British government approves road racing

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

British government approves road racing

Post by Londoner »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10961513/Motorsport-to-be-allowed-on-Britains-public-roads-No-10-announces.html

Well, this will allow Formula E to race around Battersea next year, but it also unlocks a whole field of opportunities for motorsport in this country. We might even see a return of the Birmingham SuperPrix.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank you David Cameron. You've done a second good thing in your time as Prime Minister (the first was legalizing gay marriage). :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AxelP800

Re: British government approves road racing

Post by AxelP800 »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10961513/Motorsport-to-be-allowed-on-Britains-public-roads-No-10-announces.html

Well, this will allow Formula E to race around Battersea next year, but it also unlocks a whole field of opportunities for motorsport in this country. We might even see a return of the Birmingham SuperPrix.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank you David Cameron. You've done a second good thing in your time as Prime Minister (the first was legalizing gay marriage). :P

But how does the motorcycle road races in Northen Ireland and Isle of Man got allowed ?? :?
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AxelP800 wrote:But how does the motorcycle road races in Northen Ireland and Isle of Man got allowed ?? :?

Not sure about Dundrod (which is what I think you're referring to), but I think that technically, since the Isle of Man is a Crown Dependancy and self-governing, it can allow racing on street circuits independantly from the UK (any Brits can correct me).
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:But how does the motorcycle road races in Northen Ireland and Isle of Man got allowed ?? :?

Not sure about Dundrod (which is what I think you're referring to), but I think that technically, since the Isle of Man is a Crown Dependancy and self-governing, it can allow racing on street circuits independantly from the UK (any Brits can correct me).

You're right about the Isle of Man - the UK is responsible for the island's "good governance" and international relations and diplomacy, yet the Isle of Man is otherwise totally independent. There is a shared currency, of which the island produces their own notes and coins, but then most of the EU also share a currency... So basically the Isle of Man can set whatever rules it likes.

And as for Northern Ireland, I think the legislation stated something along the lines of no racing on the mainland. But then, that would allow racing on the Isle of Wight and Canvey Island? But then Ireland is a mainland, more significant a landmass than many outlying islands, so I don't know.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10961513/Motorsport-to-be-allowed-on-Britains-public-roads-No-10-announces.html

I think this is a great decision by the Prime Minister because like he said, this will bring lots of revenue into the economy. this could also potentially mean a GP in London because a few years ago, Bernie said that he would be happy to pay for a London GP out of his own pocket.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Don't forget that road racing in Ireland (both North and the Republic) is quite a big thing with a decent following. I suspect that it has been allowed to continue because of that and the value it brings.

Of course, whilst the government has passed this new law, it still requires the approval of miserable local councillors to get any route off the ground. And then you need a good bunch of organisers and promoters to make it work. But yeah, definitely a step in the right direction.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Given the utter incompetence of our local Council, and their lack of interest in anything that might constitute fun unless it is 'cultural' and meets the needs of every single community (or preferably both) - yes, you guessed it, we have a Labour run Council - then I would say there is 0% chance of a Birmingham Super Prix revival any time soon.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:Given the utter incompetence of our local Council, and their lack of interest in anything that might constitute fun unless it is 'cultural' and meets the needs of every single community (or preferably both) - yes, you guessed it, we have a Labour run Council - then I would say there is 0% chance of a Birmingham Super Prix revival any time soon.

Exactly - and if any sort of investment is required for it from the councils then you can forget it as well, because they're broke! It's only massive events like the Tour de France in Yorkshire or ones with significant backers that will happen because of the financial benefits to the area and the fact that others are willing to stump up the cash.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The BBC have got in on the act and are running an article on the likelihood of the Birmingham SuperPrix returning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28294418

Some interesting comments there, though by the end of the article the reality is hitting home about costs, broke councils, etc.

Now what we need is a massive, obscenely rich global organisation that flogs drastically life-reducing consumable products for pittance to kids in desperately poor countries, to back the event! Come on Marlboro, we know you're in there somewhere!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The article is reasonable and fair I would say, though the comments by the guy who used to do sport for Midlands Today are not, for the following reasons.

1) Midlands Today is consistently the worst regional programme the BBC offer - I know this because I have to watch the drivel. Except I don't, because I quite often watch ITV's superior offering instead (even though they cover some of the East Mids as well) or watch a different random region on my Sky box. Even the other regions that have less to cover make a much better job if it. This is an issue that quite annoys me, as you can tell.

2) He seems to be under the impression that bad weather and / or not many cars finishing means that an event is a disaster. Ermm....no, that usually makes it more interesting actually you tit.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:The article is reasonable and fair I would say, though the comments by the guy who used to do sport for Midlands Today are not, for the following reasons.

1) Midlands Today is consistently the worst regional programme the BBC offer - I know this because I have to watch the drivel. Except I don't, because I quite often watch ITV's superior offering instead (even though they cover some of the East Mids as well) or watch a different random region on my Sky box. Even the other regions that have less to cover make a much better job if it. This is an issue that quite annoys me, as you can tell.

2) He seems to be under the impression that bad weather and / or not many cars finishing means that an event is a disaster. Ermm....no, that usually makes it more interesting actually you tit.

Haha this is brilliant, I've said this before on here but I love your rants Barbazza! That one there made me laugh out loud, mainly because I can fully sympathise with your feelings on Midlands Today. I've grown up with that horseshit and watched it on an almost daily basis through my school years as my Dad insisted on seeing the news without fail! Now I'm down in Bristol though, I have to say Points West isn't much better. Having said that, pretty much all of the BBC's regional programming whether its TV or radio is crap isn't it? Anyone ever had the misfortune of listening to BBC Radio Solent? Woeful!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The Northern programmes tend to be better - the one for East Yorkshire / Lincolnshire, despite having one presenter, is actually quite brilliant.

But then the BBC (and the Government) love the North second only after London. Particularly Manchester for some reason. If there is a street race, I bet it ends up there....
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AndreaModa wrote:Now what we need is a massive, obscenely rich global organisation that flogs drastically life-reducing consumable products for pittance to kids in desperately poor countries, to back the event! Come on Marlboro, we know you're in there somewhere!

How dare you want tobacco sponsorship back? Don't you know that smokers are worse than Hitler? :P
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Hmmm...this doesn't really interest me much to be honest. Partly because it's a time trial and partly because when they shut the ring road, it's pretty difficult to get anywhere you want to be in Coventry (they do it for cycle races)
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Klon wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Now what we need is a massive, obscenely rich global organisation that flogs drastically life-reducing consumable products for pittance to kids in desperately poor countries, to back the event! Come on Marlboro, we know you're in there somewhere!

How dare you want tobacco sponsorship back? Don't you know that smokers are worse than Hitler? :P

I'd love to see the reaction of health organizations across the world if they did get a tobacco company to sponsor it. :lol:
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Barbazza wrote:

Hmmm...this doesn't really interest me much to be honest. Partly because it's a time trial and partly because when they shut the ring road, it's pretty difficult to get anywhere you want to be in Coventry (they do it for cycle races)

I am very excited about this, as I have one of the best (free!) seats in the house from my balcony, assuming they run it on this half of the ring road. Watch them have it completely on the other side now...