Grand Prix Rejects 2016-17 Off-season Quiz: Picture Edition

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bobby Doorknobs

Grand Prix Rejects 2016-17 Off-season Quiz: Picture Edition

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Seeing as ASMF F4 is going to be bringing me back here over the off-season anyway...

From now until the 23rd March will be another edition of the trivia quiz, this time with a warning for mobile users, because there will be lots of pictures involved. The rules will be pretty much the same as last year: Person A asks question, person B answers question, person B gets to ask next question and so on. Each question must be answered within 48 hours. If not, I'll "reset" the quiz with a new question of my own. If there's a tie, then a tiebreaker question based on the picture will be asked.

So what's different? Well, for starters this is entirely picture-oriented. The subject of the picture must be a reject driver and the elements that contestants will be looking for are:

Year
Circuit
Car
Driver

So, as with last year, I'll start:

Current leaderboard
1. Normal32 - 62
2. kevinbotz - 39
3. tommykl - 31
4. peteroli34 - 23
5. pasta_maldonado - 12
6. Miguel98 - 8
7. DemocalypseNow - 6
8. yannicksamlad - 5
9. TheFlyingCaterham - 4
=. dr-baker - 4
11. Nuppiz - 3
=. Ataxia - 3
=. This Could Be You - 3
14. mario - 2
=. Gonzalez - 2
=. Rated - 2
17. tBone - 1
=. novitopoli - 1
=. CarloSpace - 1
=. This - 1
=. Pinkd56 - 1
=. Aislabie - 1
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2016-17 Off-season Quiz: Picture Edit

Post by dr-baker »

I immediately recognised the car as a Jaguar from the early to mid-1950s, and that the circuit clearly is not La Sarthe. I'm going to guess 1953, Leinster Trophy, Joe Kelly, Jaguar C-Type.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:I immediately recognised the car as a Jaguar from the early to mid-1950s, and that the circuit clearly is not La Sarthe. I'm going to guess 1953, Leinster Trophy, Joe Kelly, Jaguar C-Type.

It is Kelly, it is his famous C-Type, but it's not 1953 and no circuit has been named.

However, with 2/4 it looks likely that this at the very least will lead to a tiebreak, if not to our first winner already!
#FreeGonzo
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Year: 1954
Circuit: Wicklow (since the Leinster Trophy has only ever held at Wicklow to my knowledge, this should count as a point towards the circuit part of this, or become its own catagory named Event)
Car: Jaguar C-Type
Driver: Joe Kelly

Thanks for the help baker. Even though I think you win this one anyways. :)

Also I'm not sure how well this would work with images because people can just reverse search the image and find the answer straight away. Fortunately this is not the case with your image (I checked), but I feel like it could happen quite easily for other people.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Bobby Doorknobs

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:(since the Leinster Trophy has only ever held at Wicklow to my knowledge, this should count as a point towards the circuit part of this, or become its own catagory named Event)

Actually the Leinster Trophy has been held at a number of different venues. It's still held to this day and hence has gained quite an air of prestige (here, at least), especially as its winners include Mike Hawthorn, Ayrton Senna and Mika Hakkinen. The venues are or were:

Skerries (1934), before being moved as the circuit (which was traditionally and is still to this day used for bikes) was considered too narrow for cars.
Tallaght (1935-39 & 1948), before increasing urban development led to the circuit becoming a logistical nightmare.
Wicklow (1950-57), before rising costs surrounding parking areas (leased from local farmers, of course) necessitated another change of venue.
Dunboyne (1958-66), before road racing was deemed too dangerous to continue after several fatalities.
Bishopscourt (1967), a stop-gap solution following the end of racing in Dunboyne that rendered the name of the event a misnomer (Bishopscourt is in Ulster, not Leinster).
Mondello Park (1968-present), where it will probably remain for as long as cars race on this island.

And yes, I did think about reverse searching the image after originally sourcing it from my Photobucket account, the link to which alone would have given the answer away! So I re-uploaded it to Flickr instead. Something for others to consider for the future!

So, before we completely leave the tracks, the year was indeed 1954, the circuit was indeed Wicklow (I was afraid by not explicitly denying the Leinster Trophy answer I would have given that away...) and with 2 each TheFlyingCaterham and dr-baker are now subject to the first tiebreak question, which will be related to the picture.

Here is a map of the Wicklow Circuit. On what part of the circuit was this photograph taken?

Now, not every part of the circuit is named and I don't expect anyone to know the actual names of unrepresented sections like the Grand Hotel, the Glebe or either of the two bridges (though they're here now as extra options for guessing!), so I will accept a ballpark answer. Also, the map is North-oriented, so you can say Northwest to mean top-left for example. Whoever's closest wins.
#FreeGonzo
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Well, the more you know.

As for the location of the picture, a part of me wants to answer the photo was taken in a part of the circuit that goes through Wicklow, but I feel like that would be too obvious so I'll go for a curveball and answer Galynibarny (the text on the map isn't very clear so chances are that's not what that section is called but you should know which bit I'm talking about).
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, I thought that specifying the Leinster Trophy of 1953 might have implied a certain track. If I said 1993 European Grand Prix, you would know that I would have meant Donington rather than Valencia, Silverstone, Nurburgring or Baku...

But never mind, my guess for the tie-breaker would be 1 mile up the road from The Flying Caterham's guess.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

The answer is in fact the Glebe, which is a part of Wicklow town. In terms of the circuit, that's the third and fourth turns.

I suppose I'll give this to dr-baker, as 1 mile up the road from Ballinabarney (the proper spelling, though the map also says Ballynabarny; either way it's just an Anglicisation of the original Irish Báile na Bearna) would be Rathnew or somewhere nearby, which is geographically closer.

So, take it away!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I imagine that this one will be a bit easier, so let's have the car's chassis designation as well.

MCard LOLA
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Driver: Allan McNish
Chassis: Lola, T95/30
Circuit: Silverstone Circuit
Year: 1995
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:I imagine that this one will be a bit easier, so let's have the car's chassis designation as well.

I probably should have clarified that chassis designations is indeed what people will be expected to give. Simply guessing the make would be too easy most of the time. ;)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Normal32 wrote:Driver: Allan McNish

Yes, yes, yes, no!
MCard LOLA
tBone

Post by tBone »

dr-baker wrote:

Yes, yes, yes, no!

Was it in 1994?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tBone wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Yes, yes, yes, no!

Was it in 1994?

It was, in early December of 1994. It was intended that more testing would take place throughout 1995, but did not for whatever reason. See the Mastercard Lola thread for the details!
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

So, with a score of 3/4 it's now Normal's turn!

Also, to make things interesting, I'm going to re-do the scoring. You now score a point for every element you get right, instead of one point for whomever gets the most in one question. Otherwise everything's the same.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

48 hours gone and still no picture from Normal, so it's back to me. It's another really tough one, I'm afraid. If things get desperate I may provide hints.

The car and driver you are to identify are in front (and no, it's not Wicklow).

#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

The car is a Maserati 4CL.

I'll guess 1950, Chimay and Toni Branca?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:The car is a Maserati 4CL.

It's a 4CL, it's 1950, but it's neither Chimay nor Branca.

EDIT: It's not a 4CL! Even I was fooled! So, different Maserati. ;)

I will now provide hints in the form of yes/no answers, so ask away!
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:

Is the car the updated 4CLT/48 model instead?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Is the car the updated 4CLT/48 model instead?

No, it's not the 4CL or any of its descendants. The 4CL and 4CLTs have a round hole in the grille (example) which is not present in the above model.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:No, it's not the 4CL or any of its descendants. The 4CL and 4CLTs have a round hole in the grille (example) which is not present in the above model.

Could it be the Maserati 6C then?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:No, it's not the 4CL or any of its descendants. The 4CL and 4CLTs have a round hole in the grille (example) which is not present in the above model.

Could it be the Maserati 6C then?

It is indeed the Maserati 6C! Well, it's a 6CM, but I won't get that pedantic over naming. Now we just need the driver and venue.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Curragh, Duncan Hamilton?
Bobby Doorknobs

Normal32 wrote:Curragh, Duncan Hamilton?

Yes and yes! Duncan Hamilton on his way to winning the 1950 Wakefield Trophy at the Curragh! With 2/4, it's Normal's turn again!
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Here's an easier one:

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This is Tripoli. It's a Mercedes. Given this must be pre-War, I'll say this is 1939 in the W154. As for the driver, I'll hazard a guess and say Hermann Lang.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

tommykl wrote:This is Tripoli. It's a Mercedes. Given this must be pre-War, I'll say this is 1939 in the W154. As for the driver, I'll hazard a guess and say Hermann Lang.

Track, year and driver are correct, but car is incorrect!
mario

Post by mario »

Normal32 wrote:
tommykl wrote:This is Tripoli. It's a Mercedes. Given this must be pre-War, I'll say this is 1939 in the W154. As for the driver, I'll hazard a guess and say Hermann Lang.

I'll admit that it's only because tommykl has supplied most of the information that I would guess that it is the Mercedes W165 (a short lived voiturette class car that Mercedes built).
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

mario wrote:
Normal32 wrote:

I'll admit that it's only because tommykl has supplied most of the information that I would guess that it is the Mercedes W165 (a short lived voiturette class car that Mercedes built).

Correct!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Let's go for something a bit different. This may be taken from a work of fiction, but the driver, car, circuit and indeed race are all very real. For the year, I can either take the year the race in question happened or the year in which the graphic novel was published, but you must state which of the two you're aiming for.

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

BMW 3.0 CSL, Harald Ertl, 1974, Nurburgring.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The car is more than clear: it's the BMW 3.0 CSL. As for the driver.. I'll say Ralf Stommelen, while the year of publishing would be 1975.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

All of these are wrong, even the BMW 3.0 CSL. It's obviously a BMW, but it's a different model.

Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

I think that's a BMW 320I Turbo. The actual race this pic was taken should be nowhere other than the Macau Guia Circuit. I know this car won a race there so I highly doubt it's from 1980. So the Driver must be Hans Joachim Stuck Jr.
Last edited by Gonzalez on 29 Dec 2016, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Gonzalez wrote:I think that's a BMW 320I Turbo. The actual race this pic was taken should be nowhere other than the Macau Guia Circuit. I know this car was a race there so I highly doubt it's from 1980. So the Driver must be Hans Joachim Stuck Jr.

You've got the car and circuit right, but the year is wrong both ways, and Hans Joachim Stuck is no reject ;)

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BMW 320i Turbo (E21)
Macau Guia
(Race) 1981, Manfred Winkelhock?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DemocalypseNow wrote:BMW 320i Turbo (E21)
Macau Guia

And that's the other two correct!

We have a tie now. And given that neither of you attempted to answer it, the question is: in which year was this graphic novel published? Whoever is closest wins.

Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:
DemocalypseNow wrote:BMW 320i Turbo (E21)
Macau Guia

And that's the other two correct!

We have a tie now. And given that neither of you attempted to answer it, the question is: in which year was this graphic novel published? Whoever is closest wins.

It has been decided that this would be fairer if handled via PM. So for future tiebreak scenarios contestants should message the person asking with their answer.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Following two tiebreak questions, DemocalypseNow will be asking the following question, for guessing that the novel in question (Rendez-vous à Macao) was the 42nd instalment in the Michel Vaillant series, when it was in fact the 43rd!

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So, to the new challenge;

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image