The Racing Game Thread

Archive for the three above subforums
MinardiFan95

The Racing Game Thread

Post by MinardiFan95 »

This is the thread to discuss and recommend racing games (F1 & Non F1), post interesting racing gaming stories, post your favourite reject related liveries made through in-game livery editors (or in the case of games such as rFactor, an image editing program) and host online races between members of the F1 Rejects community.

EDIT: Just wanted to show off my F1 Rejects Aston Martin DBR-9 from the PS3 game, SuperCar Challenge
In the first online race I entered in it, I won (probably because the name on the side window is HWNSNBM).
Last edited by MinardiFan95 on 04 Apr 2010, 06:49, edited 2 times in total.
This is a cool spot.
Phoenix

Re: The Racing Game Thread

Post by Phoenix »

I'll begin with the blind-obvious: Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 and Forza Motorsport 3 for XBox 360.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

rFactor. I'm in a modding group and we're currently working on a 1994 mod. I've painted (among others) Simtek and Pacific... :D
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:I'll begin with the blind-obvious: Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 and Forza Motorsport 3 for XBox 360.

Forza 3 is ridiculously good, I'm properly addicted.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

NASCAR Racing 2003 is still the best racing game out there, IMO. GRID is also quite good, as are Burnout 3 and 4.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I've only got 2 racing games, both for PC: TOCA Race Driver 3 and RACE '07, the Official WTCC game. Picked both up during 2009, and haven't played any in weeks... my previous experience harks back to GT and GT2 for Playstation 1, so you can see how far away from gaming I've been until recently.

I find TOCA 3 particularly irritating. The setups aren't clear, I can't test and define setups for the cars before I win the Championships (and I can't seem to win some Championships because the car is badly set-up... :evil: ), and every time I try to save a setup, the game crashes. '@£$%^&&%$$£""!!!"!!. Also, whenever I race the Williams FW18 I want to throw the computer through the window and end up promising myself I will never, ever again play the damn game for as long as I live. :evil: :evil: And yet, somehow, I still like the bloody game and keep coming back for more.

For some reason, every time I play RACE '07 (great game!) in the Championship I am halfway through, I will send either Tarquini or Frafus into a gravel trap. :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The defining moment for TOCA Race Driver 3 for me came when I was qualifying at Laguna Seca in a muscle car, can't remember which one. I was going through the last corner before the corkscrew, full throttle, and the car began sliding. Fair enough. Except I'm going into the inside wall, tried to countersteer, but it didn't work, and I hit the wall. Odd, but I'll roll with it. So I rejoin the track, only to be black flagged! What for? Cutting a corner!? I was on a straight when I went off, so I couldn't have gained anything if I tried.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:The defining moment for TOCA Race Driver 3 for me came when I was qualifying at Laguna Seca in a muscle car, can't remember which one. I was going through the last corner before the corkscrew, full throttle, and the car began sliding. Fair enough. Except I'm going into the inside wall, tried to countersteer, but it didn't work, and I hit the wall. Odd, but I'll roll with it. So I rejoin the track, only to be black flagged! What for? Cutting a corner!? I was on a straight when I went off, so I couldn't have gained anything if I tried.

Yup, the constant corner-cutting penalties are a hassle.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
fvanalst

Post by fvanalst »

rFactor. Absolutely love this game and all the various open-wheel mods that have been created.

Mediocre, is there a beta download available for the 1994 F1 season that you are working on?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:The defining moment for TOCA Race Driver 3 for me came when I was qualifying at Laguna Seca in a muscle car, can't remember which one. I was going through the last corner before the corkscrew, full throttle, and the car began sliding. Fair enough. Except I'm going into the inside wall, tried to countersteer, but it didn't work, and I hit the wall. Odd, but I'll roll with it. So I rejoin the track, only to be black flagged! What for? Cutting a corner!? I was on a straight when I went off, so I couldn't have gained anything if I tried.

I never had such problems except in Donington. I wasn't very good at this circuit.
I remember the Williams FW11 tournament was quite hard, as well as Group B rallyes.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Phoenix wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

I never had such problems except in Donington. I wasn't very good at this circuit.
I remember the Williams FW11 tournament was quite hard, as well as Group B rallyes.

I loved the rally stages, especially the Group Bs and the Stratoses. Not much trouble with the FW11, but the FW18 is a b*t*h!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I have a hell of a lot of racing games on PS2 and XBox 360; the Gran Turismos, Forzas, Project Gotham Racing 4, the TOCAs, Colin McRae, as well as all the crazy ones like Micro Machines! On PC, I had F1 Challenge, but then I had to wipe everything off of my computer when I got a virus, and that included all the mods and extra tracks etc. IF1C is great, but I'm now considering giving rFactor a try.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

One of the best racing games I've played was F-Zero GX for the Gamecube (the console with a handle for ease of transportation). So fast, you nearly felt dizzy playing it. Excellent though.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

How do you make a car livery for GP4, I might make an F1Rejects team livery. No prizes for guessing that the drivers will be HWNSNBM and Kobayashi with Badoer as the tester. I actually tried to change the HWNSNBM's actual name to HWNSNBM on the 2004 mod.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

watka wrote:I have a hell of a lot of racing games on PS2 and XBox 360; the Gran Turismos, Forzas, Project Gotham Racing 4, the TOCAs, Colin McRae, as well as all the crazy ones like Micro Machines! On PC, I had F1 Challenge, but then I had to wipe everything off of my computer when I got a virus, and that included all the mods and extra tracks etc. IF1C is great, but I'm now considering giving rFactor a try.

rFactor is probably the Sim-Racing Hacienda, so many Mods, countless tracks, if you go to rfactorcentral, they are all there, I reccomend you get GP79, which obviously contains all the cars from the 1979 f1 season, and also some of the tracks from that very season, including the old Kyalami and the 75-86 Silverstone layout, and as its a sim, the online participants are very strict in regards to what can (or in this case what cannot) be used, which kind of cocked up the attempt to make a 1996 ITC Mod (cars with permanent driver aids).

There are also plenty of mods of old F1 seasons, thus the cars that we appreciate on this website and forum, can be enjoyed by anyone with a thirst for personal rejectdom.

I did have a breif spat in the sim-racing world, after I got fed up of Forza 2, I'm more of a console Arc/Sim person when I realised the transition I had to make, while rFactor may have been brilliant, It was shark infested waters for any consolers/newbs, so I had to earn my stripes on Live For Speed's CTRA events, (potentially an online FIA), the tracks and cars may not have been real but the effects of driving a 1.1litre hatchback around trying to perfect a line was VERY difficult, but rewarding when your laptimes began to tumble, unfortunately the CTRA had to fold, despite the amount of participants, and a "ladder" in not only road cars, but single seaters, according to the CTRA themselves they couldnt get funding to keep the servers going, which was a shame, there 18 competitors getting the top level single seater licence (super-licence? hello?!?), could have had an Official online F1 championship, imagine the backing that could have recieved.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I never intend to play online, I don't have the bandwidth and I find some people very annoying just on Halo 3.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

watka wrote:I never intend to play online, I don't have the bandwidth and I find some people very annoying just on Halo 3.

To me, there are two kind's of people on XBOX Live (and PSN) - people whose voices have broken, and people whose voices have not broken. They all sound the same.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Grand Prix 4's my definite favourite. I don't play it much anymore though. As much as I enjoy my stunning mixed weather tactical drives and multilap battles, I haven't got time or energy for full-length races and shorter ones just don't hold the same appeal for me.

Playing Need for Speed: Shift (which is only okay, basically I've got no feel between slight understeer and massive oversteer no matter what I do to the steering wheel or control sensitivity settings) and the brilliant TrackMania Nations at the moment. Here's my StadiumCar:

Did it in the in-game editor. I'll get around to doing it properly in photoshop at some stage.
Last edited by Enforcer on 03 Jan 2010, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Enforcer wrote:and the brilliant TrackMania Nations at the moment.

Whats your username? I will kick your ass on dirt :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

kostas22 wrote:
Enforcer wrote:and the brilliant TrackMania Nations at the moment.

Whats your username? I will kick your ass on dirt :D

sir_enforcer. I'm a regular on a server where the admins hate dirt, so I don't get much practice at it, so it won't take a lot to kick my ass. ;)
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

shinji wrote:
watka wrote:I never intend to play online, I don't have the bandwidth and I find some people very annoying just on Halo 3.

To me, there are two kind's of people on XBOX Live (and PSN) - people whose voices have broken, and people whose voices have not broken. They all sound the same.

Not all people online are like that. The other day I raced a few people from another forum on Midnight Club LA (PS3) and it was a lot of fun.
Also, would anyone be interested in a F1 Rejects Online Racing Tournament? (on other forums I post at there are quite a few of these)
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

MinardiFan95 wrote:
shinji wrote:

Not all people online are like that. The other day I raced a few people from another forum on Midnight Club LA (PS3) and it was a lot of fun.
Also, would anyone be interested in a F1 Rejects Online Racing Tournament? (on other forums I post at there are quite a few of these)

Yes, however I don't have Xbox Live or own a PS3.
Can I propose Trackmania Nations for a race on?
Its free to download so anyone who doesn't already have it can get it quickly...

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:NASCAR Racing 2003 is still the best racing game out there, IMO.

Absolutely, I run an online league with that game. Open Wheel 2007 mod. Mostly road courses, with a bunch of guys who are used to driving ovals. I also make videos with it, where I treat AI racing as if it was real racing, with actual characters and such... <_<;
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Woot, I've got rFactor now, and more importantly, the 1988 mod! Rial, Coloni, AGS, EuroBrun and the like all in their full glory!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

kostas22 wrote:Yes, however I don't have Xbox Live or own a PS3.
Its free to download so anyone who doesn't already have it can get it quickly...

Once I get around to downloading it (Most probably on Monday after I upload some pics on Facebook of my Planespotting trip at Mascot tomorrow morning) I'll be more than happy to organise and host a once or twice a week F1 Rejects Trackmania bash with tracks made by the F1 Rejects Community :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

kostas22 wrote:Can I propose Trackmania Nations for a race on?

The install file isn't working for me; is anyone else having this problem?
Also, I don't think that my computer would be powerful enough to run the game even if I could get it to work.
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

MinardiFan95 wrote:Also, I don't think that my computer would be powerful enough to run the game even if I could get it to work.

I'm running it on a little 10 inch netbook, at the maximum resolution my monitor is designed for, with no problems.
I'm pretty sure it would run... :mrgreen:

http://www.trackmania.com/ - Click on the Trackmania Nations Forever (not United) button on the right hand side to download.

Image Image
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Wizzie wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Yes, however I don't have Xbox Live or own a PS3.

Once I get around to downloading it (Most probably on Monday after I upload some pics on Facebook of my Planespotting trip at Mascot tomorrow morning) I'll be more than happy to organise and host a once or twice a week F1 Rejects Trackmania bash with tracks made by the F1 Rejects Community :mrgreen:

Neato. I have TM versions of Monza and Interlagos (although I have to put in the walls and run off areas around this one because the track is suspended in mid air to get in the elevation changes). Working on a concept called "The Tilkedrome" too.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Enforcer wrote:Neato. I have TM versions of Monza and Interlagos (although I have to put in the walls and run off areas around this one because the track is suspended in mid air to get in the elevation changes). Working on a concept called "The Tilkedrome" too.

Haha. Funny you should mention that, I made a TM Monza too! I also made Albert Park and most importantly, the Hungaroring :mrgreen:

I have uploaded Melbourne GP track and my Glasgow Park concept to the internets for you to download and play - this is my entire track list (so far).
Some maps are tiny and suck because I used to drive for a LOLTeam (Its just really short tracks :lol:) and also alot of dirt...as I race for Team WRC now.
My Trackmania Forever tracks

Image Image
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

kostas22 wrote:
Enforcer wrote:Neato. I have TM versions of Monza and Interlagos (although I have to put in the walls and run off areas around this one because the track is suspended in mid air to get in the elevation changes). Working on a concept called "The Tilkedrome" too.

Haha. Funny you should mention that, I made a TM Monza too! I also made Albert Park and most importantly, the Hungaroring :mrgreen:

I have uploaded Melbourne GP track and my Glasgow Park concept to the internets for you to download and play - this is my entire track list (so far).
Some maps are tiny and suck because I used to drive for a LOLTeam (Its just really short tracks :lol:) and also alot of dirt...as I race for Team WRC now.
My Trackmania Forever tracks

Cool stuff. A lot of people make Monza because it's one of the easier GP tracks, I think. I'm with the non-competition Bipolar Bears (And if they had a team, I most definitely wouldn't make it). I'll upload mine tomorrow when my internet's a bit more co-operative.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Sorry guys. Downloading the installer is turning out to be an absolute nightmare (4 attepts, 4 failures before it reached 3% complete).
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Wizzie wrote:(4 attepts, 4 failures before it reached 3% complete).

Could be the qualifying history of Perry McCarthy as well.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

mediocre wrote:
Wizzie wrote:(4 attepts, 4 failures before it reached 3% complete).

Could be the qualifying history of Perry McCarthy as well.

I have a McCarthy-esque record on the game itself. TM doesn't have qualifying, but I only ever finish about 1 race in 5 and even then, its usually last! :D

Image Image
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Outrun Online arcade on the PS3. Every time I am back home, I play it.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Anybody up for a game of Forza 3/Race Pro/Colin McRae Dirt 2 on Xbox Live soon? Just bought all 3 today :D

Image Image
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

kostas22 wrote:Anybody up for a game of Forza 3/Race Pro/Colin McRae Dirt 2 on Xbox Live soon? Just bought all 3 today :D

Wow that was quite a spending spree. I have Forza 3 and Race Pro. Though I have to warn you the multiplayer on both is pretty bad for finding races. Once you get in one its good though. I dont go on xbl much these days but I'll give you a race sometime.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

kostas22 wrote:Anybody up for a game of Forza 3/Race Pro/Colin McRae Dirt 2 on Xbox Live soon? Just bought all 3 today :D

PM me your XBox Live name and I'll give you a game of Forza 3 at some point ;)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:

Like Tealy said, a spending spreed it was...though I ran out of money before getting a Xbox Live Gold subscription :lol:
So it could be next week, could be months!

BTW do you use the clutch in FM3? It seems pretty worthless as there aren't any Xbobx compatible steering wheels with 3 pedals...

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

kostas22 wrote:
watka wrote:

Like Tealy said, a spending spreed it was...though I ran out of money before getting a Xbox Live Gold subscription :lol:
So it could be next week, could be months!

BTW do you use the clutch in FM3? It seems pretty worthless as there aren't any Xbobx compatible steering wheels with 3 pedals...

I just use the controller (I haven't got a wheel), and I use auto-shifting. I usually have anti lock brakes on too. :oops:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:I just use the controller (I haven't got a wheel), and I use auto-shifting. I usually have anti lock brakes on too. :oops:

:lol: This should be easy then! I had Stabilty Control, Traction Control and Anti-Lock Brakes turned off all the time in FM2 (basically all settings to maximum) and still found it too easy! (And manual gears btw).

And I have a Logitech DriveFX wheel...only £20 brand new!

FYI my Xbox gamertag is the same as my username here ;)

Image Image