie Wolff, the epitome of the sort of practice I described above and dislike so much. There isn't a hope in hell of her ever getting a race drive, especially now Toto is out of the picture at Williams, because she has done nothing to deserve the seat whatsoever. The same applies for De Villota - everyone cheers when she gets the drive because "more females in F1 just has to be a good thing" whilst they all conveniently forget they have next to no results to back it all up.

As I said, I'm all for talented female drivers to get a shot in F1 when they deserve it, but when the headlines are constantly made by ageing, inexperienced and incapable women who, if they possessed a meat and two veg, wouldn't even come close to a GP2 drive let alone F1, then I'm afraid my pessimistic views shall continue to stand. There needs to be wholesale changes in the way women are perceived in motorsport, if they want equality, they need to be treated in the same way as male drivers of a comparable talent. Simple as that.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:You do realise Susie Wolff actually making it to F1, even for a one-off, kind of contradicts the idea that women drivers should be given seats on merit and not just because they're women? Because she did absolutely nothing for 7 years in DTM. That is not the kind of record that recommends a place anywhere in F1, not even if she had oodles of cash on the scale of Maldonado's PDVSA sponsorship.

Now, saying she did nothing isn't exactly true, is it? I mean, more than once I've seen her spin hopelessly like a beached turtle.

But yeah, saying she deserves a one-off Williams drive on merit is like saying Bruno Senna was in F1 on merit, or Karun Chandhok was in F1 on merit. The only reason she holds the role of development driver- incidentally, what the fu*k does a development driver do these days?- is because of the publicity and who she knows. Not her talent. And no, I'm not going to make an obvious "female talents" double-entendre. Sorry.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Thomas the Tank Engine used to say,

Did someone mention Tomas Enge?
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:

Well, both do spend most of their time surrounded in smoke :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

eurobrun wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Well, both do spend most of their time surrounded in smoke :lol:

Dude, Wheres My FIA Superlicence?
Just For One Day...
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

CoopsII wrote:Did someone mention Tomas Enge?

eurobrun wrote:Well, both do spend most of their time surrounded in smoke :lol:

CoopsII wrote:Dude, Wheres My FIA Superlicence?

sigged :lol:
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

...and so far no-one has mentioned Danica, far and away the best female driver in recent times.

I know that Bernie would like to see her in F1 and I think she would do a solid job if she commits to it and is given the time to learn, as F1 is very different to anything she has done so far.

(Awaits being shot down in flames....)

As for Beitske Visser - it is ridiculously early to make any comments on her in F1

DG
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Divina_Galica wrote:...and so far no-one has mentioned Danica, far and away the best female driver in recent times.

Incorrect. Simona de Silvestro is better than her.
Everything's great.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Divina_Galica wrote:...and so far no-one has mentioned Danica, far and away the best female driver in recent times.

Incorrect. Simona de Silvestro is better than her.

Not results wise, but is also true that Danica always drove for better teams that Simona in Indycar, at least. Also, Simona has more wins career wise.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

I know that Bernie would like to see her in F1 and I think she would do a solid job if she commits to it and is given the time to learn, as F1 is very different to anything she has done so far.

(Awaits being shot down in flames....)

As for Beitske Visser - it is ridiculously early to make any comments on her in F1

DG

And here come those flames. As Salamander said, de Silvestro is a much better driver than her. Fact. Although as DanielPT said she doesn't have the results to back it up, the cars she has had have been utterly abysmal of late, so it'd take a miracle to do something to stand out.

My personal opinion on Danica is that she is the ost over rated driver of the last 10 years. She is really a mediocre driver, an average, run of the mill driver, that has had her talent exaggerated by everyone jumping on the "she's a woman in motorsport, she must be good" band wagon. Granted, she may have the best results of any female driver of late, but it doesn't mean she's the best. And that's before we get onto her arrogant, spiteful personality and slutty photoshoots.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I am really longing to see a female F1 driver but I do have to agree that it is worth waiting for a really good one. I don't believe the ability is inferior at all if my record in karting is anything to go by (I was not the very quickest, but I could turn out consistent fast laps better than any of the blokes on my team).

There are some attitudes that need an overhaul. Not least Bernie himself who feels the need to comment on the appearance of every up and coming female driver. That and the whole "grid girls" culture doesn't sit well with me. I used to joke that if I made it to F1 I'd have a "grid hunk". But when Mini Lella watches F1 she sees the male drivers, and the girls with their cleavages clapping them as they go to the podium. It hardly says to her "this is a sport I could do". She's too young for karting but will go straight for the battery cars at the funfair and does have an affinity. However the biggest obstacle of all is finance - we simply aren't wealthy enough to consider karting and there's no facility near us despite us living practically on Goodwood's doorstep.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.