New Monza layout for 2017

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
The Chicane

New Monza layout for 2017

Post by The Chicane »

Monza will be getting some track upgrades for 2017, the plans have been revealed and here's the stand outs:

* The Rettifilio chicane on the main straight will be removed.
* The new layout will bypass most of the Curva Grande. (Mostly removed)
* Most of the track will remain unchanged.
* The Parabolica gravel will be restored.
* Faster lap times.

Link to article: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-monza-second-quicker-f1-cars-2017/

What's your opinion on the matter?
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Londoner

Re: New Monza layout for 2017

Post by Londoner »

For starters, linking to F1 Fanatic on this forum (and in the chatroom for that matter) should be punishable with an indefinite ban. :P

Joking aside, I think it could work well if the second chicane was removed. The run from the new chicane to that one will be too short for any meaningful overtaking.

Nice to see the Parabolica being restored to its former glory. It never looked right with tarmac runoff.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

You're about a week late to the discussion, mate :P

Also, as this is related to current F1 affairs, this would be more fitting in the Paul Stoddart forum ;)
#FreeGonzo
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Oh...I didn't know about that lol, anyway are they totally getting rid of the Curva Grande or are they keeping it alongside the new track?, because from what I see from the drawing is that they are going to turn it into a patch of grass or run off area...I just hope not.

I like the new layout because it reminds me of the old Hockenheimring...and I loved that track.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

The Chicane wrote:I like the new layout because it reminds me of the old Hockenheimring...and I loved that track.

The new layout reminds me of the old Monza, personally.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

The Chicane wrote:Oh...I didn't know about that lol, anyway are they totally getting rid of the Curva Grande or are they keeping it alongside the new track?, because from what I see from the drawing is that they are going to turn it into a patch of grass or run off area...I just hope not.

I like the new layout because it reminds me of the old Hockenheimring...and I loved that track.

They are removing Curva Grande. For them to get rid of the first chicane they cant keep Curva Grande as it is. limited run off they cant extend it as their is a road behind. I cant help but feel that its going to eliminate 2 overtaking opportunities.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Well, seeing as the race only took an hour and 18 mins last year, cars will be faster, circuit will be faster - this suggests it'll all be over in just over 70 minutes....
Not looking such good value for money ....

Personally I like the slight 'enduro' aspect to Grand Prix racing so I think its a bit short at 70 mins. A Grand Prix should be an event of some substance and not just a quick blast. Football matches are 105 mins from whistle to whistle, Indy is over 2 hours , films generally last over 70mins, Moto GP lacks a little something by being over too quick, and now we are getting towards the lower end of what constitutes a real 'event'. In my opinion anyway.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Bring back the banking!!!!! and we can race the full track seen in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix :dance:
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

yannicksamlad wrote:Well, seeing as the race only took an hour and 18 mins last year, cars will be faster, circuit will be faster - this suggests it'll all be over in just over 70 minutes....
Not looking such good value for money ....

Personally I like the slight 'enduro' aspect to Grand Prix racing so I think its a bit short at 70 mins. A Grand Prix should be an event of some substance and not just a quick blast. Football matches are 105 mins from whistle to whistle, Indy is over 2 hours , films generally last over 70mins, Moto GP lacks a little something by being over too quick, and now we are getting towards the lower end of what constitutes a real 'event'. In my opinion anyway.

I would personally love to see Grand Prix distances return to 500 km like they were before the 1950s, although I know it's not really feasible as that would mean almost every race hits well above the 2-hour mark.
#FreeGonzo
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

peteroli34 wrote:They are removing Curva Grande. For them to get rid of the first chicane they cant keep Curva Grande as it is. limited run off they cant extend it as their is a road behind. I cant help but feel that its going to eliminate 2 overtaking opportunities.

I was meaning are they ripping up the old track or are they keeping it alongside the new track?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The Chicane wrote:
peteroli34 wrote:They are removing Curva Grande. For them to get rid of the first chicane they cant keep Curva Grande as it is. limited run off they cant extend it as their is a road behind. I cant help but feel that its going to eliminate 2 overtaking opportunities.

I was meaning are they ripping up the old track or are they keeping it alongside the new track?

Looking at the proposed new track, I doubt they will keep Curva Grande.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Its a very long drag to the first proper corner - assuming T1 the gentle curve is flat out for a grippy hi-aero 2017 F1 machine- so they'll sweep through T1 and arrive at the chicane even faster than they do now....
And T1- for those cars without so much downforce and adhesion - will be a very quick corner with the possibility for a very big accident from a very small nudge as you try to jostle for the position into the braking zone at the best passing opportunity on the track..no?
There was a reason for having a chicane before Curva Grande...

Maybe T1 will actually be a braking zone for some types of racing ...but then that makes it hard to overtake.

And maybe I am wrong and it'll be great.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Can't say I'm knocked out by it. I also thought they'll be hitting that first right hander/chicane at mighty speeds. I'd keep the old track for now just in case.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Well, the original plan for this was for it to be used by the motocycle racers and the current layout be kept for the cars. Indeed this original article on the news story here says that,

The changes will allow the bike racers - and possibly LMP1 cars during testing - to bypass the first chicane altogether. Around 400 trees will be felled to create additional run-off along the new section of track; these will be replanted elsewhere around Monza's Royal Park. Car races will continue to use the current circuit layout.

Production bikes last raced at Monza in 2013 and there have been numerous problems with collisions at the tight first chicane in past World Superbike encounters, particularly at the start of races when the field is bunched. Despite being eased for bike racers, the first chicane is still regarded as too problematic for two-wheeled machinery.

http://www.racingcircuits.info/pro/news ... 1RxlZErKUk

After all, these changes are only plans at the moment, something which the article below should explain better than I can.
http://www.racingcircuits.info/pro/news ... 1RxK5ErKUk
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

This removal of the 1st chicane is taking away 2 overtaking opportunities: no more 1st chicane and the run down towards the 2nd chicane will be too short. I don't like it at all.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Minus the elevation change, obviously, I'm getting a serious vibe of The Chase from Bathurst in the new first chicane. Fast sweep directly into a chicane…I don't know about overtaking, but it sure would be spectacular to see.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!