Bob Drake driver profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Bob Drake driver profile!

Post by eytl »

Hi everyone,

Our latest driver profile is now up. And what a story it is as well. Originally I chose to do the profile of Bob Drake because I knew he was the last man to drive the fabled Maserati 250F in a World Championship Grand Prix, and I thought that was profile-worthy enough. Little did I know that I would be unearthing the story of one of the most colourful characters to ever compete in F1, and whose life off the track was as exciting as it was on the circuits of Southern California, where he was one of the stars of the golden age of SoCal sports car racing. And, trust me, some of his exploits on the track were enthralling ...

This was the time when the likes of Phil Hill, Dan Gurney and Richie Ginther cut their teeth, when exotic European thoroughbreds went head-to-head against American junkyard specials, when larger-than-life drivers were matched by larger-than-life car owners. And Bob Drake was in amongst it all ... not to mention being a restaurateur, and a stunt driving double for Fred Astaire and Elvis Presley.

Trust me, his is quite some story. Enjoy the read!

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/drake/index.html

Cheers,
Enoch
tommykl

Re: Bob Drake driver profile!

Post by tommykl »

Brilliant read, as always Enoch :)

And now, guessing time based on your hints.

-Peter Walker
-Rewrite of Alex Zanardi
-Kazuyoshi Hoshino
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
W12

Post by W12 »

Brilliant work, Enoch! :)
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
mario

Post by mario »

I certainly enjoyed reading that - as you say, the further on you go, the more colourful the story becomes, and it is a remarkable account of a remarkable driver.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Why is there not a movie being made about him? O_o
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Wow, anything could happen in the 50s! Shame he didn't get a better shot at F1.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Awesome article, what a story. Loved those early days in America when you could bolt a bunch of utter shite together and go racing!

I must ask though, in your research did it say what driving Bob did on The Hollywood Knights? That is probably my favorite movie ever, so I'm curious.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A prancing donkey on his helmet, you said? :lol: Shame that there isn't a close-up photo of that...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

watka wrote:Wow, anything could happen in the 50s! Shame he didn't get a better shot at F1.

I think he was simply hampered by an obsolete car. I wonder what he could have done with a second race.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Wallio wrote:I must ask though, in your research did it say what driving Bob did on The Hollywood Knights? That is probably my favorite movie ever, so I'm curious.

I'm afraid I didn't find that out. The listings on the Internet Movie Database didn't go beyond simply saying that he was credited in that film. :(
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Another fine job - and it makes me wonder what the Grand Prix restaurant would be like were it to be conceived now. Certainly there'd be a lot more motorsport films to choose from, even if not all of them are genuine classics...

I suppose this is also a fine epitaph for the Maserati 250F. No arguments here, that car is (aesthetically at least) to the 50s what the Jordan 191 is to the 90s - and still looks right even in American racing colours.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

eytl wrote:
Wallio wrote:I must ask though, in your research did it say what driving Bob did on The Hollywood Knights? That is probably my favorite movie ever, so I'm curious.

I'm afraid I didn't find that out. The listings on the Internet Movie Database didn't go beyond simply saying that he was credited in that film. :(

I figured, but thanks for answering. And again, great article.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell