2016 Team/Car Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
nome66

2016 Team/Car Launch Thread

Post by nome66 »

it's that time again. the time when the cure for F1 deprivation comes around!

so far, Ferrari have a confirmed date at the 19th of February

anyone have any information on the other teams? i know they pushed the test days back a week or something, and all the teams want to reveal their cars accordingly.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2016 Team/Car Launch Thread

Post by novitopoli »

Looks like the days of fancy car launches like the ones we were used to in the late 90's/early 00's have long passed. Nowadays it just looks like "well, that's it, nothing special uh? Take a couple of photos, s*d off and let us work" - either that or an online launch.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

McLaren are launching their new car on February 21st, whilst worryingly, Sauber are already behind schedule with their car. Given Sauber are only surviving because of Nasr's Banco Do Brasil money, and the efforts of the EricssonEra, I fear this could be their last season.

Finally, I'll leave you with these two photos from the latest F1 Racing magazine.

:chilton: :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

novitopoli wrote:Looks like the days of fancy car launches like the ones we were used to in the late 90's/early 00's have long passed. Nowadays it just looks like "well, that's it, nothing special uh? Take a couple of photos, s*d off and let us work" - either that or an online launch.

It is indeed the case that the large scale publicity events have fallen out of favour, even for larger teams that would traditionally throw such events for their sponsors (McLaren being one such example).

Looking at the other teams, Haas have confirmed that they will launch their car on the 21st Feb; Williams, meanwhile, intend to hold a short press session in the pit lane of the Circuit de Catalunya on the 22nd, shortly before the circuit opens for testing.

Out of the remaining unconfirmed teams, I would suspect that Mercedes, Toro Rosso and Red Bull are likely to follow Williams's lead and to also launch their cars at the circuit (they have done that for the past few years). The bigger questions are probably over Force India, Renault and Manor - I would not be surprised if Renault are late to launch given that Renault's takeover of the team came in late 2015, whilst financial pressures are likely to be a question for the other two teams (moreover, we still currently do not know who will even drive Manor's car yet).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

East Londoner wrote:Image

That livery is so cool that it's definitely not what'll actually happen.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:That livery is so cool that it's definitely not what'll actually happen.

It'll be something like though, I think. Renault yellow. It's a funny thing but most years there's some excited speculation that McLaren may turn back the years and go orange with their livery, only for Ron Dennis to open the can of paint marked 'Boring'. But oddly Renault staying old skule with their yellow never quite excites me as much.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

CoopsII wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:That livery is so cool that it's definitely not what'll actually happen.

It'll be something like though, I think. Renault yellow. It's a funny thing but most years there's some excited speculation that McLaren may turn back the years and go orange with their livery, only for Ron Dennis to open the can of paint marked 'Boring'. But oddly Renault staying old skule with their yellow never quite excites me as much.

Thing is though, Renault were never that successful in their own right in the first place anyway. When you think of the Renault team in the late 70s to mid 80s, what do you picture? Turbos, lots of DNFs, wheel-banging at Dijon and Prost failing to win the title before he switched to McLaren.

Not on the same level as McLaren orange which was on all their cars and as a team were far more successful, in many categories. I suppose Renault had a bit of success at Le Mans after they took over the Alpine cars too.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

AndreaModa wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Thing is though, Renault were never that successful in their own right in the first place anyway. When you think of the Renault team in the late 70s to mid 80s, what do you picture? Turbos, lots of DNFs, wheel-banging at Dijon and Prost failing to win the title before he switched to McLaren.

Not on the same level as McLaren orange which was on all their cars and as a team were far more successful, in many categories. I suppose Renault had a bit of success at Le Mans after they took over the Alpine cars too.

The RE30 and RE40 were quite successful. TBH Renault did pretty well even if they didn't win a Championship.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

SHINY!!!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

A bit Minardi 1991 to me...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Aguaman wrote:[img]A%20black%20Renault[/img]

SHINY!!!

So they went with pretty much full black. My theory is that they know they will suck this year and so they want to camouflage themselves with the tarmac and try to go by 2016 unnoticed.

Regardless is it very underwhelming. They also seem to have very few sponsors.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

DanielPT wrote:

SHINY!!!

So they went with pretty much full black. My theory is that they know they will suck this year and so they want to camouflage themselves with the tarmac and try to go by 2016 unnoticed.

Microsoft, Something else that starts with E I think, Bell and Ross, and some music stereo company
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Aguaman wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

SHINY!!!

Microsoft, Something else that starts with E I think, Bell and Ross, and some music stereo company

And Jack and Jones, don't forget it
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

They have a surprise for Monaco. Obviously it's a weapon. A weapon known as PASTOR MALDONADO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:A bit Minardi 1991 to me...

With a hint of '92 Andrea Moda!
Just For One Day...
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Aguaman wrote:Image

SHINY!!!

A Bit 1986 Minardi To Me
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:A bit Minardi 1991 to me...

With a hint of '92 Andrea Moda!

And an engine which is a good tribute to Lamborghini efforts back in 91.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

As much as those Minardis are among my favourite colour schemes of all time (I remember being disappointed with their 1993 offering), not really a fan of this. Was hoping for yellow with bits of black rather than the other way around. At least there's no Total red though so that's one thing!

Or maybe these are just their testing colours?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

MorbidelliObese wrote:As much as those Minardis are among my favourite colour schemes of all time (I remember being disappointed with their 1993 offering), not really a fan of this. Was hoping for yellow with bits of black rather than the other way around. At least there's no Total red though so that's one thing!

Or maybe these are just their testing colours?

Something Like This
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Or maybe these are just their testing colours?

I wondered that myself. It seems so long since I saw a fancy-pants launch rather than just the more recent trend of pulling-the-cover-off-in-the-pitlane-um-well-here-it-is-what-do-all-think-of-it? launches that I forgot the protocol. Can they change the livery massively now without confusing people?
Just For One Day...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:Or maybe these are just their testing colours?

I wondered that myself. It seems so long since I saw a fancy-pants launch rather than just the more recent trend of pulling-the-cover-off-in-the-pitlane-um-well-here-it-is-what-do-all-think-of-it? launches that I forgot the protocol. Can they change the livery massively now without confusing people?

It might be testing livery.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

...it could maybe use a few yellow flashes around the matte hexagons at the rear end of the car. However, it looks pretty badass.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122678
Autosport confirming it will be used for testing but will probably be modified a little for the season itself.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yep they'll have a new livery in Melbourne, and that isn't the new car either, prompting a bunch of people to ask "well what was the point in all that then?"
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:Yep they'll have a new livery in Melbourne, and that isn't the new car either, prompting a bunch of people to ask "well what was the point in all that then?"

Maybe the point was "He's gone, he's really gone, think of all that money we'll save on damage repair!"
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I quite like that, although annoyingly, it will probably encourage Haas to go yellow since they'll be the only ones. At least Renault had history with it....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

I too was reminded of old Minardi, or the AGS JH25 (sorta, after a few drinks). It's ok.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

:D I was about to ask for details of where you get your booze from before remembering the car as it ran in 1990, as opposed to this:

Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Yep they'll have a new livery in Melbourne, and that isn't the new car either, prompting a bunch of people to ask "well what was the point in all that then?"

I guess that, as CoopsII has said, it seems to have mainly been an opportunity for the team to announce their latest restructuring - asides from confirming Magnussen, they have also confirmed that they are bringing in the head of ART Racing, Frederic Vasseur, to take on their Race Director role.

Apart from that, the only other reason I can think why they've done this is because it gives them an opportunity to monopolise the headlines at a time when the motorsport press is desperate for news - they should be able to gain a considerable amount of exposure in the short term, the one thing that Renault previously complained they did not have enough of when partnering with Red Bull.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's just plain black with some white words on it, barely a livery at all... not actively ugly, but I'm glad it's not the race version.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

It reminds me a lot of the 1988 Tyrrell, driven by one certain Jonathan Palmer...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I think that's the actual car. Just not the livery.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aguaman wrote:

It is and it isn't. While it is the new RS16 chassis, the bodywork I think is from last year's Lotus. Even if it isn't, they've said that the car will have different parts in testing.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:
Aguaman wrote:

It is and it isn't. While it is the new RS16 chassis, the bodywork I think is from last year's Lotus. Even if it isn't, they've said that the car will have different parts in testing.

Yes, it is the case that the car seems to be a slightly modified version of a late 2015 spec E23, although there are rumours that the actual RS16 is itself essentially an E23-B rather than an all new design.

Mind you, it seems that Renault themselves don't seem entirely sure of the name of their own car - if you zoom in on the photos of the show car from the launch, the decals call the car the "RE16". Evidently, somebody didn't get the right message somewhere along the line...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:
Aguaman wrote:I think that's the actual car. Just not the livery.

Yes, it is the case that the car seems to be a slightly modified version of a late 2015 spec E23, although there are rumours that the actual RS16 is itself essentially an E23-B rather than an all new design.

Mind you, it seems that Renault themselves don't seem entirely sure of the name of their own car - if you zoom in on the photos of the show car from the launch, the decals call the car the "RE16". Evidently, somebody didn't get the right message somewhere along the line...

It appears to be the new name of the power unit (Renault Energy-16), but I agree that it's a bit confusing!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:It appears to be the new name of the power unit (Renault Energy-16), but I agree that it's a bit confusing!

I believe that you are indeed correct about "RE16" being the name of the power unit. Still, it is rather confusing when the car is marked as the "RS16" in the studio shots but "RE16" during the launch event.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Aguaman wrote:Microsoft, Something else that starts with E I think, Bell and Ross, and some music stereo company

I bet you mean Eurodatacar :D
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wow, this is weirder to me than I thought. It's almost like the whole Lotus saga was just a very strange dream now.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Waris wrote:Wow, this is weirder to me than I thought. It's almost like the whole Lotus saga was just a very strange dream now.

Who shot Pastor?
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Eifelland wrote:
Waris wrote:Wow, this is weirder to me than I thought. It's almost like the whole Lotus saga was just a very strange dream now.

Who shot Pastor?

Kimi, with his Magnum, in the pitlane.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA