The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
captainhappy

USF1 signs club racing pay driver!!!!

Post by captainhappy »

This just in,
USF1,
in the proudest tradition of American Open Wheel Racing,
signs an ARGENTINIAN PAY DRIVER!!!!!!

Well Peter and Ken, that really fits the bill for your original criteria. What was it you were looking for? One American, and one experienced driver to help develop the car?
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3955.shtml

What a laugh!!
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence
dragonsteincole

Re: USF1 signs club racing pay driver!!!!

Post by dragonsteincole »

Well, good luck to them. Although it might spark some interest back in Argentina, since they may finally have someone to cheer for the first time since... Reutemann way back when.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dragonsteincole wrote:Well, good luck to them. Although it might spark some interest back in Argentina, since they may finally have someone to cheer for the first time since... Reutemann way back when.

Coincidentally it was Carlos Reutemann that gave USF1 the nudge (perhaps financially?) to choose Lopez.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

Not so fast - this story is cropping up elsewhere, true, but they suggest that the deal isn't quite done yet.
For example, from Autosport:
"Jose Maria Lopez has revealed that he will race for US F1 next season if he can secure the rest of his sponsorship package."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80273
So, although he will probably drive for them, the fact that the deal depends on him finding $8 million in sponsorship is crucial - especially given that, according to the article in the post above, he is around 20% short (and it'll be easier said then done to raise $2 million in personal sponsorship in the current advertising market).
But that said, for a team which is just starting up, having a driver who can bring strong commercial backing to them is probably not a bad thing - and besides, it's been a while since we've had an Argentinian driver in F1; it'll be a great tonic to bolstering support from South America.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I remember Autosport running an article about him at the start of the 2006 season I think claiming that he'd be the next big thing. I don't suppose they bargained on him reaching F1 via TC2000.

He'll do well to do better than Gaston Mazzacane.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

captainhappy wrote:Well Peter and Ken, that really fits the bill for your original criteria. What was it you were looking for? One American, and one experienced driver to help develop the car?
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3955.shtml

What a laugh!!

Well, in all fairness, Lopez is (South) American and has driven racing cars in anger before, therefore can be considered experienced.

In other words, I shall pay what I owe you on Thursday; notice I didn't say what Thursday it was... :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

So that's where USF1 will finance their tenure in F1... :D
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

In all Honesty...Financial issues aside, this makes perfect Sense.......

Name me an American Driver who has an FIA Superlicense?......Scott Speed....MAYBE?........

I'm sure Lopez has one, as he raced in GP2 Last year......So I expect the next driver to be someone with REAL Formula 1 Experience.....Granted Lopez was a Renault Tester for a bit....

I find it funny, that once again USF1 is being Blasted for no real reason at all.............I Swear if they came out Tomorrow and Announced that USF1 had signed Michael Schumacher, they would be Blasted for hiring a Washed up OLD Guy to drive for them........
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

AFter looking him up in Wikipedia, Lopez has some credentials. He won one race, in only his 4th start but never won again. Hardly Deletrazian, so I think he'll turn out to be an average driver but why can't Kobayashi drive?
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Fitch wrote: I find it funny, that once again USF1 is being Blasted for no real reason at all.............I Swear if they came out Tomorrow and Announced that USF1 had signed Michael Schumacher, they would be Blasted for hiring a Washed up OLD Guy to drive for them........

Hardly, they announced some time ago that they would sign one experienced driver and one North American, and the first thing they do is sign a South American pay driver with no experience. There's not a lot of evidence to suggest that this is going to be a credible F1 effort.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Well... I'm not expecting miracles from Lopez but... aren't you guys taking it all too personal?

This is the forum in which we praise the likes of Ide & a team that made it from scraps with a 4 years old chassis that have been two under exposition in a fast food restaurant... We became fan of them two moths before they deployed their cars in Australia. If I really was expecting bashing, wasn't exactly here.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:Well... I'm not expecting miracles from Lopez but... aren't you guys taking it all too personal?

This is the forum in which we praise the likes of Ide & a team that made it from scraps with a 4 years old chassis that have been two under exposition in a fast food restaurant... We became fan of them two moths before they deployed their cars in Australia. If I really was expecting bashing, wasn't exactly here.

I agree. I, for one, love Argentine touring cars! I've been wondering for the longest time why they call Australian V8 Supercars 'Australian'. Does this mean they expect to expand all over the globe? I'm pumped for Canadian V8 Supercars, Argentine Supercars, Argentine superpaydrivers, all of it!
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:Well... I'm not expecting miracles from Lopez but... aren't you guys taking it all too personal?

I think the problem is that Lopez is expected to be driving for USF1, and they just haven't done anything to make themselves likeable.

Take Super Aguri: They had been forced in with an up and down driver paired with an interesting but horribly unpredictable rookie, a four year old chassis as it was one of the few things they had budget for, and minimal backing, just scraping onto the grid. And yet they earned our affection because they overcame such foibles as having no money and a driver who was way over his head, to show us that teams like Simtek and MasterCard Lola could still happen today. Plus they managed to unlock the full skill of Taku, which only pressed the likeability upwards.

But the same theme carries on through virtually every other reject: That they overcame problems that were out of their control. Look at Perry McCarthy, having no money, or Deletraz, having no concievable talent, but they didn't let it stop them.

The problem with USF1 is that they created all their own problems themselves. Then there's the driver situation, which thus far has seen them double back on their ridiculous plan to find two American drivers, then their plan for a driver with experience paired with an American new talent, to now settle on Lopez.

I don't have a problem with him in F1, and I would love to see more battling pay-drivers in F1. The main thing worrying me is that thus far is that everything USF1 has done has blown up in their faces, and I fear for Lopez's career.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I understand your point, but if you look around you'll see Bruno Senna signing up with Campos Meta produced the same sort of diatribe, if a little more contained. The point is the new teams have "fail" written all over them, and comparisons between some of them and the likes of Andrea Moda, Mastercard Lola and, when we're all feeling generous, Pacific and Simtek, are inevitable. No testing, no budget, no cars that we have seen, no experience anywhere... someone said there was a full-page job offer by USF1 in Autosport. Doesn't that strike you as odd? Insiders don't announce job vacancies - that's what supermarkets do. Insiders know the people they want, have their numbers, and make them an offer they can't refuse, regardless of the eventual horse head.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Ben Gilbert wrote:Take Super Aguri: They had been forced in with an up and down driver paired with an interesting but horribly unpredictable rookie, a four year old chassis as it was one of the few things they had budget for, and minimal backing, just scraping onto the grid. And yet they earned our affection because they overcame such foibles as having no money and a driver who was way over his head, to show us that teams like Simtek and MasterCard Lola could still happen today. Plus they managed to unlock the full skill of Taku, which only pressed the likeability upwards.

Super Aguri was the Japanese dream team. USF1 is the not-so-American dream team. For the 'patriotic team,' they could have gone with a guy who has money (which is expanding into the US market) along with high level experience (A1GP, F2, GP2) if Red Bull released Mikhail Aleshin but the signing of a Russian for his Lukoil cash would be unthinkable. I mean, why would they take a little known foreign driver with no F1 exper... oh.

Assuming his money is there, I don't think Lopez will be hopelessly Ide but he'll be a Yoong - slightly off the pace in a weak car with explicit instructions to bring the car home at all costs with some fitness issues since he won't test much, if at all.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

CarlosFerreira wrote:someone said there was a full-page job offer by USF1 in Autosport. Doesn't that strike you as odd? Insiders don't announce job vacancies - that's what supermarkets do. Insiders know the people they want, have their numbers, and make them an offer they can't refuse, regardless of the eventual horse head.

That was me - to be fair to USF1 I've seen similar adverts from loads of teams - Red Bull, Williams and McLaren all spring to mind.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

noisebox wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:someone said there was a full-page job offer by USF1 in Autosport. Doesn't that strike you as odd? Insiders don't announce job vacancies - that's what supermarkets do. Insiders know the people they want, have their numbers, and make them an offer they can't refuse, regardless of the eventual horse head.

That was me - to be fair to USF1 I've seen similar adverts from loads of teams - Red Bull, Williams and McLaren all spring to mind.

Seriously? I am slightly baffled by that, to be honest.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Seriously? I am slightly baffled by that, to be honest.

They come up in classified sections of Autosport and the like almost every week, even mid-season. Infact the only F1 team I haven't seen advertise in Autosport in the last 3 years is of course...Ferrari.

Image Image
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Not that Kostas needs his facts confirming, but I've just opened the nearest copy of autosport I have to hand, and it has adverts from both Williams and Renault in there.
mario

Post by mario »

Or, if you don't fancy doing it the old fashioned way and go flicking through the classified section of Autosport, you can take a look on the internet. For example, here is Williams http://www.williamsf1.com/corporate/recruitment/
(Slightly off topic - if you were one of the 20 people who got work experience at Williams, how big would the grin by on your face when you got the news?)

If anything, the company which seemed most desperate for employees was Campos - I recall seeing a website from them, in which they seemed to have vacancies for every job you could think of, and some that you wouldn't have - wind tunnel technicians, mechanics and electronic engineers, all the way down to the guys driving the trucks (which I would have thought would have been contracted out, but never mind).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Thank you all for that. I really assumed F1 worked like big consultancies, where they hire someone they know can do the job.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

mario wrote:all the way down to the guys driving the trucks (which I would have thought would have been contracted out, but never mind).

Nah, the truckies go to all the test sessions and have to organise the tyres etc. I believe they also have a part time role as tea boy :lol:

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

tristan1117 wrote:why can't Kobayashi drive?
Ugh. Kobayashi this, Kobayashi that. Stop your whining and start using your head: Kobayashi was never in talks for the seat.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

:evil:
Last edited by Snoozey2 on 17 Jan 2010, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Ugh. Kobayashi this, Kobayashi that. Stop your whining and start using your head: Kobayashi was never in talks for the seat.

Kobayashi is in talks for every seat. Ever. :D
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

Kobayashi is in talks for every seat. Ever. :D

Only after HWNSNBM turns down the drives.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

After reading your (all of them) answers I get a better picture o fit. Accept from me half an apologize because I strongly suspected it was a case of anti-argentinism (since we have some reasons to, generally speaking, not to be beloved around the world. I wont say much about it, just lets me say that some of them are fair and some are mith, or simple fake... promise I won't talk about the subject again), anti-northamericanism (who have them as well) or both together. I'll go for the other half in the next paragraph.

Answering to all of you, just to not to start quoting every single paragraph, that, BTW I respect. I share with you that all entrant team are flying in the rejectdom altitude, but when was the last time an entrant team wasn't seen this way? Brawn GP, at february, wasn't exactly the most conservative bet. Aguri was it since the first day, if not for their abysmal condition, for their anime-like name. Both teams proved their point from their where standing (and more). Stewart, was a so so case, Lola had reject written all around (they had no shakedown prior to melbourne, least a test, and the engine was outdated), I admit Toyota, but that could hardly be a case comparable to nowadays. Now, entrants are just guys who explicitly appointed themselves when F1 claimed bugdet reduction screaming out loud, so, always, except for (what an Irony) Lola and Prodrive (team I really hate) all of them where a) totally strangers or unknown to us (Manor) or b) A serious case of lack of F1 experience (USF1, Campos Meta, Lotus (I mean, this Lotus), or the other suspects, March, Brabham, and what the hell if someone shouted copersucar)).

Nowadays their not more than they were those days in june. And, while, someone believes that Manor flies a bit higher than the others, the facts is that, until the day they start testing, nothing really could be said that is not nothing else but speculation. And sure they need money, why not, they were promised 40 million pounds cap rule, remember?

If they originally said that they would hire only americans (always annoyed me that... like Carlos said, I'm also American)... well... Eddie Jordan, every year until 2001 said they would be champions that year. Aguri placed Ide in the name of the Team of the Raising Sun, and proved to be an irrational mistake and a risk for the rest of the paddock; Stoddard claimed (in his first race at Minardi as owner, at Melbourne (where Tarso Marques stopped testing because of a wheel going free)) that in two or three years they would have a factory engine deal. Toyota claimed constantly they were contenders for World Championship, Hamilton talked about himself as if he was about to be next god, and I'll stop here because it's boring and because you'll find out better examples. Everyone in this circus aims high, facts doesn't matter to much. It's just PR tour de force.

When it comes to Lopez, well, he didn't impress me much at GP2, and when he came back here, I thought of him as in his last days (that part of this site profile that titles "after F1", except that there were no real F1 here). If it counts for something, he smashed the field both year he ran for TC2000, Not that TC is DTM, but to be honest, apart from Brazil (wich has a lot of raw talent everywhere), theres not too much racing talent/develpment, until you reach Mexico, and even them they are not to prone to fit F1, the same goes to USA... He lacks open-wheleed for two years, yeah... that's a point, a real drawback, but I also believe he won't be a disaster. Someone (The Hemogoblin i think) pointed out that he is like to be around a Yoong Performance, not Deletraz, but not Kobayashi and, most probable (because faith moves mountains) not next Vettel.

Nothing more and all of that.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Popi, I see your point. Let me just remind you Kobayashi was likewise laughed out when the news came through he would be joining Toyota - and now we're all discussing how sick of Cowboy-mania some of us are getting, after all the hype.

In other places, I have found comments on Hamilton (my choice of pilot on the grid, to be honest) that are borderline racist. Well, I have seen comments who are explicitly racist. Have not seen any of it around here, though. For some reason, only cool people sign up for this forum; must be the music played at the end of the podcasts or something. In F1Rejects, we are equally able of mockery and idolatrousness, frequently in the same sentence...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Let's hope it firmly eventuates-this is quite promising for F1! :lol:
Rosstitute

Post by Rosstitute »

CarlosFerreira wrote:In other places, I have found comments on Hamilton (my choice of pilot on the grid, to be honest) that are borderline racist. Well, I have seen comments who are explicitly racist. Have not seen any of it around here, though. For some reason, only cool people sign up for this forum; must be the music played at the end of the podcasts or something. In F1Rejects, we are equally able of mockery and idolatrousness, frequently in the same sentence...

I think that, in the end, idiots simply don't appreciate satire and irreverence, since both are centered on the kind of critical thinking skills that prevent one from taking yourself that seriously. The basic concept of this website is essentially uninteresting to the type of forumgoer.

Anyway, I'm still just blindly and naïvely hoping USF1 is a success, if for no other reason than me being tired of having to explain what F1 is to friendS who think it's the same thing as NASCAR. Really, any exposure over here is good exposure in my mind.
P.S. Excuse me for choosing "The Paul Stoddart Memorial Forum" to leave a offer for men about achat propecia
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Rosstitute wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:In other places, I have found comments on Hamilton (my choice of pilot on the grid, to be honest) that are borderline racist. Well, I have seen comments who are explicitly racist. Have not seen any of it around here, though. For some reason, only cool people sign up for this forum; must be the music played at the end of the podcasts or something. In F1Rejects, we are equally able of mockery and idolatrousness, frequently in the same sentence...

I think that, in the end, idiots simply don't appreciate satire and irreverence, since both are centered on the kind of critical thinking skills that prevent one from taking yourself that seriously. The basic concept of this website is essentially uninteresting to the type of forumgoer.

Anyway, I'm still just blindly and naïvely hoping USF1 is a success, if for no other reason than me being tired of having to explain what F1 is to friendS who think it's the same thing as NASCAR. Really, any exposure over here is good exposure in my mind.

Sadly it seems the only place where USF1 is pointing is failure. Still, they have a bit of time to redress themselves, but signing unexperienced paydrivers is not the way. And we're talking about the first new team that was planning its enter in F1 from the ones they're bound to enter...
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Popi, I see your point. Let me just remind you Kobayashi was likewise laughed out when the news came through he would be joining Toyota - and now we're all discussing how sick of Cowboy-mania some of us are getting, after all the hype.

In other places, I have found comments on Hamilton (my choice of pilot on the grid, to be honest) that are borderline racist. Well, I have seen comments who are explicitly racist. Have not seen any of it around here, though. For some reason, only cool people sign up for this forum; must be the music played at the end of the podcasts or something. In F1Rejects, we are equally able of mockery and idolatrousness, frequently in the same sentence...

Conceded! Never in this site, and that's why it's a great asset to hold on.

That's why initially suprised me so much. Anyway, case clear for now.

Please forgive my delay, I had a hell of a weekend and just now I'm having a minute.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Rosstitute wrote:

i didn't get it, but i'll try to (english, no matter how much I use it, is still 2° language to me):

If the subjects is that people can't separate satire and irreverence from serious (let's say, serious affirmation) the problem is that written language has the tendency to leave a free margin to interpretation. Thus, even with the existence of emoticons, things such as irony, satire or irreverence may have not the desired feedback. Moreover, we have an unusual mixture of cultures here (bah, the same every other english speakers forum), so casual references may no be exactly the same for you to me.

If the subjects is that racists finds no comfortable environment to reproduce themselves here, then I agree.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Popi, I see your point. Let me just remind you Kobayashi was likewise laughed out when the news came through he would be joining Toyota - and now we're all discussing how sick of Cowboy-mania some of us are getting, after all the hype.

Please forgive my delay, I had a hell of a weekend and just now I'm having a minute.

It's these very reasons I love this site. That, and that troubled young Irishman who thinks he's Japanese... that amuses me.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Popi_Larrauri wrote:

It's these very reasons I love this site. That, and that troubled young Irishman who thinks he's Japanese... that amuses me.

Who, HWNSNBM?

BTW I'm still waiting for the Danny Ongais profile :evil:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Popi_Larrauri wrote:

I was referenced out of context!

My life is now complete.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:

Hat tip. If it helps, I've read the news saying "Jennifer Lopez signs for USF1". We actually made a comparatively good fist out of it. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:It's these very reasons I love this site. That, and that troubled young Irishman who thinks he's Japanese... that amuses me.

I was referenced out of context!

My life is now complete.

I figured he probably listened to this too often as a child...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

And no. That wasn't an intentional double entendre.

Image Image
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Just found this mildly amusing video of Lopez' GP2 exploits in 2006 (made by someone who is trying to argue that Lopez was very unlucky that season).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL0EsYAJSJk
Waris

Post by Waris »

P_Friesacher wrote:Just found this mildly amusing video of Lopez' GP2 exploits in 2006 (made by someone who is trying to argue that Lopez was very unlucky that season).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL0EsYAJSJk

You have to admit all that was rather unlucky. I lol'd at the text at the end, by the way.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS