So, that leaves the second Mercedes

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jordan192

So, that leaves the second Mercedes

Post by Jordan192 »

Place ya bets! Place ya bets!

Top contender is probably Heidfeld now - and I'll be fair and say it's not just because of his passport. If you want an experienced driver to guide development of a younger hotshoe and sort your car out, there are two guys on the grid that stand out - and the other one's just been released and signed for Williams.

The Schumacher stories have a certain feelgod factor to them, but do just seem like fantasy - also, they're not quite crazy enough. I'm gonna go a step beyond and call it for Kubica. At the very least, I confidently and baselessly predict they won't make a decision until Renault go public with their future plans.

I bet Vettel's really glad he's under contract to Red Bull right now.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Warren Hughes

Re: So, that leaves the second Mercedes.

Post by Warren Hughes »

Does Kovalainen have a chance? Seems to me that the only top-line drivers who are available are Kovy, Heidfeld and Trulli. I agree that Heidfeld is probably the best choice, but they could do a lot worse than Heikki as a clear no. 2 to Rosberg IMO
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Whoa, hang on. Has Brawn signed Rosberg up yet? This is being one hell of a silly season; Kobayashi and Raikkonen for Brawn, anyone?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Whoa, hang on. Has Brawn signed Rosberg up yet? This is being one hell of a silly season; Kobayashi and Raikkonen for Brawn, anyone?

From the BBC:

Now renamed Mercedes Grand Prix, the team have already signed the German Nico Rosberg as one of their drivers.

His fellow German Nick Heidfeld is the favourite for the second seat.

As for Kimi:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 365967.stm
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Whoa, hang on. Has Brawn signed Rosberg up yet? This is being one hell of a silly season; Kobayashi and Raikkonen for Brawn, anyone?

From the BBC:

Now renamed Mercedes Grand Prix, the team have already signed the German Nico Rosberg as one of their drivers.

His fellow German Nick Heidfeld is the favourite for the second seat.

As for Kimi:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 365967.stm

Ah, OK. I had missed the news that Rosberg had been signed up in the middle of the mess.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Re: So, that leaves the second Mercedes

Post by Yannick »

Seeing Kimi leave the sport is not a nice sight. I'm sure he'd fit well into the Brawn/Mercedes.

Force 1ndia fans surely will rejoice at the thought of Raikkonen taking a sabbatical.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wait....I have a cunning plan. Put some/all of the drivers & some/all of the teams into a hat & draw lots. Or run an American style draft system. Whatever offers are on the table as of now stand for whoever is signed by a team. D or no D. You could get Noel Edmunds to run it. All done in 30 mins. It's about as logical as trying to turn the grid upside down every other race. :idea:
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Shame about Kimi...He was a charismatic character :cry:
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

I'll vote for Kobayashi.

A little on the wild side perhaps but he can be had for a song and it will prove Mercedes was serious when they said they wanted an "International" team. He could be signed for a year-on-year deal to give the team options for replacing him down the road.
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

So, 'Brawn' Mercedes have let two race winning drivers, (including the World Champ), leave the team and now have the prospect of Rosberg and Heidfeld to take on the line ups at the 3 other main challengers. Vettel & Webber, Button & Hamilton, Alonso & Massa..... all race winners and 3 champions! Have Mercedes made an awful cock up here?

The Silver Arrows driver line up looks a bit lightweight compared to that lot!
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Yannick wrote:Seeing Kimi leave the sport is not a nice sight.

For fear of sounding overly melodramatic, I've already done my grieving on his account. The aspects of Kimi that were worth getting excited about arguably left the sport 18 months ago.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Chewie wrote:

I believe they will do a decent job if the car's up to the task.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Is Sutil actually under contract for next year. I thought I heard him mentioned in connection with the Brawn/Merc drive?
German, already Merc powered...a bit of contract juggling?
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

de crasharis wrote:Is Sutil actually under contract for next year. I thought I heard him mentioned in connection with the Brawn/Merc drive?

I believe Sutil is contracted to Force India already. Nevertheless, I don't think Sutil is the kind of driver that mercedes are looking for. Sure he's quick, but in races he's proven to be a bit of a crash magnet and it would seem more sensible if they chose someone like Heidfeld who is guarenteed to bring the car home in one piece whilst not compromising his speed.
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:
de crasharis wrote:Is Sutil actually under contract for next year. I thought I heard him mentioned in connection with the Brawn/Merc drive?

I believe Sutil is contracted to Force India already. Nevertheless, I don't think Sutil is the kind of driver that mercedes are looking for. Sure he's quick, but in races he's proven to be a bit of a crash magnet and it would seem more sensible if they chose someone like Heidfeld who is guarenteed to bring the car home in one piece whilst not compromising his speed.

It's a fair point but I'm hoping to see a more mature Sutil next year. Heidfeld will definitely gain points finishes/podia....the car is going to be reliable.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Mercedes' other driver?
Michael Schumacher

:lol:

If I'm right, can I get a beer for this?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:Mercedes' other driver?
Michael Schumacher

It's been said before, so no. And am I wrong in thinking that you're like 17?

Underage drinking is wrong. Ask this guy.

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Michael Schumacher

That is such an outrageous prediction, that has already been denied by a spokeswoman (though if denials are anything to go by this year, then that's probably more like a confirmation that it will indeed happen) that if it will actually happen, I'll buy you a whole crate of beer.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Where's de la Rosa in all this? He could do a decent job for someone, one of the new teams perhaps. Has expeience as development driver.
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Warren Hughes wrote:Does Kovalainen have a chance? Seems to me that the only top-line drivers who are available are Kovy, Heidfeld and Trulli. I agree that Heidfeld is probably the best choice, but they could do a lot worse than Heikki as a clear no. 2 to Rosberg IMO

2005 GP2 Season, Kovalainen lost the championship to Rosberg. I doubt they'd be best buddies.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Chewie wrote:So, 'Brawn' Mercedes have let two race winning drivers, (including the World Champ), leave the team and now have the prospect of Rosberg and Heidfeld to take on the line ups at the 3 other main challengers. Vettel & Webber, Button & Hamilton, Alonso & Massa..... all race winners and 3 champions! Have Mercedes made an awful cock up here?

Excellent point. The confidence that comes from having a Grand Prix victory under your belt is incalculable. Having a confidence that you could win a Grand Prix without having done so previously leaves room for that niggling doubt. Rosberg has already had some near misses (Singapore '08 and '09) and Heidfeld has 160+ GPs of disappointment to bring to the table. That's another reason why I'd rather someone else be given the seat over him. I think Nick is one of the most reliable drivers in the field, but I'd always rate more highly someone who can pull out that special something when required. Heidfeld has shown repeatedly that he cannot/will not do that. Whether it will happen or not is another question, but I like the suggestion of Sutil.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

How much do you guys reckon Ross is in charge of this? Will it be his way, or Mercedes decision?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

CarlosFerreira wrote:How much do you guys reckon Ross is in charge of this? Will it be his way, or Mercedes decision?

That too is a very good question. I think Ross has been in charge of the Rosberg signing - that had been rumoured long ago anyway. I think Ross preferred Button to stay though.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

eytl wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:How much do you guys reckon Ross is in charge of this? Will it be his way, or Mercedes decision?

That too is a very good question. I think Ross has been in charge of the Rosberg signing - that had been rumoured long ago anyway. I think Ross preferred Button to stay though.

Heidfeld looks like a Merecedes decision, but it's not like Brawn was trying very hard to close down Button since he won the title. I think Brawn did not enjoy the burden of owning the team, and he's probably delighted with this outcome - he can go back to concentrating on what he likes most - running the sporting side.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eytl wrote:

At least publicly, Ross has been all for Button staying.

You know what's a big market for Mercedes? Asia. I hear Japan is quite big for them. Now... ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
eytl wrote:

At least publicly, Ross has been all for Button staying.

You know what's a big market for Mercedes? Asia. I hear Japan is quite big for them. Now... ;)

Too good to be true, sadly :( After all, it's a Toyota guy...unless we're speaking of Mr. Sato, that is (does he still has Honda connections?) :lol:

shinji wrote:
Michael Schumacher

Heck, me and my friends drink sometimes (I also have 17) and nothing bad still happened to us. There's a word called "responsibility": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/responsibility
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:
shinji wrote:
Michael Schumacher

Heck, me and my friends drink sometimes (I also have 17) and nothing bad still happened to us. There's a word called "responsibility": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/responsibility

ILLEGAL.

Unless it isn't in Spain, there's a whole different culture up here in the colds of North Western Europe, a more sinister one in which 14 year olds can slip in to alcoholism easily.

But that's the most off topic thing I've ever seen or written, so back to Mercedes. It' might be Heidfeld, but we'll know soon enough, so let's just say it will be the spawn of Kobayashi and HWNSNBM and leave it at that.

At least that's what I'm doing.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Indeed, it is a bit off-topic, but I always like to make jokes and/or puns...

Back to the Mercedes topic, as you say, does Heidfeld has still connections with Mercedes?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:Indeed, it is a bit off-topic, but I always like to make jokes and/or puns...

Back to the Mercedes topic, as you say, does Heidfeld has still connections with Mercedes?

I think any connection was cut when he didn't get the McLaren seat for 2002.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Indeed, it is a bit off-topic, but I always like to make jokes and/or puns...

I think any connection was cut when he didn't get the McLaren seat for 2002.

Then it would be better to look elsewhere for that second seat...maybe I'm wrong but...I'll go with a wild guess-Gary Paffett!
hclw

Post by hclw »

I really hope Schumacher gets the seat. He is one of the all time greats and would greatly enhance the sport. He's german and has the pedigree to match the historic return of the silver arrows Mercedes.

Yes, Ralf would be perfect for it
Waris

Post by Waris »

hclw wrote:I really hope Schumacher gets the seat. He is one of the all time greats and would greatly enhance the sport. He's german and has the pedigree to match the historic return of the silver arrows Mercedes.

Yes, Ralf would be perfect for it

Most lulzy post of the week.
Anyway, I predicted in my fantasy f1 thingie that Kobayashi would go to Brawn in 2014, so if this really goes through, I was the first to predict it!!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Yes, Paffett if I remember correctly it was pretty close between him & Lewis for Macca seat in 2007. Where's he disappeared to?
kaiserfranz

Post by kaiserfranz »

de crasharis wrote:Yes, Paffett if I remember correctly it was pretty close between him & Lewis for Macca seat in 2007. Where's he disappeared to?

To DTM where he just lost out on the title a couple of weeks ago.
kaiserfranz

Post by kaiserfranz »

eytl wrote:The confidence that comes from having a Grand Prix victory under your belt is incalculable.

Certainly helped Heikki, didn't it?
You do have a point though, speaking in general. Still, I want Heidfeld for the second seat because he is my favourite driver :D .
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

kaiserfranz wrote:
de crasharis wrote:Yes, Paffett if I remember correctly it was pretty close between him & Lewis for Macca seat in 2007. Where's he disappeared to?

To DTM where he just lost out on the title a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks. I really must pay more attention!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

3. Michael Schumacher
4. Kamui Kobayashi

please? :lol:

Image Image
kaiserfranz

Post by kaiserfranz »

de crasharis wrote:Thanks. I really must pay more attention!

No need, if I wasn't German I'd have no idea either. DTM is incredibly boring most of the time.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So, we have the following list of drivers as potential candidates thus far:

Nick Heidfeld
Michael Schumacher
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Robert Kubica
Kamui Kobayashi
Jacques Villeneuve
HWNSNBM :twisted:
Last edited by DemocalypseNow on 18 Nov 2009, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:So, we have the following list of drivers as potential candidates thus far:

Nick Heidfeld
Michael Schumacher
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Robert Kubica
Jacques Villeneuve
HWNSNBM :twisted:

Don't forget the lesser Schumacher.